PDA

View Full Version : how can you control a string of bones?

fabmedia
07-02-2003, 06:08 PM
I'm trying to control a series of bones by a root controller, a null or another bone. It doesn't matter. I have a character is using the ACS 4 rig and the spine is controlled via a root controller. Now I know it's expressions, but how do you set this up? I've not been able to figure out how to do this. Let alone wonder if I should control the antenea via IK. I like the root controller idea. So any and all help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!
Arlen

Dodgy
07-03-2003, 03:15 AM
You have quite a few options:

1/Use expressions.
Type something like:

( Camera.wrot(Time).b )

in the expression field of the graph editor, and apply it to the channel you want to affect.

This example gets the World Bank value of the camera, at the current time.

2/Use Follower.
Apply Follower in the Motion panel of one of your chain objects, selecting all the channels you wish to have your object follow. Copy and paste it onto all the other objects in the chain.

3/Use an IK goal.
Select all your objects, go into the spreadsheet and select an IK goal for them, setting goal strength to 0, and 'Match Goal Orientation' to on. Use your goal object to control the chain.

Hope this helps. If it's just orientation you want to control, 3 is probably the quickest to set up but least adaptable.

fabmedia
07-03-2003, 09:41 AM
I've been trying to get follower to work with 2 control points, but I've been unsuccessful. The second set of bones won't follow the first and just lie straight. Even when the 2nd control point is moved.

Go figure. I've seen someone use follower quite successfully and has a really fluid animation with 4 control points.

This is what I'm wanting to use follower for, the anentea...

Arlen

Dodgy
07-04-2003, 02:45 AM
For those, try looking for SpringyThingy on www.flay.com. It's a plugin I wrote to do simple soft body stuff like antennae etc.

fabmedia
07-04-2003, 10:36 AM
I've downloaded the script, but it's not working. First I'm getting an error

L:\mylscripts\mgspring.lsc
Cannot open input file

If I try to run the Lscript then I get a:
Wasn't compiled for this Architecture

Not sure what this stuff means but let me know. I'm interested to see how it goes.

A

fabmedia
07-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Oh, and I'm using LW 7.5 on mac.

A

fabmedia
07-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Bloody hell. The script didn't kick in right away. I had to re-add the script to the goal null. This looks quite awsome. I'll get it in there right away.

Thanks!!!
Arlen

Dodgy
07-06-2003, 06:17 AM
Yeah there's a problem with relative paths under Lscript I'm given to understand, fixed with LS2.6.1, but I have yet to implement it.
Re applying the ST lscript works. It is very cool when it does work :) Thanks very much :)

fabmedia
07-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Yes it works really well. I quite like it. It'll work very well for both the tip and the middle of the antenea. I know that I'm going to control the anentea with Channel follower so I can let your script deal with the rest.

Cheers mate!
Arlen