PDA

View Full Version : any opinons on sorensen squeeze vs. tmpg?

video
11-14-2007, 12:50 PM
I understand sorensen squeeze is the best compressor out there, and digital juice is offering it for 1/2 price. Is anyone able to compare it to tmpg for output quality?
sorensen has a lot of versatility and since I haven't bought tmpg, I am tempted to just get sorensen instead because of quality and ease of use.
any input?
also will the new avi wrapper on the new SE work for this and other programs or only tmpg?

thanks
Steve
ps I've been rendering out of vt4.6 and encoding user canopus procoder, with very good results, but would like to make it 1 step.

Bitboy
11-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Well I got TMPGEnc 4 Express after having bought and returned Sorenson. Sorenson did not work properly with Vista and did not work properly with SpeedHQ Codec (no alpha channel detected even though it was saved with Alpha). And I specifically bought that to get alpha support. They could not solve the problem, and said I had to change to Windows XP before they could possibly help me out. Did not work on WinXP 64-bit either. I was very dissapointed with it. And it crashed frequently for me as well.

TMPEGEnc works very nice and outputs very good MPEG-2 (and other formats). Especially now that AVI's from SE is supported within it. :)

Paul Brunson
11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
I ran a bunch of side by side comparisons between sorenson squeeze and tmpgenc. on a large movie with slow and fast scenes.

After doing several frame by frame studies through-out the clip I found sorenson squeeze to do a far better job on scenes with high amounts of motion and on par with tmpgenc on slower motion scenes.

Sorenson compressed objects with heavy motion smoothly, tmpgenc in comparison with the same bitrate was blocky and chunky.

Again this was with the same bitrate and the highest quality settings and tweaks I could make in both applications.

I can't claim my tests were comprehensive, but overall I personally think Sorenson is better.