PDA

View Full Version : frames on timeline please

cresshead
11-16-2007, 09:31 AM
seeing as i come from using lightwave, 3dsmax, combustion etc where they are ALL capable/based around ''frames'' rather than 'time' it would really help
if speed edit also had a preference setting to see frames ratheer than seconds on the timeline...should be a simple fix of some calculation/conversion code to change the timeline from 'time' to show frame numbers.

i think quite a lot of animators animate to frames rather than time so this ouwl sit well with those getting the lightwave up grade bundle with speed edit.

cresshead
11-16-2007, 09:39 AM
i'll just add that i cannot see WHY this feature has not and could not be added in a free point update...it would open up speed edit to more animators rather than scare them off the product.

selefice
11-22-2007, 03:32 AM
We cannot work without frames
We are animators...
IF there is supposed to be a combination of Lightwave and SpeedEdit please add frames...

cresshead
11-22-2007, 11:06 AM
We cannot work without frames
We are animators...
IF there is supposed to be a combination of Lightwave and SpeedEdit please add frames...
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

:D

get that point update out!:thumbsup: :newtek:

SBowie
11-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Just for the moment (while waiting for a handy 'frames overlay' feature), perhaps you'll find these files useful:

Framecount Overlay download (http://www.vtworx.com/Resources/frcount.zip)

Unzip and drop both files into a convenient folder somewhere on your video drive. When you need a frame overlay in a project, drag the icon for 'frames_alias.vtd' onto the timeline, to start at frame 0 in the project. This will give you a 1 hour overlay in a 30 fps project, longer of course at 24 or 25.

(The instance file is set up for an NTSC SD project, but can easily be tweaked of course.)

cresshead
11-23-2007, 03:34 PM
cool!
as soon as i get my quadcore pc back [has speed edit on it] i'll try out that overlay zip with it...just have to wait a few days as my pc is having a different m/board and upping to 8gig ram...hope speed edit continues to work when it comes back...if not will get another key file from newtek via email sorted out.

cheers for the link!

billmi
11-28-2007, 05:59 AM

Or you could go the other way - switch LightWave to work in SMPTE, that's what I do.

It would be nice to have the same flexibility in Speed Edit though, to switch timeline labeling to your preferred format.

cresshead
11-28-2007, 11:38 AM
i find the lack of frames displayed on the timeline of speed edit a workflow killer one that will SLOW DOWN everything as i sit there decifering seconds into frames with a calculator etc...

utterly ludicrous inn my opinion!...it may as well display ''nothing''..grrr!
yup grumpy...just sort this out in a freepoint update..like err NOW!

to have to use the genourous workaround from someone else is just 'so newtek'....

SBowie
11-28-2007, 12:01 PM
It does seem like something that might not be too diffult ... maybe for 1.7, or 2.0! :)

to have to use the genourous workaround from someone else is just 'so newtek'....Howzat working for you? OK? (I tried a few file formats with a view to getting file size down while still keeping it frame accurate, and was surprised in the end to settle on Sorenson3 as optimal!)

cresshead
11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
well..still waiting to get my new quadcore pc with speed edit back from the computer shop
it's getting upp'd to 8 gig ram and different m/board [that can use 8 gig...not the 4gig limit of the other m/board]

cresshead
01-26-2008, 04:15 AM
that's a great work around btw..so THANK YOU!