PDA

View Full Version : VT5 Board

timtobrien
11-13-2007, 06:29 PM
I am pretty sure I will buy the Software upgrade from VT4 to VT5 since this appears to be the only way to get to Vista...

I am a hobbiest and do not think I can justify the $1400 for the VT5 Board upgrade. What I have not seen details on is what am I losing if I do not do the board upgrade? Will the Software only be worth the $600 or so?

Thanks for any info and suggestions....

Does anyone know why those are only offering LW8.5 and not any V9.3. I feel like I paid for an upgrade when I opted for LW and now they are taking it away... Sorta sad... Anything that cheers me up about this would be great!

billmi
11-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi Tim,

Unless I am mistaken, $1,400 is the software upgrade price.

The $600 price tag was for pre-purchasing the upgrade (with LW 8.5) last year, well before the product shipped. It definitely pays to buy the upgrades before the software is ready - NewTek also threw in 2 standalone SpeedEdit licenses and an 80 song royalty free music library as added bonus on top of the cost savings - there was just the issue of patience until the software came out.

$600 was also the lower cost of two pre-paid software upgrade uptions. The other one that was $900 included LW9, rather than 8.5.

Upgrading both the software and hardware costs a more. There is a list of what limitations you face with an old board and the new software:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75526

Note though, if you bought your system as a VT[4], you already have the VTPro card. There is no hardware change between VT[4] and VT[5]. The hardware upgrade is only an issue for folks with cards from VT[3] and older.

ScorpioProd
11-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Actually, nope, you're mistaken. :)

Zane Condren of Newtek posted to the VTNT that the $595 software upgrade price for VT[5] is now good until the end of this year.

timtobrien
11-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks! The info was great on the VT card... I just am not sure if I have a VT-Pro or VT-33 Card since I originally bought it as a VT1 and had the core updated once and it was repaired once... Anyone know how I can tell what it is?

Since I do most of my work from DDR's I am hoping the upgrade will be fine as software only... The virtual sets look like lots of fun for me and my 6year old!

This was where I saw the upgrade and decided to upgrade from VT4 to VT5:
http://www.sharbor.com/products/NTKN0320020.html

I only saw a LW8.5 Option and not a LW9 option... I was hoping to get a LW9 option for the same price but like my wife says... I am greedy!

Thanks again all!

Zane Condren
11-15-2007, 03:43 PM
If you started with VT1 you have a VT-33 card.

timtobrien
11-15-2007, 03:56 PM
I am getting more confussed by the minute!

I am still unclear what I will lose by running VT5 Software on a VT-33 board? Is it just not being able to do two live switches on a virtual set?

I have had my VT since before VT2 and have sold $0 worth of stuff... I am the ultimite hobbist... I just dont want to upgrade again if I do not get the benefits of VT5 without the board.

Thanks again for all the help and info! :lwicon:

Zane Condren
11-15-2007, 03:59 PM
The details of why you would want to do a hardware upgrade are attached in a PDF in this thread. http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75526

billmi
11-16-2007, 08:18 AM
I am still unclear what I will lose by running VT5 Software on a VT-33 board? Is it just not being able to do two live switches on a virtual set?

With the original card, you can do live switches with a virtual set.

You can't do live switches from a virtual set that is using both a live feed for the talent and a live feed in one of the monitors on the virtual set.

There are some example shots in the .pdf Zane linked above.

For me that's no problem, as I'm only putting DDR playback in the virtual monitor, not a live source.

ScorpioProd
11-16-2007, 11:01 AM
You can't do live switches from a virtual set that is using both a live feed for the talent and a live feed in one of the monitors on the virtual set.
Yeah, that is what it says... Though it is a bit surprising when you look at what Bob's 3rd Channel can do...

I mean, you can have a side-by-side PIP in Bob's 3rd Channel and dissolve to another input, for instance.

ScorpioProd
11-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Oh, wait, nevermind, I'm confusing what 3rd Channel does with a VT Pro card.

UnCommonGrafx
11-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Yumminess coming to all us old board owners!!