PDA

View Full Version : DVE Path in VT5

SteelPicR
11-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I wanted to move the DVE's from the default install location of VT5. I have looked in the preferences, (many times now), and I can't find a setting for the root path...the manual says it's there but I can't find it. The DVE's that I have tried seem to work in the new location but the DVE tab on the file bin points to the old location. What am I missing?

SBowie
11-17-2007, 11:46 AM
I think it's gone from Prefs, but you can modify the Quicktab at the bottom of Filebins easily for yourself. To remove the default DVE tab, just click it and then click the minus sign at left.

Then go to the DVE folder you want do to point at, right click inside it, and select Folder Properties. Enter "DVEs" for the alias filed, click Apply then Close. Finish up by clicking the + sign at left-bottom to add the new DVE's Quicktab.

SteelPicR
11-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the reply Steve. I did try deleting the default DVE tab last night. I created a tab in the new location and that worked fine. I turned the machine on this morning and the default DVE tab was back along with the new one I created.

When I moved the DVE folder from the default location onto a media drive, I just cut the folder and then pasted it into the other drive. Is that the correct way to do that?

SBowie
11-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Steve. I did try deleting the default DVE tab last night.Hitting the "-" button after clicking it should work - can't offer anything intelligent if it doesn't. :(

I turned the machine on this morning and the default DVE tab was back along with the new one I created.I suppose you could click on the 'bogus one', then use Folder Properties to remove the unwanted DVE alias from it, then delete the tab ... shouldn't be such a fussy operation, I don't think.

When I moved the DVE folder from the default location onto a media drive, I just cut the folder and then pasted it into the other drive. Is that the correct way to do that?Well, I can't see why it wouldn't work, but mayhaps there's something I am unaware of. When you drag a folder to a different drive, it usually does a copy operation, leaving the original behind ... maybe you've got two?

SteelPicR
11-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Once again, thanks for the reply. I used the cut function because I didn't want the DVE's on the system drive. The original DVE folder is not in the default locatrion any more so I don't think I have two DVE folders on the machine. It's a small thing and all seems to work with the test I've done, but I sure want to see everything in order for the new VT5.

SBowie
11-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Sure - but you might want to click the 'bogus' tab, and see where it takes you ... :p

SteelPicR
11-17-2007, 03:58 PM
The default DVE tab that came back after deleting it takes me to C:>Program Files>Newtek>VT5...which I believe is the default location for DVE's. The tab I created takes me to where I moved the DVE file folder as it should.

SBowie
11-17-2007, 06:01 PM
The default DVE tab that came back after deleting it takes me to C:>Program Files>Newtek>VT5...which I believe is the default location for DVE's. The tab I created takes me to where I moved the DVE file folder as it should.And, if you click on the bogus one, then click the minus, exit and re-launch VT, it comes back?

SteelPicR
11-18-2007, 10:27 AM
And, if you click on the bogus one, then click the minus, exit and re-launch VT, it comes back?

Yes. I just tried it again. The original DVE tab returns. It's like VT5 has a need for the default DVE tab and / or location. Seems like there should be a way to set the root path for DVEs somewhere???

SBowie
11-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Why so it does ... how odd.

ted
11-18-2007, 11:39 AM
You can probably find the command that tells it where to go by default and change that...but I'm not brave enough to try that. :D

I'd submit this as a bug. I'm sure NewTek would understand that most users want content where they want it for various reasons. I know I do.

KiloWatkins
11-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Don't forget, the new DVEs are remade universal NTSC/PAL and aliased for HD/HDV, afaik. Maybe a point as to why they keep defaulting.

billmi
11-19-2007, 03:41 PM
They are still actually separate DVE files for NTSC Pal - they just have a new directory structure that makes that distinction transparent. When you click on or drag a new DVE you're really grabbing a text file. The real DVE files (PAL or NTSC versions are in a subfolder called DVEData, and VT[5] is smart enough to pick the right one for the format you are working in.