PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Lighting

EternalAnimator
07-02-2003, 08:29 PM
If anyone has played Splinter Cell, how do you do those lighting effects just like the game? I understand it used volumetric light, but I cannot recreate the projection map...

And also, does anyone know how to create camera filters, like Infrared....

your help will be very valuable...

Red_Oddity
07-03-2003, 04:13 AM
Actually, SplinterCell doesn't really use volumetrics, what they have done is cleverly use layers of polygons whose ends collide with objects and characters, thus giving the illusion of volumetric lighting.

Volumetrics in LW work different however and need to be raytraced.
Just turn on Volumetric Lighting in the Light Property Panel and start tweaking the Options.
Make sure you turn Raytracing on

As for the infrared, don't do that in LW, you really want to do that it post, and when doing it in post (post-production), make sure you use a fileformat that supports more than just 8bps (bits per pixel) like RLE, SGI ,HDR, Tiff LogLuv, ILMB IFF.

Hope this helped.

EternalAnimator
07-03-2003, 05:25 AM
It actually helped since I am an entry level game designer, a college student, learning how to. Should I just use projection images or light displacement maps to show those beams...

ANd another problem I have is animating water realistically... I tried key framing it in graph editor but it looks unrealistic...if you can give suggestions, it would really help also...

Red_Oddity
07-03-2003, 09:02 AM
Try the tutorials on Newteks site or these:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm