PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SmoothShift

drago_ez
11-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I've got problem with the Smooth Shift in Modeler. My case is:
I'm modeling a character body. I have the torso (SubPatch applied) and I need to to extrude the arms from it. I select 4 poligons (forming a quadrangle) and apply Smooth Shift to extrude them as an arm. As I pull the 4 selected poligons with Smooth Shift, they break connection with each other and start deviating (i.e. errors occur during the smooth shift). So I get a non-solid limb every time I apply Smooth Shift and can't do good further shaping.
How can I fix that error?

Sarford
11-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Smoothshift uses the normals of the polies to scale along, this can give some strange results sometimes.
A solution is to
- select the polies you wanna extend,
- select your smooth shift tool,
- click the polies,
- change your tool to the move tool,
- translate the polies any way you want to.

Another way is to kill the polies you want to extend. Select the point on the loop wich was created by deleting the polies.
- hit 'e'
- translate
- hit 'e' for a new extennsion
- translate
- hit 'e for a new extention
- ... etc...

Surrealist.
11-16-2007, 02:42 PM
What version of LightWave are you using? Also can you post a screen shot?

Since 8.5 we have Multishift which is a real nice tool. Also if you are on an older version there is Suppershift. Both will do the job. And lastly you can also try extender plus (e) on selected polys with the move tool.

If suppershift is not working properly it can most likely be fixed by deleting the config file.

Surrealist.
11-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Ha! Funny, I don't use smooth shift anymore(other than a very simple test I had did before posting). So I thought I'd use it again on a rather complex object I am working on. What do you know it started breaking up! I seem to remember that Suppershift (newer more flexible Smoothift) was kind of broken when they introduced 8.5 and Multishift which has basically replaced it. But prior to 8.5 I used SmoothShift often on older tutorials (pre Suppershift). The models were quite complex and Smoothshift seemed to work fine. I'd say it is basically broken and the best idea would be to use the other tools. You can of course try and use the delete-config fix but based on Sarford's post, I'd say its busted and just use the newer tools instead. :)

Sande
11-16-2007, 04:35 PM
I almost always use move tool with smooth shift (or bevel) - kind of like Sarford's example I guess. I just select the polies I want to smooth shift, press shift-F (smoothshift default shortcut IF I remember correctly), click right mouse button (which makes the smooth shift polies) and then press "t" for move tool and move those polies to their right place - to put it short: select, shift-F, RMB, t.

Silkrooster
11-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Problem with the bevel tool is it does not have a switch to group the polys as one or keep the seperate like the multishift tool does. Which is why I normally stay with the multishift if I need to inset the polys.
If I only need to shift the polys(extrusion), I normally use the move tool with extender plus.
Sometimes I even use the size or stretch tools when there is an issue in the corners where the points pass each other.
It all depends on the shape of the object and where the new polys must be created.
Before the multishift tool, smoothshift was one of my favorite tools though.
Silk

Exception
11-16-2007, 09:52 PM
I find it is usually easier to just merge the polys (shift-z) and use normal bevel, if it's not imperative to keep those separated. In this case it doesn't sound like it is.

Other than that, multibevel isn't so bad, neither is JettoBevel which is a free tool that does the same but simpler.

meshpig
11-16-2007, 10:42 PM
I've got problem with the Smooth Shift in Modeler. My case is:
I'm modeling a character body. I have the torso (SubPatch applied) and I need to to extrude the arms from it. I select 4 poligons (forming a quadrangle) and apply Smooth Shift to extrude them as an arm. As I pull the 4 selected poligons with Smooth Shift, they break connection with each other and start deviating (i.e. errors occur during the smooth shift). So I get a non-solid limb every time I apply Smooth Shift and can't do good further shaping.
How can I fix that error?

Smoothshift doesn't really do what it is supposed to. It's good for boxes which are aligned to the axes. You can shift x number of polys along x,y,z no problem but on an angle it will distort.

-The reason a block of polys appear to break connection is that they aren't connected to begin with.

-For extruding the arm, so long as the polys are aligned x, y or z, there's no problem.

If you are dealing with an already developed mesh, you can use a spline to patch the faces or extend them once and knife the sections you want for bends.

m

Surrealist.
11-17-2007, 01:18 AM
My understanding of the history of Multishift is as follows:

1. Smooth Shift.

The Smooth Shift tool (Multiply > Extend: Smooth Shift) is a beguiling tool that may not seem
useful at first; however, you will find a variety of uses for it, like creating thin grooves in an object.
Smooth Shift moves selected polygons along their smoothed vertex normals. The smoothed vertex
normal is computed using the average of the normals for the polygons that share that vertex. This
tool is similar to Bevel; however, Bevel applies effects individually to each selected polygon, whereas
Smooth Shift treats all selected polygons as a group.

2. Super Shift.

Super Shift ( Multiply> Extend: Super Shift) is an interactive tool similar to Smooth Shift, which
allows you to inset and shift groups of polygons together. Unlike Smooth Shift, this tool lets you
interactively inset the selected polygons by dragging the mouse left/right. Furthermore, the inset
algorithm used can be chosen along with the shifting algorithm through the numeric panel.

3. Multishift.

Multishift is an interactive tool similar to Smooth Shift, which allows you to inset and shift groups of polygons together. Unlike Smooth Shift, this tool lets you interactively inset the selected polygons by dragging the mouse left/right. Furthermore, the inset algorithm used can be chosen along with the shifting algorithm through the numeric panel.