PDA

View Full Version : LiveMatte

ProducerMan
11-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi everyone.

I've been using VT4 for the past year to run our television show, which involves a host in front of a green screen, which was keyed into a background with clouds. It's a very simple setup, but I'm having difficulty getting it to work on the VT5.

For VT4, we would place the host on the Preview input and the cloud background on the Main input, and after selecting the green color, clicked Chroma Key to get it to the Program Out.

I've gone through the procedure in the book a few times, but it's just not making any sense to me. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to the Program Out window?

Thank you for your help.

SBowie
11-15-2007, 04:33 PM
It confused me a bit at first too, probably because there are several ways to do it - or at least several places. Let me describe one:

Put your host on the Preview input and the cloud background on the FX row. Click the LiveMatte tab at the end of the big Switcher panel. Right-click and drag from its color well to the green bg in your Preview monitor. Turn on the LiveMate switch at the top-left (of the LM tab), tweak settings.

You key setup is now tied to the input on Preview - when you do a Take or auto to switch it to Mit will go right along with you. :)

ProducerMan
11-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Wow, awesome. That does work. I appreciate it. I'm not quite sure I understand it, but it works. :)

The way VT4 worked made a little bit more sense to me. I would have three windows in my layout (one preview, one main, and one program out), that way I could see what was going on in each of the two individual windows (pre-keyed), and what was going in the composited picture (that was live). I suppose there's not an easy way to view it like that?

Also, I had RTVs with an alpha channel that I played in a DDR and overlayed them on the show with the DSK, but they seem to be freezing the image in VT5. Any reason why that might be?

And I appreciate your help once again. Sorry to keep piling on the questions. Once I solve these two problems, the show can go on! :)

SBowie
11-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Wow, awesome. That does work. I appreciate it. I'm not quite sure I understand it, but it works.It'll grow on you. This is actually more powerful than previously.

I suppose there's not an easy way to view it like that?
Well, you can set up monitors to show the combined (keyed) result for multiple both Preview and Main selections, plus Program ... you should be able to get something you like.

SBowie
11-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Also, I had RTVs with an alpha channel that I played in a DDR and overlayed them on the show with the DSK, but they seem to be freezing the image in VT5. Any reason why that might be?Sorry - hit wrong button ... here we go again:

An RTV with Alpha playing in the DSK will play (with transparency) over top of the Main selection - and if the the latter has a LiveMatte or LiveSet enabled, it will appear above all of that too ... :)

ProducerMan
11-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah, that's what I used to do with VT4, and I'm using the same RTVs (with alpha channel) that I used to, but for some reason, they go haywire in the newer version. Maybe they just need to be rerendered is all? :confused:

I'm gonna give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks again.