PDA

View Full Version : does plug-in exist for importing a CSV file?

Rick Hall
11-16-2007, 05:23 AM
Is there a way I can take data in a CSV (comma separated values) or Excel file and have it control an object in Lightwave? I would like to have the data control the x,y,z and h,p,b at a time fixed time interval. So, every 10 seconds I'll have a data set. I could have a hundred sets or more in a single file.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lightwolf
11-16-2007, 05:42 AM
Not natively... but a (custom) LScript could do that for you.

Cheers,
Mike

UnCommonGrafx
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
TransMotion has one, I believe:
http://www.ats-3d.com/

Push come to shove, though, I have used excel to give me a csv with all I need in it to drive an object.

Here's a way to get acclimated to make this happen for you...
Open an empty scene.
Add a null.
Move it a bunch. You want a LOT of keyframes.
Save the scene.
Look at the scene file in notepad. (DO NOT use a program like word as it will add crap to the file upon saving.)
-- Note the numbers associated with your object and how precise the numbers need to be.
Go back to lw and animate the rotation.
Save scene.
Open the newly saved scene in notepad and notice the rotation channels and where they've been added and anything else that clicks for you.
Lastly, do a size/scale animation and rinse and repeat the above.

From there, you have enough evidence to go about putting together a file that you can just replace the animation data in a notepad-loaded scene. (that's a convoluted sentence. If it doesn't make sense, let me know.)

One of the coolest things I've done with this is to make an airplane take off before it crashes. I had FAA data and everything. Very cool.

Phil
11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
TransMotion direct image example from the site mentioned above, for convenience :

Rick Hall
11-17-2007, 09:00 AM
WOW! That is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Rick

Riff_Masteroff
11-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks so much for bringing up the possibility of inputing data from an excel export into Lightwave.

One question: Does transmotion work with the current version of LW (9.3.x)?

I am going to have to check this out in my spare time (none to be had for this moment). Generally I use LW for stuff most others don't use it for. That is actual (big time) building construction. Not marketing visualization but VDC (virtual / design / & construction).

Riff Masteroff