PDA

View Full Version : XDCAM EX1 ingest suggestion

vncnt
11-10-2007, 03:33 AM
I'll be testing the Sony PMW-EX1 soon so I searched for a working ingest procedure.

The Sony software that converts the native MP4/mpeg2-PCM format to MXF mentions the use of FFMPEG. This is freeware. The Sony software does not install a DirecShow codec.

So I searched for FFMPEG related freeware and found this:
FFMPEG (build 10464)
FFDSHOW (rev 1579_20071026)
MediaCoder (v0.6.0 build 3932)

After some experiments I was able to mux one MPEG2 videostream with a PCM audiostream into a MP4 container.
The MPEG2 videostream was stripped from a native Sony V1 MPEG2_TS stream: 1440x1088(?) pixels with HDV limited bitrate. Of course the result is not a real EX1 videostream (1920x1080 and 35Mbps VBR) but now you have a MP4 file to experiment with in different software.

If FFMPEG (or FFDSHOW or MediaCoder) works fine for Sony (just previews) it might work for us as well, at least in the first months.

regards,
Vincent

PS Converting from MP4 to MXF with the Sony software will only output the video- and audiostreams in MXF format, nothing else. No meta-data (what should be the source?).
It's best to skip this step completely and go straight to the NewTek HQ 4:2:0 codec or the Newtek HQ 4:4:4 codec if you want to use AVISynth and DFX+ to interpolate the chroma signal in advance.

ScorpioProd
11-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Ironic considering Newtek's encoder is based on FFMPEG...

vncnt
11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Converting to elementary streams works best for SpeedEdit.

If you want to try this yourself, put this in a .bat file and execute in the directory of FFMPEG.

REM
REM
REM THESE ELEMENTARY STREAMS PERFORM NICELY IN SPEEDEDIT
REM
@echo Convert MPEG2+PCM in MP4 container to ELEMENTARY MPEG2 STREAM OR WAV STREAM
ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy -f mpeg2video output_copy.mpg
ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -acodec copy -f wav output_copy.wav
REM
REM
REM THIS YUV 4:2:0 OUTPUT DOES NOT WORK FOR SPEEDEDIT, TRANSCODE TO ANY (NEWTEK) CODEC FIRST
REM
@echo Convert MPEG2+PCM in MP4 container to UNCOMPRESSED AVI without colorspace conversion
ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -vcodec rawvideo -acodec pcm_s16le -f avi output_raw+pcm.avi
ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p -acodec pcm_s16le -f avi output_yuv420+pcm.avi
REM
REM
REM THIS OUTPUT FILE WORKS FOR SPEEDEDIT BUT HAS VERY SLOW PLAYBACK
REM
@echo Convert MPEG2+PCM in MP4 container to MPEG2_TS
ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy -f mpegts output_copy.m2t
REM
REM
REM THIS DIRECT TRANSFER FROM MP4 CONTAINER TO AVI CONTAINER WILL CRASH SPEEDEDIT DURING CONFORMING PHASE
REM ALSO VIRTUALDUB AND VLC PLAYER SHOW ERRORS THAT DISAPPEAR AFTER RENAMING TO *.MP4 (SE STILL CRASHING)
REM
@echo Convert MPEG2+PCM in MP4 container to AVI container
ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy output_mp4-copy.avi
pause

regards,
Vincent

vncnt
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Don't forget I tested this with streams ripped from a native M2T file, recorded with a Sony V1 with a 1440x1080 HDV frame format.
According to the frame-rate it was a US model.

I still don't know exactly how FFMPEG will treat a native MP4 file with 1920x1080 35Mbps from a Sony PMW-EX1.

Swen
11-12-2007, 05:32 PM
I found this link on another forum for some sample clips from the EX1. I am not sure, but I believe they are strait out of the camera. I downloaded them and they all play just fine as is in SpeedEDIT.

http://www.vecomvideo.com/pages/test_ex1.htm

Swen

ScorpioProd
11-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Interesting, yup, I can confirm it as well, they appeared to play fine in SpeedEDIT 1.5... Assuming one of them was supposed to be a time-lapse, which I believe it was. Although there was NO audio, even when I enabled AAC/AC-3 decoding.

vncnt
11-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Did you notice that SE 1.5 survives the "raster pattern test"?
What's going in will indeed come out without some weird resize distortion.
This is a great improvement.

SE 1.5 is able to produce uncompressed RGB24 files but the audio seems to be silent. Maybe the microphone was disconnected on this demo model.

The PWM-EX1 does not record sound with non-standard frame rates.
With standard frame rates it should record in PCM stereo.
It's certainly not ac3.

Hm, SynthEyes crashes on the uncompressed rgb24 file. The NewtekHQ422 codec works better...

Where are the NewtekHQ420 and NewtekHQ444 codecs?

pox
12-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Just got my EX1 in and it seems to play back okay in speed edit, there is a little bit of tearing on the 1080p 24fps on my laptop. still need to try it out on my real workstation with a better CPU and Graphics Card.

vncnt
12-09-2007, 04:37 AM
Would you be able to post a 4 seconds 720p50 walking trough the hall (OIS=off, shutter=180deg, no gain, no AF)? I think we all would like to know if this camera can be used for match moving (because of rolling shutter effects).

Just downloaded the EX1 video clip "Inside media tech room"
from this website http://ex.bolanski.com/
Video and audio are perfect in SpeedEdit.
Decoding of the mpeg2 stream is much slower than playing back in the latest VLC media player.

Previewing the native mp4 file is quicker than previewing the (split version) mpg file. M2v didn't even preview.

HINT: the internal filter "chroma smoother" in VirtualDub does a great job upsampling from UYVY 4:2:0 to RGB24 4:4:4 color space. Files are of course bigger.

pox
12-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I'll try post something and soon as I figure out to make sure the settings on this camera are for OIS are off and setting the shutter by deg to 180

As for Virtual Dub, I can't get it to load the .mp4 files, if I convert it what format is best other than uncompressed for 4:4:4?

pox
12-13-2007, 04:58 PM
I hope this will work for you.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/pox/087_0068_01.MP4

vncnt
12-16-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm downloading your file right now.
I'll come back to you after processing.

VirtualDub can not import the mp4 file.
You need to convert the file first with SpeedEdit OR ffmpeg to AVI - uncompressed - UYUV pixelformat.

After interpolation to 4:4:4 with VirtualDub or processing with other programs you better choose some pixelformat that is able to retain the extra color information. I use a regular 24bit uncompressed RGB file for that.

If you're just shooting for video this extra step could be done after regular editing but just before color timing.
If your'e shooting for 3D or other special FX then smooth before other processing.

vncnt
12-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Ok, here is what I did.

In SynthEyes I selected frames 200-300 for tracking and created some manual trackers. The camera motion in this (indoor) scene creates lot's of frames with too much motion blur (even in 50fps) so this was difficult now and then. Then I ran the auto tracker to make sure all other trackable features (with short lives) were used in the solve process. The first result was too many trackers that went everywhere in 3D space. Then I deleted almost every automatic generated tracker on the floor and on the wall since there is almost no (reliable) detail on them. The final result was a 3D scene that contained some glitches in the motion path of the virtual camera.

The general problem with the footage is that there are not a lot of details on the wall and on the floor. It seems that Sony is sampling the CMOS sensor 4 to 5 times during the exposure of 1 frame in order to reduce the effect of rolling shutter. So the image blurs faster than expected.

The second time I selected frame 410-445 and created some manual trackers for guidance. This part is a bit dark and blurry but contains more 3D information. After removing some bad auto trackers the result wasn't 100% but almost acceptible.

To improve results I would suggest to:
- avoid too much motion blur, even 50fps isn't perfect for relatively fast camera motion
- make sure there is something to track, the details on a smooth wall and smooth carpet are too fragile for the tracking process
- use bright lights in the scene for deep contrasts, just like in outside shots

br.rgrds, Vincent

vncnt
12-18-2007, 01:38 AM
I was also thinking about decreasing the shutter speed to 90 or even 45 degrees.

The rolling shutter might be more visible but the scene becomes more trackable.