PDA

View Full Version : smooting errors

kosmodave
11-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Hi everyone
I am trying to model a lighthouse. I have started with a tube with approx 48 segments and have run into a problem. To model windows and doors etc, I have tried Boolean subtract to cut the shapes into the wall (I did merge points) and I have tried stencil and multishift to get the shapes into the wall but when I do this I seem to get bad smoothing errors on the tube surface, even when I adjust the smoothing angle in the surface editor. Please can someone suggest a proper way to go about modelling this.

Many thanks
Dave.

gpdesigner
11-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Dave . . post an image so we can see . .
you just may need to reposition your door
gp

kosmodave
11-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the responce GP, here are two pics, one showing the visible error and the other showing the wire frame as well. I hope these attach Ok as this is my first attempt at posting pics.

regards
Dave

gpdesigner
11-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Hmmmm,
Usually this is a random point issue or too many points on a curved poly.
If you can reboolean the door do it but this time align the opening center the opening a little more. recut the opening, clean up the points and see what happens.
gp

kosmodave
11-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks again GP,

Yes, by repositioning the door slightly and adjusting points I can reduce the smoothing errors, and by cutting the tower horizontally along the top of the door seems to prevent the errors from appearing higher up the tower.
Thinking ahead here, I will soon need to model a castle tower that will need arrow slots and other defensive cutouts created which will be applied in a position that matches the real thing, so I may not have the luxury of being able to move the position of the cutouts. Any Idea how to tackle that?

Time for bed now so will experiment more in the morning.

Dave.

Surrealist.
11-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Something like this might be a great candidate for using subpatches if you can. My tutorial shows many great ways to make simple and clean inorganic shapes with subpatches.

http://www.lightwiki.com/images/a/a6/SquareInTube4.gif

http://www.lightwiki.com/images/d/da/TriagleInTube9.gif

kosmodave
11-11-2007, 02:05 AM
Thanks Surrealist,
I looked at your tutorials and they are an excellent resource. I will have a go with subpatching with an arrow loop on a castle tower as the shape for that will be quite complex, and if I am successful with that then the lighthouse doors and windows will be easier.

Who said modeling was easy?

Dave

Surrealist.
11-11-2007, 03:07 AM
Yeah no kidding. Good luck with it and let us know if you have any questions as you go along.