PDA

View Full Version : Image format preference

KSTAR
11-11-2007, 03:26 PM
For doing slideshows what image format does VTEdit 4.6 prefer?

I have lots of pics which are .JPG's Im wondering if I should keep them as is? Or convert them to .TGA's or .PNG's

My concern is system performance when slogging around lots of pics on the timeline.

Pete Draves
11-11-2007, 04:44 PM
The largest slide show I have done was 1780 pics.
Yes, the more you have the more it slows down.

Most of this is system memory, buss speed and CPU power.

The time for me was the same with tgs, jpg, and png.

The show took about 40 min to sort out.
same in old speed razor, adobe premiere, etc etc etc.
I now always use the format they come in with, exclusively!
Pete

KSTAR
11-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah for me its about 400 pics so not as bad as what you had to deal with. They came in as .jpgs so Im just keeping them .jpgs. I was going to convert to .png's in Mirage, but they are out of sequence, and Im not getting paid enough to go that route :rolleyes:

So far so good the system isn't being beaten up that bad.

The clips were not in numeric order on the script so the ability to select images or clips out of sequence while holding down the CTRL key has been an absolute life saver :vticon: :thumbsup:

With out this feature I would have had to hurt somebody :)

wvp
11-11-2007, 05:20 PM
you might want to break the project in segments, edit & render each & combine the renders to ease the performace issue.

ted
11-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Kevin, I seem to remember Andrew, (or some Alien) telling me .png's were easiest on VT 2-3-4.xxx.
I know earlier VT's liked .png's enough that we still have our GFX guy auto convert all GFX to .png's before dropping them to the main Edit Bay.
I don't think it's as important to SE or VT5.

I would love to hear an Alien tell us for sure.

Keith Gandy
11-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Same here with the performance issue. When doing slide shows panning across an image adds movement, dve's are a matter of taste, but ultimately everything slows the system down. Our only answer is to break up longer projects into manageable 2-3 minute rtvs or nt25 clips.