PDA

View Full Version : more frame seq compatibility

cresshead
11-16-2007, 09:37 AM
i'm aware that TGA is the prefered file format for use within speed edit but i can't fathom out just ''why'' speed edit has shunned the use of png and jpg frame sequences as being able to be imported and displayed as 'clips' on the timeline.

the tga format seems to offer nothing of and advantage over png and in fact png can hold 'billions' of colours...not so sure tga can do that plus tga is HUGE in file size in comparision to PNG so you looking at least DOUBLE the storage space for a frame sequence compared to png with no other advantage as i'm aware of currently...enlighten me if there's something 'worth the storage space'

with jpg though it's a lossy format it's ideal top render to for background plates or animations not needing alpha channels and in comparision to TGA it's around 10% of the file size when you use top quality compression....many people do not render out to 'video' as a render can hang and corrupt a long render as an avi or quicktime.

thoughts?

SBowie
11-16-2007, 10:26 AM
not so sure tga can do that ...plus tga is HUGE in file size in comparision to PNG That, of course, may be the reason for the limitation ... or at least may have been originally.

Back in the mists of time, one of the reasons the VT could do its uncompressed magic was because it was uncompressed - no de-compression, lesser hit on the cpu. TARGA's are not as heavily compressed as PNGs, so same thing is true, Now that said, of course, CPUs are much faster now than previously, and I would be surprised if our friendly neighborhood aliens couldn't pull this off now. I'm hopeful.

(JPEG may be in the same boat, but I can take them or leave them personally - no objection to support, but would really like to see PNG.)

UnCommonGrafx
11-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I'll add my voice to this seemingly easy to get feature.

PNGs are THE format of the day. I use them, primarily, unless a program demands something else.

I would like to have the same behaviour for PNGs that TGAs are treated with. Even better would be all of the formats treated like that with a toggle for sequence vs still: drag with ctrl pressed down and it will be a still; otherwise, any frame dragged to the timeline would pull in all the images in a contiguous sequence.

Cineman
11-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Steve,

I find your first sentence, and start of the run on next, very convoluted and contradictory, based on the history of NewTek's VT.

Back in the mists of time, one of the reasons the VT could do its uncompressed magic was because it was uncompressed - no de-compression, lesser hit on the cpu. TARGA's are not as heavily compressed as PNGs,
From memory, starting in the second or third month of 2000, the voice of NewTek, started recommending that users save, for alpha stills, PNGs instead of the manuals suggested TGAs. Since that was also about two months after the release of Video Toaster [2], your "mists of time" above, must precede the VT, it seems. But no, you equivocate it to being for the VT...

I tend to think the Targa Sequence was a matter of borrowing someone else's code, maybe Digital Juice, maybe Art Beats, maybe some other; instead of writing original code for the VT system. Of course, it could be some other reason entirely; but think not the one you suggest above.

Nes Gurley

SBowie
11-17-2007, 07:11 AM
There have been many changes over time, even between builds. You may well be correct in terms of recommendations at a given point in time. That said, de-compression = cpu cycles, more de-compression = more cpu time.

The princicple is unwavering, modified only by optimized routines or instructions, or dedicated hdwe.

From memory, starting in the second or third month of 2000, the voice of NewTek, started recommending that users save, for alpha stills, PNGs instead of the manuals suggested TGAs.And you criticize my grammar? Good grief.

Rich Deustachio
11-17-2007, 11:57 AM
AE allows PNG image sequences to be used, it is as standard as TGAs. How does SE handle PNG images different from AE that won't allow them to be used or is it just the fact that it hasn't been written in to be used that way?

SBowie
11-17-2007, 12:09 PM
It's different, Rich - AE is not pretending to be a 'realtime' app. Unpacking compressed files on the fly at 30fps is not a small trick. (Again, this is not to say that it can't be done with todays more powerful cpus ... I don't know enough about the complexity to state one way or the other.)