PDA

View Full Version : Voting on the new lw gallery.

Dodgy
07-03-2003, 02:45 AM
Okay which basket has gone through all the pics and given them a 0 out of 5? Presumably just to knock their averages down, as a lot of them are worth 4 or 5. Just flicking through the gallery, there are a lot of '0 out of 5 with 1 votes' when the pics are worth much more.... Unless this is a script cock up?

Better check as I'm sure some people are gonna be disappointed to see their scores!
Mike

Dodgy
07-03-2003, 02:47 AM
Also, I think the software which is being used to scale the pics needs replacing, it looks like you're getting unfiltered scaling artifacts, ruining some very nice pictures....

Red_Oddity
07-03-2003, 05:12 AM
Doesn't seem like a script cockup, someone seems to have maliciously destroyed the rating system already...
Really really mature action...
Whomever did that should have his IP banned from this site...

They should have made the voting system work only for members, or have two seperate voting ratings (one for guests and one for members).

Red_Oddity
07-03-2003, 05:13 AM
Maybe Newtek should just reset the voting system, or ditch that first vote when it's a zero...

mattclary
07-03-2003, 06:45 AM
I don't know, that seems like an AWFUL lot of work, just to be an a**hole. I still wonder if it's not a problem with the database.

dzogchen
07-03-2003, 10:30 AM
For whatever reasons, the voting system sucks. What is it for?? To segregate the better pics from the not too fabulous one? If they are not so good, they should not be inside in the first place. I feel lousy about my 4 pics inside.

MGuerra
07-03-2003, 11:21 AM
All stats and votes have been reset. I apologize for those of you who voted legitimately. In the future, if the rating option proves to be more trouble than it's worth, then it will be disabled.

For now, rate away, but do it responsibly. This is the only time the stats will be reset... next time it will be disabled and you will be sent to your rooms without dinner!

Do I make myself clear? Yes sir, you say? Good...

:eek:

dzogchen
07-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Reset or not, I still don't understand what is the voting for? 3 of my pics got 0/5 with 1 vote. I went thru the rest of the pics, quite a no. in the same plight as me. I dun know what the other artist think, to me it is humiliating. I rather have my pic removed.

MGuerra
07-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Check out this link... (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7633)

Lamont
07-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by dzogchen
I dun know what the other artist think, to me it is humiliating. I rather have my pic removed. Are you going to put so much weight in a public rating system where you'd rather have your work removed? Which is really good by the way. It is not a popularity contest, just a quick little "Hot or Not". :)

I should be locked to just members though. And maybe a comments section? Because it should be open to critique if we are going to vote. But then again, do we need to vote on the art there? Everythig there is like a 4 or a 5, so get rid of 0-3! :) I like the easy navigation, we should keep that aspect.

Dzogchen, just keep in mind that whoever put "0" is just retarded.;)

riki
07-03-2003, 06:55 PM
And maybe a comments section?

Ooohh bad idea No 1. A free for all in the gallery section could turn very ugly, very quickly.

Instead of a vote of zero, this would give some demented reject a platform to vent.

The problem with voting is that you always get someone who wants their image to be number 1. So they go through and vote zero for everyone else. I've seen this happen other places, like the DHSOTM 'Dreamhost Site of the Month'.

Lamont
07-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by riki
A free for all in the gallery section could turn very ugly, very quickly. I know this. If people can't handle themselves in a forum, then why comment? I already debated my own statement.;)

I already voted to have ratings removed. It was a good idea, but people will abuse it.

riki
07-03-2003, 07:53 PM
haha sorry I must admit, I enjoy a bit of chaos.

riki
07-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Whoever thought up the voting system should be banned.

Hi CIM are you referring to the gallery voting system or politics in general :)

I wonder how different history would be if 'Al Gore' had've made it in?? Sorry just an idle thought, no hidden sub-text there :)

dzogchen
07-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Lamont
Are you going to put so much weight in a public rating system where you'd rather have your work removed? Which is really good by the way. It is not a popularity contest, just a quick little "Hot or Not". :)

I should be locked to just members though. And maybe a comments section? Because it should be open to critique if we are going to vote. But then again, do we need to vote on the art there? Everythig there is like a 4 or a 5, so get rid of 0-3! :) I like the easy navigation, we should keep that aspect.

Dzogchen, just keep in mind that whoever put "0" is just retarded.;)

It is not a matter of putting so much weight in a public rating. It is more a matter of pride in what you do. I am not a pro, every artwork I create is something special to me whether you think so or not. Making it to the LW gallery has given me a sense of achievement as a hobbist. I don't have to be put down by the voting system to tell me that my work is lesser than the stuff done by others ( especially the pro ) If my work is not up to par with the expectation of the Lightwavers here, then remove them. There are so many online galleries in the web, I will find my niche elsewhere.

riki
07-04-2003, 06:48 AM
dzogchen, If everyone else got '0' then there's obviously something is wrong. You should have more confidence in your work and abilities.

Soft Image have a voting system which seems to work well. They have a dozen or so pix each month. I'm not sure if the results remain hidden or not??

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Galleries/v3/Gal_jul03/Gal_Jul03.asp

dzogchen
07-04-2003, 07:52 AM
Yes I am aware of the Softimage gallery voting. But that voting serve a PURPOSE. These are FRESH images submitted every month and the winners will be profiled. There is a GOAL for it.

A lot of the artwork in the Lightwave gallery have been there for a long while now. If you want to know what pic is HOT and what is not, the frequency of the views is a clear indicator. The present voting system is like school teacher grading a piece of artwork. 1/5, 5/5, 1.5/5 2/5...... and what purpose does it serve?? My work is better than yours but worse than him? Which software company gallery "degrades" its online gallery like that? Artwork with zero stars, one stars, two stars?? To my non CG friends who don't know much about art, they are wondering how come artwork with such a low grading make it into the gallery.:rolleyes:

If Lightwave changes its concept similar to Softimage whereby members vote every month the top images to be entered into the Lightwave gallery, it is a totally different story.

I will not express anymore views on this topic. I am beginning to sound like a disgruntled old *****. I need to grab a beer and chill. Que sera sera.......

riki
07-04-2003, 08:21 AM
Mmmm I agree time for a beer :) haha

No I meant to say yes I agree the Soft Image approach is a much better option. Maybe we could steer towards something like that??

Lamont
07-04-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by dzogchen
I need to grab a beer and chill. Yeah, I'm gonna grab a double exspresso and go to bed...

riki
07-04-2003, 08:47 AM
Hey lamont, I wanted to show you this. Now that's a pix of a very scared man :)

Lamont
07-04-2003, 10:49 AM
Whoa dude!? When was this?! Congrats!!

Yeah, the fear hasn't settled in yet for me. I'm just full of anxiety.

What was this thread about? ;)

riki
07-04-2003, 06:30 PM
haha no no luckily for me I was just visiting some friends on my last trip to Japan. whew!

Anyway the next thing I know I'm holding a kid and everyone's reaching for their mobiles to take the pix. I'm trying to smile, hoping I don't drop the little fella, but secretly packin it :)

Rory_L
07-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Riki, Riki...you think that incident happened by accident? Suuuure! Your girlfriend is softening you up! Are you ready for the patter of little geta?

R

riki
07-07-2003, 08:32 PM
man I'm getting my tubes tied tomorrow DIY :)

Lamont
07-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Hahaha!! Whatever!! What about the ear-piercing sounds of naku-naku kun!! I would take the sounds of geta any day.

I call my nephew Naku-Naku Kun. He cries if he see's anyone other than Obaa, Oka and Oji.