PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial LW T-shirt or not

Kuzey
11-16-2007, 04:35 AM
Hi guys,

We all know how busy Newtek can be with all the important stuff, like making LW better to forget the little things, like merchandise etc....so I thought I'd make my own for fun.

I thought I'd better post the graphic first before making the t-shirt at cafepress...I don't want to get into trouble with the makers of the software I love :hey:

Hey Chuck, Jay....what do you guys think, can I go ahead or not ? :help:

Kuzey

Phil
11-16-2007, 04:40 AM
That would look great as an enamel badge ;)

colkai
11-16-2007, 07:22 AM
indeed! :)

Matt
11-16-2007, 10:09 AM
That would look great as an enamel badge ;)

Keychain!!!! Yay!

LW_Will
11-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Wow... a Dongle Fob!

Er... TM 2007!

;-)

Sande
11-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Hood of my car! :)

Exception
11-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Planted in flower formation on the lawn of the white house!

nomad108
11-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Computer case! :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
11-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Grill for my teeth! :D

Kuzey
11-16-2007, 01:58 PM
You guys are nuts....I tell you :hey:

I was thinking it could be a simple replacement for the current lw icon but then again I'm nuts too :screwy: :stumped:

That would make a cool helipad.

:D

Kuzey

DarkLight
11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
You guys are nuts....I tell you :hey:

You've been on the forum since 2003 and only now you notice? :screwy:

Kuzey
11-16-2007, 02:12 PM
You've been on the forum since 2003 and only now you notice? :screwy:

Yes, it's hard to notice when everyone is crazy....that would look quite normal when you're in the middle of it.....I think :help:

Kuzey

Andyjaggy
11-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Make a hat as well, while your at it.

Phil
11-16-2007, 02:28 PM
It did occur to me that it would make a cool replacement for the red hot in the middle of my frying pan. The LW logo would appear when it is at the right temperature.

StereoMike
11-16-2007, 02:32 PM
i have the same pan!

Andyjaggy
11-16-2007, 02:50 PM
How about a cup toaster as well!!!!! The possibilities are endless.

Sande
11-16-2007, 02:57 PM
i have the same pan!
And I just watched a commercial of those pans - seems like those pans are hot at the moment! ;)

Funky Monkey
11-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Hubcaps for my car.

art
11-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Contact lenses

Lewis
11-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Skin for a Logitech mouse series :) :)?

Andyjaggy
11-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Just said hubcap then noticed it was allready said..........

Okay.......... How about national flag?

Phil
11-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Curtains?

Intuition
11-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the new LW layout icon. ;D !!!

Puguglybonehead
11-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Boxer shorts! :hey:

Exception
11-16-2007, 09:19 PM
I want it on my pillow, a hot water bottle shaped liked it, and a blowup version. Who needs women anyway?

othornton
11-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Tattooed on the back of my neck.

-Oliver

StereoMike
11-17-2007, 02:58 AM
As sticker on the back of my car, you know, like all these apples.

mike

Kuzey
11-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Boxer shorts...I like that one :hey:

How about Lw candy, whenever you need a sugar rush you just pop one into your mouth and you're good to go.

Kuzey

androidmaker
11-17-2007, 03:35 AM
you can have it put on m&m candys at http://www.mymms.com/business/

Kuzey
11-17-2007, 04:06 AM
That's cool....those m&m people must be nuts just like us :D

If anybody has a birthday coming up use the design for the cake top and post a pic :beerchug:

Kuzey

Phil
11-17-2007, 04:22 AM
If someone was causing trouble, you could give them a green version of that.

Kuzey
11-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Mmmmmm no word from Newtek......I guess that means no news is good news. :hey:

Anyway, I finally did it....got the store up :thumbsup:

http://www.cafepress.com/kuzey3d

And boy do they look great....Newtek, I would hire this Kuzey fella if I were you :D

ps. the LW logo belongs to Newtek and Newtek only.

Kuzey

kopperdrake
11-20-2007, 08:58 AM
<sniff> wouldn't mind one but in the UK here :D You need to add it to http://www.tshirtstudio.com too ;)

Chris S. (Fez)
11-20-2007, 09:25 AM
You might want to wait for word from Newtek before attempting to profit from their trademarked logo. Perhaps they would be willing to offer you some sort of official royalty contract.

Have you seen the actual printed shirts? Do they look just like the pictures? Do they "POP" off the shirt?

spec24
11-20-2007, 09:30 AM
You might want to wait for word from Newtek before attempting to profit from their trademarked logo. Perhaps they would be willing to offer you some sort of official royalty contract.

Have you seen the actual printed shirts? Do they look just like the pictures? Do they "POP" off the shirt?

Took the words out of my mouth Chris. My guess is they will kindly ask you to take them down.

Puguglybonehead
11-20-2007, 04:24 PM
That's cool....those m&m people must be nuts just like us :D

Sometimes they're nuts, sometimes they're chocolate. :D

zapper1998
11-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I WANT ONE, Please

akademus
11-20-2007, 06:02 PM
That would do great as a logo for a 3d software I'm using :)

Kuzey
11-21-2007, 03:54 AM

I waited about 4 days, but I'll comply with any wishes of Newtek, official royalty contracts or I'll even take the site down...anything at all.

Sometimes, you just need to get these things out there so they act on them :bowdown:

Heck, I wouldn't even mind working for Newtek and making these things official. It'll be my little way of helping LW so the Newtek guys can concentrate on making LW a better app that we all want.

Kuzey

Kuzey
11-21-2007, 03:58 AM
<sniff> wouldn't mind one but in the UK here :D You need to add it to http://www.tshirtstudio.com too ;)

Looked at the site but couldn't find anywhere to join...it's a bit confusing :D

I'll up load it once I work it out and hopefully by then Newtek would comment on the issue :thumbsup:

Kuzey

androidmaker
11-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Kuzey I found this http://www.newtek.com/trademarks.html it might help you to get the ok

Kuzey
11-21-2007, 05:26 AM
Many thanks for that androidmaker :thumbsup:

I sent an email with links to this post and the store, we'll see what they say.

Kuzey

Kuzey
11-21-2007, 06:06 AM
I thought I'd preview 3 new t-shirt designs...LW user skill level's :D

Kuzey

Matt
11-21-2007, 07:13 AM
I would wait for NewTek to get back too, it's not only trademarked, but you could be seen to be messing with their brand identity from a marketing perspective.

If they did say yes, I prefer more subtle branding, not a fan of BIG logos on T-shirts.

StereoMike
11-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Nothing wrong with big logos for me. It's the right thing for conventions and max-usergroup meetings :D

mike

4dartist
11-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Kuzey I hope you get the greenlight, because I've been wanting to fly my newtek colors around! I like the characters too, I want a shirt with just the gyru guy hehe.

Also.. I dunno if anyone thought of it, but it could totally be made into a cookie cutter! ;)

PS. I also like the idea of more subtle effects though.

Neuroup
11-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Hello!
Such a T-Shirt is a great idea. Of course also I would like to have such a t-shirt.
Boxer's or candys with LW logo also are great ideas. In Poland there is a factory who is making some gadgets like condoms with logo, lighters, pens, etc.

Bye!!

StereoMike
11-21-2007, 09:39 AM
What's with having a small logo on the chest (left or right) and the full size on the back?

mike

Kuzey
11-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks guys,

This is only an example of what can be done, so I kept the images the same size, but yes there will be variations in size, colour and even style. If it goes ahead.

@ Matt

The only reason I did put it up was someone already had a shop with LW gear at cafepress (I saw it on another thread on these forums) and thought I do it through semi-official process...with examples :D

I deleted all but two shirts...just to keep it alive.

@ StereoMike

The golf shirt had a small image on the front and a large one on the back...but there will be more choice in the end, some with text and some without as well :)

@ 4dartist

I like that guru guy as well, in fact I actually want to go ahead and make a real beanie like that...that would be super cool :D

@ Neuroup

I have a cousin who has a plastic & rubber factory and I can make most of the stuff like beanies, key rings through him :)

All the best,

Kuzey

JeffrySG
11-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Kuzey, on the black tshirt make sure that your edges of the PNG file don't have any anti-aliasing or the edge will have a slight white fringe to it. The file itself should have anti-aliasing but the edge between opaque and transparent should not. Just fyi....

ps. I think it looks great!

Kuzey
11-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks JeffrySG,

I gave that image a thin whitish border on purpose, I figured it wouldn't work without it. You know, the dark border not showing up on a dark background and I wanted to give it more contrast as well.

But your idea is much better :thumbsup:

kuzey

Hopper
11-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Oh man! You guys beat me to the punch! And I worked so hard on my design... :D

:twak:

Andyjaggy
11-26-2007, 06:53 PM
That's fricken awesome.

Phil
11-27-2007, 12:13 AM
A box won't cut it. It has to be the infamous 'Eagle in a barrel'. :)

akademus
11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah, Eagle, put that on a shirt so we can confuse young generations :)

4dartist
11-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Can someone fill me in on 'eagle in a barrel'?
:gotpics:

Neuroup
11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Hello!
T-shirt project with box in modeller for me is "mega" great. I love it. I want sucha T-shirt in xxl size. How can I get it??
I'm living in Poland and I hope that sending a pack with t-shirt for me :-) It will be not big problem.
Great great and one more time great.

Andyjaggy
11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
yep I'm lost.

Hopper
11-27-2007, 05:27 PM
lol - glad you liked it, but don't let me detract from Kuzey's post. I was just jackin' around and did a quickie print screen and crammed it on a t-shirt background in Photoshop. I was just being my usual a.sshat self - at least I can be an expert in something around here. :D
If I can't be useful for LW help, the least I can do is provide maximum sarcasm and dry humor when I can.

Hopper
11-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Can we have a quick explanation of the 'Eagle in a Barrel' thing? sounds interesting.

I'd be more than happy to oblige with such a model, but unfortunately, the previous image posted pretty much sums up the extent of my awesome modeling abilities. :hey:

kopperdrake
11-27-2007, 05:49 PM
rofl - Eagle in a Barrel was a genius plug-in that used to ship with Modeler - one key stroke and you had a model of a...well...guess the plug-in name gives it away :D I hadn't realised it had gone from newer versions of LightWave, but then I haven't been asked to model an eagle *or* a barrel for a few years.

I kind of miss the cow references in the manuals too...we need more moo.

;)

Hopper
11-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Ahhhhh I see... Well .. I think the eagle, barrel, and the cow turned into the teapot. But of course, it's the only natural progression right? I mean really... what kind of modeling software would LW be if you couldn't whip out a teapot at the click of a button?

And THAT, my friend, is why 3DS is crap!!! - no teapot.

Phil
11-27-2007, 11:06 PM
The 'eagle in a barrel' came from a plugin that shipped with (much) earlier versions of LightWave. I think it was included in Modeler 4.0. The plugin filename was idiot.p

The plugin made an eagle sitting inside a barrel. Kind of like those shotglasses that people sell for tourists to buy - with some local element like the Eiffel tower or the White House sitting in the middle.

The legend, as I understand it, was that NewTek was getting bugged by some customer demanding support - they wanted to create an eagle in a barrel (for some reason) and wanted NewTek to provide them with a plug and play answer.

One of the strangest plugins I have ever seen.

kopperdrake
11-28-2007, 04:02 AM
Excellent - I never knew the story behind the plug-in :) I believe we may have had it in our copy of LW3.5. Now *there* was a well-thumbed manual, you could read it in a weekend back then ;)

Iain
11-28-2007, 04:13 AM
I'm developing my own 'pig in a poke' plug in.

I miss the cow too. LW isn't LW without the cow.

Andyjaggy
11-28-2007, 08:09 AM
I do remember the cow, that was when I got into LW.

Neuroup
11-28-2007, 08:15 AM
For me this legendary Cow is this same what for 3d studio users is teapot :)
When i got a LW 3.1 on amiga "the cow" was first object who I modyfi in Layout :)Project with box is much better then cow. This cow was in comercial of video toaster as I remeber.

kopperdrake
11-28-2007, 02:37 PM
And the mention in the smallprint at the start of the manual, something about 'no cows were harmed in the making of this book' or something.

I still scan the small print in LW's manuals but either my eyesight's not so good or the cow's are in the byre.

Exception
11-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Cow.

Now lessee if I can be bothered to upload it.

Nope. No, I can't.

Matt
11-29-2007, 02:34 AM
One of the strangest plugins I have ever seen.

Almost as strange as the 'Lenscap' filter, which just rendered your image black!

And people say NT waste valuable coding effort when making the GUI look better!?!?!?!

Kuzey
11-29-2007, 02:45 AM
lol - glad you liked it, but don't let me detract from Kuzey's post. I was just jackin' around and did a quickie print screen and crammed it on a t-shirt background in Photoshop. I was just being my usual a.sshat self - at least I can be an expert in something around here. :D
If I can't be useful for LW help, the least I can do is provide maximum sarcasm and dry humor when I can.

Thanks HopperZ, for bumpıng the thread wıth my kında humour...too funny :thumbsup:

Stıll no word from Newtek, Chuck or Jay....whats goıng on, are they on holıday or somethıng :hey:

My telephone lıne has been down for a month and there ıs a strıke goıng on...so no fıxıes and no dırect ınternet for me, thıs ınternet cafe stuff ıs a joke :help:

So who was the clıent that wanted thıs 'eagle in a barrel' plugın.

Kuzey

Andyjaggy
11-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I say go for it. Better to ask for forgiveness then permission :D

Hopper
11-29-2007, 06:42 PM
I say go for it. Better to ask for forgiveness then permission :D
/agreed. At worst case, you may find a Cease and Desist letter in your mailbox one day.

But more than likely, any proceeds you make would be a fraction of the cost NewTek would incurr if they had hired a marketing firm to do what you are doing for them for free.

Your design is tasteful and attractive, so it should definately be a no-brainer for them. If otherwise, we need to give them back their helmets, revoke their day passes and put them back on the short bus home.

cagey5
11-30-2007, 02:43 AM
Well my opinion for what it's worth.
I'd have already slapped a cease and desist notice on it. Not through any malice or bad blood just protection of the brand and consistency, fairness to all. Kuzeys is a top drawer design that works well, but what to do when someone else pops up and decided to push boundries further or something that just frankly sucks. Does Newtek then step in and say we'll turn a blind eye to the competent but we do have standards you know... ;)
And then it becomes a matter of subjectivity.
So you take the personality out of the equation and make it business not personal and say, if you want to make use of our copyright material for any commercial use you had better be asking for permission rather than foregivness as a writ often offends.

btw. In case I wasn't clear... That's a killer design Kuzey :thumbsup:

Kuzey
11-30-2007, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the support guys :thumbsup:

I think I'll wait a bit longer, until the end of the year...just so they can't say they didn't know anything about it. I sent a pm to Jay last week to see if there is a job position, or maybe even sell the design to Newtek for use as the official app icon...for version 9.5 and beyond :D

We'll see what happens :bowdown:

Kuzey

snsmoore
12-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey we could always mail them a t-shirt sample. My wife owns a promotional products business and we have a digital garment printer(DTG printer). I can print a sample t-shirt with the design and maybe on the back, a letter asking for permission. :)

Maybe they'll answer if given something tangible.

ps: only catch is our printer prints on light color garments, so we'd only be able to create a white(or light color) sample. Printing lights on blacks requires a lot more investment for reliable equipment.

-shawn

Kuzey
12-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks Shawn, but I think that's not the issue at the moment...otherwise I would have gone there myself :hey:

It seems Jay has been MIA from the forums since the middle of last month, could be on holiday or heavily involved in something cool...like a major character animation update :hey:

Kuzey

Matt
12-13-2007, 05:15 AM
I miss the cow too. LW isn't LW without the cow.

I don't, the cow to me represents LightWave's past, time to move on, get professional and kick some ***!

But that's just me!

Lightwolf
12-13-2007, 05:28 AM
I don't, the cow to me represents LightWave's past, time to move on, get professional and kick some ***!

Yeah, 3D should not be fun at all... especially not for the developers. Actually, it should also be a requirement to wear a suit and tie when starting up LW ;)

I dunno, I enjoy the easter eggs - they show dedication of the dev team because stuff like that gets hacked together in free time anyhow. It doesn't take away ressources.

Cheers,
Mike

Kuzey
12-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Nice Bump Matt :D

Hey that gave me an idea, LW should have it's own character mascot. That way...when they (Newtek, Proton etc.), make tutorials for say how to bone and animate in LW etc. they can use this character(s) and it would give a professional look and yet be fun at the same time.

I think, I'm officially becoming a peanut...or maybe a cashew. In any case, it's some kind of nut.................case :help:

Kuzey