PDA

View Full Version : Can't find auto chop

Rich Deustachio
11-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Where is the auto chop button on the capture panel, I can't seem to find it and the manual doesn't mention it.

Rich Deustachio
11-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Is auto chop just on SE standalone because I don't see it in VT5 and no mention of it in the manual for VT5?

Rich Deustachio
11-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Nobody can or wants to respond to this? I could have sworn SE had an auto chop feature for capturing, but I do not see it in VT5. Am I looking in the wrong place or is it just not there?

Anyone?

Rich Deustachio
11-19-2007, 10:27 AM
knock...... knock...... knock......is this thing on?

Rich Deustachio
11-19-2007, 11:35 AM
I found how to get to auto chop. You have to go to use the capture panel from the SE interface, not the VT[5] capture panel. Why it isn't in the VT[5] capture panel I don't know but I was able to find it and just wanted to let everyone know that is where it is if your looking for it.

Have a nice day!

Scott Bates
11-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks Rich, good to know. Yes "This Thing Is (and has been) On" :D and I've seen your inquiries about Auto Chop the past few days, but am just getting back to exploring VT[5] after fighting a bunch of other fires. So far I like what I'm seeing in VT[5], but haven't had much time to play yet.

Rich Deustachio
11-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for replying, the auto chop feature for me was a very welcomed feature addition and will be a big time saver. It is just strange that it wasn't accessible n the regular VT[5] capture panel.

Lee U
11-22-2007, 09:02 AM
The last time I used auto chop(vt4.6) I lost several frames in the process. Another NLE that I used didn't drop any frames.. Are you experiencing this or is it my setup?

Rich Deustachio
11-24-2007, 09:30 PM
So far the auto chop has worked fine, the only problem is that in order to use it you have to use the SE capture panel and not the VT[5] capture panel which places limits such as only seeing the video in a very small window and no audio monitoring.

If capturing DV in the VT[5] capture panel allows audio to be heard, why can't we hear it when using the SE panel? It's all DV capturing.

ScorpioProd
11-25-2007, 02:18 AM
Remember, VT[4] couldn't transfer in firewired DV and save it as a Type-2 DV and be able to keep the A/V in sync...

Newtek specificially told me the problem was because they were also decoding it for the preview audio/video at the same time... And Type-2 DV creation involves the decompressing of the compressed audio in a raw DV to the uncompressed PCM track muxed in the Type-2 DV AVI.

In the life of the VT[4], this problem was NOT able to be fixed by Newtek...

So I assume that is the reason VT[5] is the way it is...

This is different from the way all other NLEs do it since Newtek is only willing to decode and play through the VT card and give it full quality and perfect A/V sync... So it's an either/or kind of issue, since Newtek doesn't seem willing to do a "preview quality" preview like all the other manufacturers do while capturing.

Personally, I definately think they should, but this is a limitation of having a real-time switcher that's real-time all the time. How does Newtek know if you're gonna try and put that firewire input on the switcher and then expect to switch it in real-time? They don't, in fact, they probably assume you would.

Rich Deustachio
11-25-2007, 09:52 AM
So since I can hear the DV audio in the VT[5] capture panel , that means it will probably not be in sync when capturing like VT[4] was? Then why if I set it to Type1 in the capture panel the audio is in sync and I can hear it, I am confused.

ScorpioProd
11-25-2007, 12:15 PM
I would be very cautious about Type-2 DV captured in VT[5] unless you can prove to yourself empirically that there are no captured A/V sync issues. That said, everyone didn't have the sync problem in VT[4], but a lot did. I have heard nothing from Newtek suggesting this is fixed in VT[5].

As for Type-1 DV, that should be fine, just as it was in VT[4]. Type-1 DV does NOT need to do any audio conversion in the process of coming from the raw DV stream, it is merely a clip of the DV compressed video AND compressed audio. So since there is no "conversion" of the audio happening, there's not danger of it going out of sync. The audio and video are interleaved in Type-1, it's not possible for it to go out of sync.

It's just that Type-1 DV isn't compatible with many applications, SpeedEDIT and VT being an exception to this. It's a problem if you need to use the files elsewhere. Type-1 also requires more conforming time in SpeedEDIT/VT than Type-2 would, based on the way the audio is different.

Note that everything I've talked about here only involves DV coming over firewire. This doesn't relate to analog into a VT being compressed and saved as DV, that should be fine.

And in all my experiences with SpeedEDIT, since it does NOT preview the audio capture, all the DV I capture in it I capture as Type-2 and I've had NO A/V sync problems, while in VT[4] no way could I say that.

wvp
11-26-2007, 05:42 AM
...And in all my experiences with SpeedEDIT, since it does NOT preview the audio capture, all the DV I capture in it I capture as Type-2 and I've had NO A/V sync problems, while in VT[4] no way could I say that.
SO to summarize what Eugene said,
SE (so far) should be fine with Type 2 because of its window size and lack of audio preview while the VT capture may have type 2 issues just as it did in VT4.

Rich Deustachio
11-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Ok I think I understand it now. VT4 and VT5 have to separate the Type2 DV audio and convert it to get it to hear the audio, and when VT4 maybe VT5 does this it makes the audio go out of sync. This is a good explanation of why we can't hear the audio when directly capturing DV in SE, but doesn't explain why they didn't add the auto chop button the to DV capture panel in VT[5].

Thanks Eugene for the audio explanation.

chuckd
11-27-2007, 08:21 AM
This is a good explanation of why we can't hear the audio when directly capturing DV in SE, but doesn't explain why they didn't add the auto chop button the to DV capture panel in VT[5].

I think what you're seeing here is an example of two products with different development being put together with (semi-)overlapping functionality. SE has slightly different capture capabilities because it's part of a DV-centric editing product whereas the general VT capture panel is for a product that is a live switcher with recording capabilities.
I think that there will, by necessity, be some differences-- no analog in for SE being the most obvious. I would expect, though, that those differences will be minimized with time.