PDA

View Full Version : Spy Kids 2

lone
02-21-2003, 11:54 AM
checked this out last week - have to say, for a kid flick, i was fairly impressed. the opening at the park, esp. 'THE JUGGLER' was pretty slick. while some of the effects were less than convincing, it shows what can be done outside the studio system, with a limited budget. if nothing else, i think it bodes well for b-movies in general (half of my favorite flicks are b-movies). it was also pretty funny, if over-the-top in places.

on a related note, i'd like to see an ongoing thread where we can just yak about films/games/special effects, entertainment in general, tunes/books that might make good films (SNOWCRASH comes to mind), a little of everything (just not POLITICS, save that for the occasional flame war).

watched RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD last week, too. $10 bucks at Best Buy. laughed my butt off.

Titus
02-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Oh, and wait to see SK3 with Antonio Banderas and Sly Stallone with more effects. The movie was filmed with a HD 3D camera. Just remembering the 80´s.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=14397

lone
02-21-2003, 02:47 PM
hi TITUS. i figured there were some AICNers lurking around here somewhere! if i'm not here, i'm probably there. looking forward to SK3D.

lone
02-22-2003, 12:12 PM
well, i'm at work, and i'm bored. where is everyone today? every board i've been to is deserted.

some movies i liked that nobody else did:

JUDGE DREDD – never read the comic, so i didn’t have any expectations. excellent effects, cool ideas (the gun-in-a-box, ABC robot, block wars), the city itself.

ALIEN RESURRECTION – the look of it, Michael Wincott, Ron Perlman, Brad Dourif. more cool ideas (the liquor cube, metal detector gloves), Sigourney Weaver's performance.

THE AVENGERS – good effects, good cast, the cat suit, Uma in the cat suit.

of course, there were things about each of these i didn't like, but to me, they were not enough to ruin the films.

Nicodemus
02-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Gotta agree with you on the picks of movies that most people did not like that I did like. What about Tremors.....or Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension.

L

lone
02-23-2003, 01:55 PM
GRABOIDS! PLANET 10!

just watch BB again a couple months ago - it's out on DVD for about $10. a couple other good b-flicks i enjoyed are FORTRESS - Christopher Lambert (highlander)/ Jeffrey Combs and NEMESIS - Olivier Gruner / Tom Thomerson. still haven't seen TREMORS 3 yet.

Dodgy
02-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Tremors is class... And it's first sequel wasn't bad either. The second sequel I can't comment on, anyone seen it? Some other excellent B-movies I have on my video shelf:

The Prophecy: class flick with Christopher Walken and everyone's favourite hobbit friend Aragorn in a tale of angels walking the earth and doing some very unangelic things. The antidote to City of Angels.

Deep rising: Stephen Sommers' audition piece for the Mummy, featuring a big ship and a bigger monster. Good fun with Famke Janssen.

The Nick of time: Chris Walken again, this time haunting Johnny Depp and forcing him to kill someone, all in 'real time'.

Breakdown: Kurt Russell's wife is kidnapped in the middle of the desert in this tense thriller.

The Count of Monte Cristo: Guy Pearce (La confidential) is the evil blackguard who gets his comeuppance in this swashbuckler.

The Brotherhood of the Wolf: French period drama horror kung fu flick that is as cool as it is mad...

Nicodemus
02-23-2003, 07:03 PM
Count of Monte Cristo....I just bought that.

Bortherhood of the Wolf was cool as hell. Although I can see why it did not do that well.

Fifth Element for me is a great movie that did not do that well.

Nicodemus
02-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Oh man....how could I forget one of my favorite pieces of B-Movie Schlock.....Flash Gordan.

JMarc
02-24-2003, 12:53 PM
My guilty pleasures:

Deep Rising
The Hidden
Man Bites Dog
PJ's early work: Bad Taste, Braindead (A.K.A. Dead Alive) & Meet the Feebles

...the list goes on!

Dodgy
02-25-2003, 09:16 AM
Oh yes, Flash Ahahhhhhhhh.....Saviour of the universe!

A film with the best production design, and a mix of the worst acting (by Flash and Dale) and the best hamming (everyone else) This is a top flick :)

Mmm, the Hidden... Isn't that the one with Claudia Christian as a stripper? MMMM Claudia Christian......

Elmar Moelzer
02-25-2003, 09:45 AM
Hello
Hehe, I loved the old japanese Godzilla- films, they were wonderfully naive, full of bad acting and even worse visual effects, but for some weird reason I enjoyed them.
CU
Elmar

Nicodemus
02-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Dodgy
Oh yes, Flash Ahahhhhhhhh.....Saviour of the universe!

A film with the best production design, and a mix of the worst acting (by Flash and Dale) and the best hamming (everyone else) This is a top flick :)

Mmm, the Hidden... Isn't that the one with Claudia Christian as a stripper? MMMM Claudia Christian......

Yeah, Flash Gordan was bad but I watch it everytime its on.

Skonk
02-25-2003, 10:59 AM
I got bad taste a while back from a local music shop of all places for £0.50 :) also got meet the feebles on dvd.

lone
02-28-2003, 03:11 PM
yeah, i like DEEP RISING, too. i thought TREMORS 2 was good, just wish KEVIN BACON had come back for it. looking forward to MEET THE FEEBLES hitting DVD in the near future (or so i've heard).
a couple more films i really like that have gotten bad press:
ROBOCOP 2 - the fight between robots at the end, the gun-in-a-box (by the way, those are real Secret Service weapons). PREDATOR 2 (supposed to have hit DVD two weeks ago, but i haven't seen it anywhere) - GARY BUSEY, more cool PREDATOR weapons, the scene in the bathroom.
my vote for the most overrated film of all time (this should get some responses):E. FREAKIN' T. man, don't even let me get started.
THE PROPHECY was great, and the sequel is worth watching just for the opening scene. haven't seen the third one yet (LW is taking up most of my time - haven't even started playing UNREAL 2 yet!

JMarc
02-28-2003, 03:19 PM
I have seen Meet the Feebles on DVD at HMV here in Toronto but it was only a Fullscreen transfer with no extras... oh yeah, and it was about $42! Of course, that's $42 Canadian which converts to about $5 US. ;)

kevin3d
03-01-2003, 06:23 AM
Actually, I kinda liked "Masters of the Universe"

Dodgy
03-02-2003, 04:28 AM
MOTU Cool :)

I thought Evilynn (sp??) was well horny....

But who can forget Transformers the movie.....

Nicodemus
03-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Harlet Davidson and the Marlboro Man......yes I admit it. I liked that movie.

lone
03-08-2003, 01:44 PM
well, i was hangin' at BORDER'S on the lunch break, as i usually do on the weekend (as opposed to the other loitering i do during the week), checking out the DVDs. they have this section called OTHER (read junk) that i normally pass by, but i figured, what the heck, i'm just killing time anyway. they've got a couple decent flicks (THE WRAITH, THE GATE) for 7.99, but not much. about ready to move on when, out of the corner of my eye i see MEET THE FEEBLES. 13.99. i'm pretty sure it's that fullscreen job, but i can live with that. just have to remember not to eat before i watch it.
MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE and HARLEY DAVIDSON/MARLBORO MAN - what can i say.
how about horror films? any fans? just watched THE RING a day or two ago, was not disappointed. a couple of lesser-known ones i enjoyed and recommend, if you can find them:
I, MADMAN - not overly gory, but a decent story. love the title.
BLOOD SALVAGE - a lot better than many an A-list film.