PDA

View Full Version : Yanking your dongle

egearbox
11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Silly newbie-type question: Is it permissible to pull out the USB dongle and plug it into another machine while the power is on, or is this a no-no? I finally broke down and got a laptop and I'd like to use LW on it but I don't want to endanger the dongle's health.

colkai
11-15-2007, 01:48 AM
no worries at all with USB dongles, I'm forever doing this as I switch between machines.

egearbox
11-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks! Anybody else want to weigh in before I give this a try? <grin>

Steamthrower
11-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Oh, just jerk it out and cram it in your new one. Just don't sue me if it bursts into flames or something :D

You do have the Titanium Encased™ Edition, don't you?

iconoclasty
11-15-2007, 10:05 AM
I never hesitate to yank the thing out at a moments whim.
As far as I know there's no write functionality through the usb interface so it should be impossible to corrupt the lock ID or damage the dongle. Unless you're to rough and you physically break it.

Phil
11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
The only issue is wear and tear, both on the dongle and on the USB ports within the machines. I have my dongle plugged into a hub, and short USB cables from each port on the machines which run LW. Only the hub and the cables will get wear and tear, reducing risk somewhat. Also, it's much harder to snap the dongle off :D

egearbox
11-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Yaay! It worked! Wait - are flames SUPPOSED to come out of the USB port??? ;-)

(Thanks to everybody who responded)

Steamthrower
11-15-2007, 08:00 PM
I personally keep my dongle on the end of a long USB adaptor. This prevents breakage and makes it awkward enough to be hard to lose.

colkai
11-16-2007, 01:17 AM
The only issue is wear and tear, both on the dongle and on the USB ports within the machines. I have my dongle plugged into a hub, and short USB cables from each port on the machines which run LW.

Sound advice this, I do exactly the same, that way, you just replace the cable if it gets worn. :)