PDA

View Full Version : crashes when quitting

Archigram
11-10-2007, 09:20 AM
My MacBook Pro is crashing almost every other time I quit Layout (not Modeler). The screen freezes and I have to do a cold shutdown, which is annoying and maybe dangerous. Is anyone else having this problem?

I am running the 32bit Mac version of LW 9 (because I was having more crash problems with the USB version).

Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Running OS 10.4.10

thanks for any advice

Chilton
11-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi,

No application should be able to do this. It does happen, but that generally means it's a hardware issue. Were the crashing problems in the UB version on quit?

-Chilton

Sensei
11-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Try moving config files to somewhere else and try whether it's still crashing on exit..

Archigram
11-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks for your suggestions, I am testing the UB version again and moving the configs and will report back to this thread with my results.

j__
11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
"My MacBook Pro is crashing almost every other time I quit Layout (not Modeler)"

It goes without saying that it is completely normal for Lightwave Layout itself to crash on quit as you probably know. That's just normal behavior and it may as well be hardcoded in, it probably is and they told Chilton "stay away from that bit of code, these are our ways".

I guess what is not so normal though is actually bringing down your whole machine when it does that (which sounds like what you are describing), that is unusual, although sadly probably not an impossible scenario either. However if no other application at all does that if it crashes or hangs then it does make you wonder what LW is doing.

I would make sure you are backed up Archigram to some physically different drive/media while you experimenting and getting to the bottom of it.