PDA

View Full Version : SE 1.5 AVI Wrapper - How does it work?

Mister B.
11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I tested the new AVI wrapper and it works fine except of the audio which will be only a few frames then.

Which is the concept behind it?
It's not a frameserver functionality, is it? Even when SpeedEdit isn't launched the AVI wrapper does work in other application - with scaling and filter applied in SE before. If it's a frameserver I would have expected the wrapper only works while SE is running.
And it does not seem to be kind of EDL or kind of other exchange format because this would not let the scaling and filtering be transfered.

I'm amazed. Somebody could bring some light in it?

Marco

rbartlett
11-14-2007, 04:48 PM
AVI codecs are loaded by third party apps when you select a format the system is able to recognize. In the case of the NewTek "wrapper" codec, the way it is written causes SpeedEDIT/SpeedEDIT-VT to run hidden and deliver into your target application. Your free memory will drop much more than if you just open a file that is more typical of a videography codec.

It is frame-serving in the same sense as the less impressive methods you are already familiar with where the application serving has to be more prominent. SpeedEDIT doesn't need to be prominent.

Do be careful with advanced treatments like DVEs or the use of sub-projects. If they work, great. If they don't, consider a render to a real file (one filled with AV content rather than pointers to NewTek application processes).

Good isn't it? You can probably see why there was so much noise when this feature was omitted from earlier releases of SE. When it had proven it's usefulness in the SD constrained VT[4] (and quite a few major releases earlier too). Glad it is back and now HD capable.

Mister B.
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
And Windows Task Manager does not list the SE process running? It's not listed here when using the AVI wrapper and at least page file usage does not seem to encrease (compared to using the original files).

If this is regular frame serving it is well hidden.

Marco

ScorpioProd
11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Do be careful with advanced treatments like DVEs or the use of sub-projects. If they work, great. If they don't, consider a render to a real file (one filled with AV content rather than pointers to NewTek application processes).
Ah, well, I would hope one doesn't have to pick and choose what type of projects to use it with, that was true of the OLD VTP loader/AVI Wrapper from VT[4].

But Newtek spent a lot of time improving it for SE 1.5/VT[5], so I hope no one hits any problems like that.

And frankly, I hope no one limits what they do through it to avoid problems. I've done stuff with filters and subprojects through it without issue.

Nothing should trip it up, and if ANYTHING does, please do let us and Newtek know about it.

I mean, I use frameservers in other NLEs as well, and nothing trips them up, I expect and believe this improved one from Newtek to be just as solid.