PDA

View Full Version : I'm confuzzled (again) about H.264 and Flash 9

Tom Wood
11-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey folks,

I'm trying to set up a 3D animation cartoon series on Brightcove and currently use the ON2 VP6 encoder that shipped with Flash 8. It's a crippled version of the ON2 Flix encoder in that it only does 1-pass encoding. I -really- like the end result of 2-pass encoding in QT Pro. There is apparently a sea-change about to occur as Flash 9 players will 'support' H.264 video.

I can do 2-pass encoding in Quicktime Pro using the H.264 encoder but it mostly exports to some version of a .mov file. Will those files play in the upcoming Flash 9 video players, or do I need something more? (Like more expensive, more complicated....)

Thanks,

Tom

jeffreywpearson
11-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Tom,

I quick checked just now. The Flash Player 9 is actually available for download now at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

I have always found it best to check for myself.

I just got tasked at work to deal with all of this so I am just learning the Flash video stuff. Keeping in mind that I am having to deal specifically the Flash Media Server: But, theoretically, Flash video puts the stuff into the .flv file format. The codec INSIDE the flv will be h.264 instead of the current h.263.

I don't know if this means the player will directly play a QUICKTIME MOV file with the h.264 encoding or not, but it definitely means it will play a Flash Movie FLV file with h.264 encoding.

Not sure if this clears this up any more than mud or not......

Jeff Pearson

Tom Wood
11-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks Jeff,

Yes, I understand that I could just install the Beta Flash 9 player and test this myself, but I seem to be one of those people that the Install Wizards have targeted for abuse. It almost never goes right. I'd have to uninstall the (currently working) Flash 8 to install a Beta Flash 9, and then later uninstall that to install the final version, which will have six more months of updates. Way too many opportunities for Wizard abuse. :D

So I thought I'd just ask the question first. It appears we are all waiting on Adobe to finish the darn thing.

Silkrooster
11-10-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't know if this means the player will directly play a QUICKTIME MOV file with the h.264 encoding or not, but it definitely means it will play a Flash Movie FLV file with h.264 encoding.
Jeff Pearson
I wouldn't be supprised. Flash CS3 can export quicktime and Bridge can play quicktime. So they have the code, its just the matter of making it lean enough for file downloads via the net to install the player.
Silk