PDA

View Full Version : 2 Gig RAM really worth it for Dual 1.42?

hdindustrial
07-03-2003, 02:14 AM
Hi Everyone!
Just seeking some opinions as to weather or not having 2 Gig of RAM would increase performance over 1 Gig in a Dual 1.42 Powermac. Is it really worth it?

Beamtracer
07-03-2003, 04:07 AM
It might make it more stable. I have 2 gigs of RAM in my Dual 1GHz machine. The other day when doing a particle render, I looked at the Terminal app and it said Lightwave was occupying 1.5 gigs of RAM. There were no image maps in this scene.

So if Lightwave occupies 1.5 gigs of RAM, and the OS takes extra, there's not much headroom.

I wouldn't go with any less than 2 gigs of RAM.

hdindustrial
07-03-2003, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the advice. I should check the Terminal for during my next render. Looks like that new iPod will just have to wait....:mad:

But then again; stability is priceless and RAM is relatively affordable :D

Johnny
07-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
I looked at the Terminal app and it said Lightwave was occupying 1.5 gigs of RAM. There were no image maps in this scene.

How do you do that? Is that a good way to gauge how much RAM a scene requires?

J

eblu
07-03-2003, 10:41 AM
beam, a good deal of that 1.5 gig has to be VM. the memory subsytem of osx doesnt work like the one from os9. VM is good, fast, always on, and always in use.

hdindustrial
07-03-2003, 11:43 AM
OK, so now I'm a little confused. Does VM take the place of real RAM if we donít have enough for a scene? Would having a fast Hard Drive for scratch be just as effective as adding more RAM?

joshmaker
07-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Yes, VM should take the place of actual ram if you don't have enough, so I doubt extra RAM would actually make your computer more stable (at least in Mac OS X). As far as speed goes I don't think you could find a Hard Drive that approaches the speed of actual RAM.

Unfortunately I have no idea what sort of speed increase you would find between 1gig and 2gigs of RAM, so I can not say if it is a worthwhile investment.

Beamtracer
07-03-2003, 06:25 PM
The Terminal Application

Launch the Terminal (located in your utlilities folder). In the screen that comes up, type in 'top'.

It then displays all the pocesses going on in your computer.

The resident RAM, or real physical RAM is listed in the second last column called 'RSIZE'.

The virtual memory (the hard disk substituting RAM) is represented in the column called 'VSIZE'.

Lightwave doesn't always use huge amounts of RAM. But in the particle render I mentioned it was using 1.5gigs of real RAM.

Lightwave scenes without particles or without lots of massive image maps will not use very much RAM.

ingo
07-04-2003, 03:55 AM
In addition to beam's comments when you do print size renderings you obviously need a lot of RAM too, so the simple 1,5 GB are not that much. For my architectural renderings in 3000x2400 for example i often need around 4-5 GB RAM completly, of course depending on polygon count too.
So if you can afford 2 GB, buy them. The less LW has to work on the HD, the better.

hdindustrial
07-04-2003, 04:01 AM
Thanks ingo!
As luck would have it, almost all my renderings are for print at 150-300 DPI actual size.
Guess thereís no new iPod in the near future; or track tires for MINI either:(

ingo
07-04-2003, 01:08 PM
If it helps you, no iPod for me too in the near future :-(

toby
07-04-2003, 07:46 PM
No track tires for the Mini?! oh, man.
I feel your pain

hdindustrial
07-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all your support guys.
Guess Iíll have to fork over $144 for another Gig.