PDA

View Full Version : For Sale:Video Toaster NT

RetroDistortion
07-03-2003, 12:51 AM
Hello,
I have a Video Toaster NT that I'm looking to sell. I bought it thinking that it was a complete turnkey system but I was wrong. After spending $3,000 for the board, I found that I had to spend three times that amount to get it running. I'm an independent filmmaker and I don't have that kind of money so I think I need to find a system I can afford. I'm willing to let the VTNT go, make me an offer.

Rick

SBowie
07-03-2003, 04:25 AM
Just as a thought, you should be aware that you don't need to spend anything like 3X the cost of the Toaster just to get a functional system. Though you can pump as much money as you like into ANY system, drives and cpu's these days are fast enough that you should be able to kit out a nicely functional little system for MUCH less than that.

At the bottom of the entry level range, you should be able to kit out a decent completely functional single P4 system with several hours of EIDE storage, dual monitors AND the upgrade to VT[3] for around US$2500 (since you already own the VTNT). Even this level of VT system will seriously outperform anything else in the price class.

RetroDistortion
07-03-2003, 07:51 AM
Steve,
Thanks for your reply but I'm going to be honest here and tell you that I bought the VTNT for $3,000, then I had a computer built for $2,000 and this should've gotten me started but I couldn't get it to work. then I found that the motherboard doesn't support a modem so I can't download or update anything. On top of that, I was informed that I'll still need a SCSSI card and at least 2 hours worth of storage that will cost about $3,000 more. If you tack on an upgrade to a VT3, that's another $600. I'm getting ready to begin shooting on a new movie and I can't afford to drop any more into the system.
I'm sure it is a great product but I have no way of knowing. Now that is it years later, a ton of companies sell complete turnkey systems for the same price I paid for the board. In other words, ever since I bought it, I think I may have made a mistake and at some point, I have to throw in the towel but now I have an editing system that is obsolite. Even if I did sell it, I know I wouldn't be able to get half of what I've already spent. So here is the hard choice, sell it and put it into something that works or let it collect dust for a few more years while I try to get money to get it working right.

Rick

Jim Capillo
07-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by RetroDistortion
{snipped}or let it collect dust for a few more years while I try to get money to get it working right.

Rick

Rick, that's the best part of VT - it's software driven, so it will never be obsolete. Steve is right, you could pick up a Dell on the cheap that'd make it run.

I'd hang on to it; you don't know what you're missing !

SBowie
07-04-2003, 12:33 PM

Thanks for your reply but I'm going to be honest here and tell you that I bought the VTNT for $3,000, then I had a computer built for $2,000 and this should've gotten me started but I couldn't get it to work.Rick It's your decision and you have to be practical, Rick. But if you'll permit, I'll be frank, too: the computer you had custom built for $2k clearly wasn't well thought out for T[2] use. It's entirely possible to do this. I know of people still running 'latest' (read into that what you will) version software on older dual P3 systems, let along one of the current generation of quick and economical single cpu P4's.

On top of that, I was informed that I'll still need a SCSSI card and at least 2 hours worth of storage that will cost about $3,000 more.
Rick SCSI is nice, and so is a dual-Xeon ... but neither is essential. I included the cost of better than 3 hours of uncompressed video storage in the $2500 price I mentioned above. And of course, if you were shooting and editing in DV, you could multiply that storage capacity by 5.

videoguy
07-05-2003, 11:55 AM
i have a 480 gig raid setup for around 800bucks get 4 120gb western digital ide hard drives with 8mb cache and get on ebay and buy an escalade 6410 raid card for 50 and u are set to go the drives can be had for around 130 bucks online at places like googlegear.com and newegg.com if not i would give u a grand for ure toaster card