PDA

View Full Version : So - what's the general impression of VT5

jsanfilippo
11-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I didn't buy the upgrade yet. I'd prefer to wait and let them work out a few updates and patches before I move up.

But I'm curious as to people's impression now that it's available. Specifically, on the live switching side (I don't edit with my VT, so I'm personally less interested in that side of the equation).

Hits? Misses?

PIZAZZ
11-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Written from a user standpoint not a dealer's..........

Stable, Stable, Stable. The new driver for the card absolutely rocks. Improvements to the CG are great. The keyer is outstanding. The Live Set technology is slick and useful in many more situations than just virtual sets. Thanks for the utilities JohnP! The disk bandwidth needed for the system in live situations is practically nothing.

That brings me to the my bone to pick... In my personal situation, I am using much less powerful systems and doing the same work as I was doing with large dual processor multiple SCSI drive workstations. I have one system I recently built to take out on the road... It has 2 drives inside... 1 OS and 1 Storage. I can play 2 streams and record to disk at the same time with no effort. I would of HAD TO have SCSI in VT3 or VT4 to do this reliably. So my bone to pick is that the good ole days of selling 5-6k VT host computers is long gone. The box I just built for a client cost $2400 and it does everything a dual xeon workstation did last year that sold for $4500.

I have done 3 very high profile events with our new little VT5 box and it has not let me down at any time. Heavy iron is a thing of the past.

kleima
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
It is very awesome! Lots of improvements. Little things that make life easier, like the clock on the VT interface. The interface has much improved readability also. I have been editing HD in SE for some time, so it is great to have the capability integrated into VT now. The Virtual sets are great, but I haven't done anything but play with them yet, so I can't say too much about them. It appears that there is a bit of a learning curve to maximize their full potential, because it is quite different than anything we've had before.
It is good to have MPEG2 rendering in VT too!
It runs on my aging dual XEON 2.8GHz, which was cutting edge in its day. I cannot play HD much on this system without stutters. I have to keep the video monitor small. (I am upgrading my computer as we speak!)
It is very stable. No problems with live switch.
I don't know what you are waiting for! :hey:

SBowie
11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
The Virtual sets are great, but I haven't done anything but play with them yet, so I can't say too much about them.LiveSets are great, and the lid is really going to come off when the Aura plugins are released. They rock!

John did a really nice job. Some who never looked into Aura are going to discover a lot of new and useful things, and those who know it well are going to be reaping new rewards. :)

Scott Bates
11-13-2007, 05:36 PM
It runs on my aging dual XEON 2.8GHz, which was cutting edge in its day.Good to hear! Hopefully it will do the same on my dual 2.4s because I really don't want to have to have a new system built this close to the holidays, even given PIZAZZ's comment about the apparent new efficiencies of VT[5] and reduced hardware costs.

PIZAZZ
11-13-2007, 06:26 PM
I almost forgot one of the best features of VT5 that TOTALLY ROCKS!

How many times have you guys forgot to put the DDR in Play/Pause mode after you select a different clip? Yep you have Cue In turned on but you transition to the DDR and it just sits there going, What What What do you want?

Never again in VT5!!!

As long as CueIn is turned on and you select that DDR on the Main buss, the DDR starts playing.... Woo Hoo!!!

That is just one more of the small improvements that VT5 brings to the table.

kleima
11-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Should work for SD.

jsanfilippo
11-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Jef,

That's a cool DDR improvement. Any chance they "fixed" one other thing about DDRs that have killed me? If a clip is playing, and you do ANYTHING else in that DDR... BOOM - clip stops playing! Arg! I have always wished that a clip would continue UNLESS you stop it intentionally - even if you click on "cue out" or something else in the ddr, or even the mistaken single click on another item in that DDR.

mattr
11-23-2007, 02:16 PM
that would be a good saver from another OOPS! situation. one thing though about the auto play feature jef mentioned is there seems to be no way to turn it off. so if you don't want the clip to play (say on a ddr that's intentionally set not to loop with a 5 sec. jpg loaded) you have to make sure "Cue In" is off instead of just unpausing it.
one more thing though is that when it does this, it does NOT loop the clip, even if it is set to loop.

PIZAZZ
11-23-2007, 03:37 PM
that would be a good saver from another OOPS! situation. one thing though about the auto play feature jef mentioned is there seems to be no way to turn it off. so if you don't want the clip to play (say on a ddr that's intentionally set not to loop with a 5 sec. jpg loaded) you have to make sure "Cue In" is off instead of just unpausing it.
one more thing though is that when it does this, it does NOT loop the clip, even if it is set to loop.

Yes the "Cue In" is the toggle for whether or not you want this feature to work. I have not noticed the loop situation. I will have to look into that.

Jamie- Unfortunately the clik issue you describe still exists. Sometimes it is nice to be able to immediately double click on the correct clip and have it play but most of the time I would rather be able to click on something in the DDR and not take it out of play if possible. It usually only takes the users we train a few oops before that is permanent in their memory of do and don'ts with VT.

lvsoule
11-23-2007, 06:07 PM
So far it looks good. What I really like is the fact that until I get the whole VT5 upgrade figured out, it will still allow me to fully operate VT4.6. I have both icons going and as I learn more about the VT5, I'm sure I'll take the plunge for good. It's tough for me to change! you'll laugh but I still run OS9.2 for some apps.

One thing that I noticed is VT5 tends to load file a touch slower and after installation when I go into the audio manager, I can't switch to the toaster anymore. So now my Windows Media Player doesn't have sound, unless I physically plug it into the sound card.

hhsbroadcasting
11-23-2007, 11:26 PM
VT5 upgrade Installation was a breeze.

I think NewTek could have done a much better job with the manual, especially in regards to the new features such as the effects bus, LiveMatte and LiveSet. Having all of this production power without instructions of how to use it negates the value of the power.

The glossary was not given sufficient update. The lack of an appendix is also regretful. All in all I found the manual more of a quick start guide.. a big quick start guide -- except for chapter 8 which covers SpeedEdit. I understand that I can set up multiple upstream keys..but I've not found sufficient coverage of this in the documentation ... yet.

RSP

ScorpioProd
11-24-2007, 02:20 AM
So far it looks good. What I really like is the fact that until I get the whole VT5 upgrade figured out, it will still allow me to fully operate VT4.6. I have both icons going and as I learn more about the VT5, I'm sure I'll take the plunge for good.
I'm actually kinda surprised that is working well for you that way.

It's my understanding that Newtek rather strongly recommends uninstalling VT[4] before installing VT[5].

At least this was something that John Perkins of Newtek had mentioned on the VTNT mailing list this week.

What have the dealers heard about this?

lvsoule
11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't run them both at the same time, but I've had a glitchless experience so far. I'll keep them both around as long as it works. I keep findig myself going into 4.6 to do everything- change is hard for me!

videocomm
11-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Well, let's see. We installed Toaster 5, but due to downgraded slow-motion and a slew of other problems (along with instabilities) we are now back to working with Toaster 4 primarily. We've kept 5 on the system so we can go back from time to time and see if there is a motivating benefit in using it.

ted
11-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Videocomm, Your first problem is installing "Toaster" 5.
"VT" 5 is MUCH better. :D Just kidding with ya.

How is slo-motion "downgaded?
While we just recently installed the official VT5 and haven't slammed it with hard projects, but we're not finding it less stable. Of course we installed it on a completely clean Vista Ultimate 64 OS install, so that might have helped.
But how is it less stable for you?

Maybe it's due to VT4 AND 5 both being installed? Maybe not, but I know there are some things that they handle differently so maybe that's your problem???

mattr
11-28-2007, 03:04 PM
i have vt 4&5 both installed. had to revert back to 4 because of aspect ratio issues and a couple of other weird happenings. 4 seems to run fine after an autoconfig, but any time i cue up an mpeg 1 file i get an error message. after clicking ok, it plays the file just fine.

DiscreetFX
11-28-2007, 03:32 PM
From a developer/filmmakers standpoint, it's simply fantastic!

:thumbsup: