PDA

View Full Version : Trick to make Preview not explode Layout?

Johnny
11-10-2007, 09:36 PM
I apologize if this has been covered..couldn't find any discussion here.

I'm using 8.5 and can't get preview to work, and can't get my use of it to not make LW just quit.

I seem to recall that in 7.5 the trick was to have the to and from keys palette over the pane that was the Camera view, and that that pane had to be in a certain position, but beyond that, the secret eludes me and it's just not working properly.

I could *really* use a pencil test function right now....

thanks for any tips!

J

Scazzino
11-11-2007, 09:07 PM
At one point there was a LW Mac bug that would crash Layout when the preview finished being created I think. The workaround for that one was to set your preview end frame well past where you really needed it. Then stop the preview before it reaches the end, and copy the CurrentPreview.mov file from the programs folder to another folder and rename it to whatever you want. Then you can open it and view it in QuickTime player. It was a bit of a hassle, but it worked...

Johnny
11-11-2007, 09:24 PM
that sounds pretty clever..I'll try that!

thanks!

BTW..should I be concerned that my Preview menu doesn't have "Options" as mentioned in the manual for 8.5?

not sure if option is the name of the menu item, but something to tghat effect

J

Scazzino
11-11-2007, 09:42 PM
that sounds pretty clever..I'll try that!

thanks!

BTW..should I be concerned that my Preview menu doesn't have "Options" as mentioned in the manual for 8.5?

not sure if option is the name of the menu item, but something to tghat effect

J

The preview options have never been available on the Mac... though it would be nice if they were made available...

j__
11-13-2007, 12:20 PM
"I seem to recall that in 7.5 the trick was to have the to and from keys palette over the pane that was the Camera view, and that that pane had to be in a certain position, but beyond that, the secret eludes me and it's just not working properly."

"The workaround for that one was to set your preview end frame well past where you really needed it. Then stop the preview before it reaches the end, and copy the CurrentPreview.mov file from the programs folder to another folder and rename it to whatever you want. Then you can open it and view it in QuickTime player. It was a bit of a hassle"

"The preview options have never been available on the Mac... though it would be nice if they were made available..."

Good lord.

And now there is new bug in preview, there is about a 50% chance of a crash when you end preview and go back to Layout in 9.3

Chilton
11-13-2007, 12:43 PM
It's actually the same bug, and is a timing issue between the OpenGL contexts and QuickTime. The Mac version is more efficient now, so the bug crops up more easily. This will be fixed shortly.

-Chilton

Scazzino
11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
And now there is new bug in preview, there is about a 50% chance of a crash when you end preview and go back to Layout in 9.3

Here's a workaround until that's fixed: If you wait and verify that all the OpenGL viewports finish updating, before you open/make the preview, then it shouldn't crash when you close the preview.

:hey:

j__
11-14-2007, 10:31 AM
"The Mac version is more efficient now, so the bug crops up more easily."

"If you wait and verify that all the OpenGL viewports finish updating, before you open/make the preview, then it shouldn't crash when you close the preview."

marvelous, isn't Lightwave cool everyone ? :)

Scazzino
11-14-2007, 11:21 AM
"The Mac version is more efficient now, so the bug crops up more easily."

"If you wait and verify that all the OpenGL viewports finish updating, before you open/make the preview, then it shouldn't crash when you close the preview."

marvelous, isn't Lightwave cool everyone ? :)

The issue is known, being worked on, and the above workaround will avoid the issue until it can be fixed... so yeah, that is cool. ;)

j__
11-14-2007, 02:37 PM
I guess it hasn't been a major issue this end, and almost all bugs I usually negotiate myself but you notice these things.

I'm not actually aware of that as a conclusive fix, and I tend to think it may not be. I'm trying to think of a time when ever I've been waiting for an Open GL viewport to finish updating in Layout, and I can certainly get preview to crash regardless from time to time. But it's by the by I guess relative to the overall picture just mundanely being reiterated here with no hidden axe to grind because they are just the plain old mundane facts of the matter that people are describing themselves. It's not a case of what I am prepared to work around myself.

I'm sure most sensible people don't think it is particularly cool at all that issues have been with, and just on this alone; preview since 7.5, and probably before, and that people have had to seek various workarounds and tips to do something quite basic, it's seems more of a silly sadness symptomatic of some kind of other long-standing problems perhaps institutional.

But I'm sure some are grateful to try out the tip