PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave running on Virtual Box in Linux

ana027
11-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Hi all, yesterday I think to make one test with linux and virtual box. I think to install windows xp sp2 on virtual box in my ubuntu 7.04 and after I install lightwave in this windows. Lightwave works fine in this windows, and the times were very good. In my test lightwave was in discovery mode because It is too later and I dont have more time to config the usb virtual box driver. I think that when I config the usb driver, this windows can get my dongle and lightwave works perfect. But I think that the test was great. Here is three images of my lightwave running in linux. The test was made with desktop effects activated. :thumbsup:

LAV
11-10-2007, 11:17 AM
I'd prefer to see LW running in Linux natively... But your linux box makes me happy and smiling :) E' una ... vista... divertente!

MooseDog
11-10-2007, 10:17 PM
that's very encouraging ana027. thx for posting the screenshots.

question/test: try if you would this test. do a ctrl/alt mouse click anywhere on the lw running in virtual box. see how many menu items deep you can move your mouse into. i know this is an ogl problem with w.i.n.e., but would like to see if it is resolved in virtual box.

:thumbsup: :D

Phil
11-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Hi all, yesterday I think to make one test with linux and virtual box. I think to install windows xp sp2 on virtual box in my ubuntu 7.04 and after I install lightwave in this windows. Lightwave works fine in this windows, and the times were very good. In my test lightwave was in discovery mode because It is too later and I dont have more time to config the usb virtual box driver. I think that when I config the usb driver, this windows can get my dongle and lightwave works perfect. But I think that the test was great. Here is three images of my lightwave running in linux. The test was made with desktop effects activated. :thumbsup:

Not particularly surprising, but nice to know. The issue, though, is that now you have around 200 MB of memory consumed by the virtualisation environment and Windows, just to run LW on top of linux. That's not particularly efficient and Wine strikes me as a better option. You just have to work around the dongle issues (now that OpenGL seems to be working better in newer versions of Wine)

ana027
11-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Yes but I think that with wine perhaps all plugins doesn't works and If you used virtual box and you have 2 or 3 Gb of memory lw works really good with the cpu moment with two, four core.... the speed of lw is very good with virtual box and all plugins works because you are in windows.

Phil
11-12-2007, 02:26 AM
I've never seen a plugin that doesn't work under Wine. The only issue is working around the dongle issues; given that I tend to work with very large scenes, losing 200 MB or more of memory is not attractive.

That said, I spend most of my time these days inside OS X. Linux is reserved for the renderfarm machines.

starbase1
11-12-2007, 05:13 AM
Thanks for sharing this, and let us know how you get on with the USB driver!

I think memory is not a major issue - as Linux will support more than XP. Run modeler in one VM and Layout in the other! Each can have the maximum memory XP will allow. (Oh, and lets stick photoshop in a third VM for the stuff Gimp still can't do).

I intend to try this myself as soon as I get the whizzy new PC running.

Nick

birderman
12-23-2007, 06:49 PM
so good improvement ana027, i love your discover and i hate my worst english :P
but i recomend you gentoo linux :) is too better for do test