PDA

View Full Version : FilmGimp installation on OS X

Beamtracer
02-08-2003, 08:42 AM
I have copied this thread from the old Newtek forums. I thought it may be useful for the thread to remain active so people can share their experiences.

It's about installing some cool image manipulating software called FilmGimp, onto Mac OS X.

What is so special about FilmGimp?
It's an image editor / paint program similar to Photoshop. However FilmGimp differs in that it is designed to handle 16-bit-per-channel (bpc) and floating point images. It is also designed to work with image sequences.

What is Gimp?
Gimp is a different application designed to handle 8bpc images. It is not the same application to FilmGimp.

What is wrong with Photoshop?
Photoshop is not very suitable for professional video or film work, as it only really can edit 8bpc images. You can load up a 16bpc image in Photoshop, but you can't use masks, layers or most of the filters. This makes it practically useless. Film work demands 16bpc images to take advantage of the full dynamic range of film. Video work requires 16bpc as if you create 8bpc images with soft gradients they may look OK on your computer monitor, but when you transfer them to Y-UV video you'll get ugly banding artifacts every time. For this reason, Photoshop should be avoided.

So if you are working with video or film, ditch Photoshop and go with FilmGimp. Scroll down for my instructions on how to install FilmGimp on Mac OS X 10.2.3 (Jaguar). You may also want to cross-reference an article which has just been posted on Creative Mac magazine, which describes a similar process:
http://www.creativemac.com/2003/01_jan/tutorials/filmgimpx11030109.htm

One day the installation of FilmGimp will be simpler than what it is now. Later in the year there will be a version of FilmGimp released than runs natively in OS X's Aqua interface. However, until that happens, you'll need to do it the hard way and run it in Apple's X11 environment.

This is the most difficult installation I've tried, and it cannot be described as easy. Anyone who tries this should have a cable or DSL modem (rather than a dial-up internet connection), Mac OSX 10.2.3 (Jaguar) + Developer Tools, as well as many hours of free time. This will take hours. Also, all important data on your hard drive should be backed up, as it is beta software you are installing.

There are 6 components you'll need to install on your computer:

Apple Developer Tools
Xfree86 4.2
Xfree86 4.2.1.1 updater
Fink
MacFilmGimp
X11

You must install these components in the order that I list below. This is because the installation of some components destroys other components. For example, installing Xfree86 will overwrite essential components of X11 and vice versa. It will also overwrite any previous installations of FilmGimp. So if you installed FilmGimp or X11 first, they would need reinstalling later in the process. If you have previously installed any of the above components, or are doing this for the second time, erase the installations and start again.

Step 1

OK, here we go. The first thing to do is install a new version of Apple Developer Tools. This exists as a separate disk in the box that Jaguar came in. You must use the new version of Developer Tools. I tried this with the Developer Tools that came with the original Mac OSX (10.0) and it prevented the installation of FilmGimp.

Step 2

The next thing to download and install is Xfree86. You can get it from here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xonx/XInstall_10.1.sit
Note: This is a 53MB download, so it may take a while.

Step 3

After installing Xfree86 4.2, you need to update it to 4.2.1.1. The 4.2.1.1 updater can be found here:
http://www.xdarwin.org/files/XFree86_4.2.1.1.zip
This link will immediately start downloading the file, which is a couple of MB in size. Download and install it.

Step 4

Download and install Fink. You can get it from here:
http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/index.php

If you want to find out more information about Fink, there are some FAQs here:
http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/index.php

Step 5

After installing Fink, launch the Terminal application, which is located in the Utilities folder on your hard drive.

Step 6

In the Terminal window, type the following:
pico .cshrc
Note the space in the middle. You may want to copy and paste it. Press the Return key. This will bring up the text editor window.

Step 7

If there is any text in the text editor window first clear it by using the arrow and delete keys, then type the following (but do not hit Return yet):
source /sw/bin/init.csh
Note the space after 'source'.

Step 8
To get out of the editor, press control-O, return, control-X. Quit the Terminal application.

Step 9

Download the MacFilmGimp from this address:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57007
I downloaded the 'binary' version called:
MacFilmGimp-0.13-1.dmg.gz
(NOTE: MacFilmGimp will have been updated to a newer version by the time you read this.)
The installation may also work with the source version, though I haven't tested it. The FilmGimp application has a blue aqua-style icon. Drag it to your applications folder, or wherever you want to keep it.

Step 10
Launch the Terminal application again, then launch the FilmGimp by clicking on its blue icon. This is the crazy bit. It initiates an incredibly long download and installation process which takes at least an hour, maybe two hours or more. The terminal window will keep spewing out endless text. At one stage it will stop and ask if you want to install more things (Y/N?). Hit the y key (yes) and return. It will continue for another half hour or so. If all went to plan, this will finish with the line "setting up filmgimp (0.13-1)".

Step 11

Download and install Apple's new X11 beta software. You can get it here:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/download/
You have to give Apple an email address before it'll let you download, but you can enter anything if you like.

Step 12

Launch X11. In the Xterm window, type the following:
filmgimp
Then hit return. If the Xterm window doesn't show up, you may need to install X11 again.

Step 13
Launch FilmGimp and select X11 in the dialog box that comes up. It will ask you to install some extra stuff... say yes and install it.

Done! Hopefully you now have FilmGimp working on your Mac. FilmGimp has more windows and menus than is first obvious, so spend some time exploring it! Post your experiences below on this thread.

Note:
Arnie Cachelin from Newtek wrote the following suggestion...
I think you could replace steps 6, 7, and 8 with:

In the Terminal window, type the following:

echo >.cshrc "source /sw/bin/init.csh"

And hit return.

I haven't tested Arnie's method, so I don't know if it works or not.

WilliamVaughan
02-08-2003, 09:11 AM
alot of info there....thanx!

riki
02-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Thankx Beam, yet another good reason to go OSX :)

Pensart
02-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi Beamtracer,

Could u help me out on this one, i'm stuck when i'm processing Step 10
Launch the Terminal application again, then launch the FilmGimp by clicking on its blue icon. This is the crazy bit. It initiates an incredibly long download and installation process which takes at least an hour, maybe two hours or more. The terminal window will keep spewing out endless text. At one stage it will stop and ask if you want to install more things (Y/N?). Hit the y key (yes) and return. It will continue for another half hour or so. If all went to plan, this will finish with the line "setting up filmgimp (0.13-1)".

All i get is this...
Last login: Sun Feb 23 22:15:32 on ttyp2
sudo fink -y install filmgimp
Welcome to Darwin!
[pensarts-Computer:~] pensart% sudo fink -y install filmgimp
Reading package info...
Updating package index... done.
Information about 924 packages read in 4 seconds.

fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual dependency. The
candidates:

(1) giflib: GIF image format handling library, LZW-enabled version
(2) libungif: GIF image format handling library, LZW-free version

Pick one: [1] (assuming default)

candidates:

(1) system-xfree86: Placeholder package for manually installed XFree86
(2) xfree86-base: XFree86 libraries, utilities, clients and data

candidates:

(1) giflib-shlibs: GIF image format handling library, LZW-enabled version
(2) libungif-shlibs: GIF image format handling library, LZW-free version

candidates:

(1) giflib-bin: GIF image format handling library, LZW-enabled version
(2) libungif-bin: GIF image format handling library, LZW-free version

The following package will be installed or updated:
filmgimp
The following 50 additional packages will be installed:
aalib aalib-bin aalib-shlibs audiofile audiofile-bin audiofile-shlibs db3
db3-shlibs dlcompat dlcompat-dev dlcompat-shlibs docbook-dsssl-nwalsh
docbook-dtd esound esound-bin esound-common esound-shlibs filmgimp-shlibs
giflib giflib-bin giflib-shlibs glib glib-shlibs gnome-libs-dev
gnome-libs-shlibs gtk+ gtk+-data gtk+-shlibs gtk-doc imlib imlib-shlibs
libjpeg libjpeg-bin libjpeg-shlibs libmpeg-shlibs libpng libpng-shlibs
libtiff libtiff-bin libtiff-shlibs netpbm netpbm-bin netpbm-shlibs openjade
orbit orbit-bin orbit-shlibs passwd sgml-entities-iso8879 system-xfree86
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] (assuming default)
curl -f -L -s -S -O ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/libs/mpeg_lib-1.3.1.tar.gz
curl: (19) Failed to open file.
### execution of curl failed, exit code 19
Downloading the file "mpeg_lib-1.3.1.tar.gz" failed.

(1) Give up
(2) Retry

How do you want to proceed? [2] (assuming default)

(1) Give up
(2) Retry

(1) Give up
(2) Retry

(1) Give up
(2) Retry

(1) Give up
(2) Retry

How do you want to proceed? [1] (assuming default)
Failed: file download failed for mpeg_lib-1.3.1.tar.gz of package libmpeg-1.3.1-6
[pensarts-Computer:~] pensart%

Beamtracer
02-23-2003, 07:19 PM
Hi Pensart. I actually don't know why your's is failing to happen. The only thing I can suggest is to remove the installations and start again. You have to be careful to install each component in the correct order, as if something is installed to early it may corrupt something else that has already been installed.

Pensart
02-23-2003, 07:27 PM
I think i'm going to wait for the osx release.
I Already offered 2 days on this install.
2 days without working on my projects :(

skippy
04-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Say, Beam...

I've downloaded all the components in your instructions except for the MacFilmGimp..what I get is an 84K text file. I'm using OS9 at work to do the downloading because of the MUCH faster connection than I have at home.

Is there a way I can get around this? What is the text file, anyway, and why can't I just get directly to a download link?

Thanks for any tips!

J

Beamtracer
04-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Hi Skippy. Don't try the installation unless you have a broadband internet connection on your OS X machine. This is because many of the components are downloaded during the installation process.

The installation can take hours, even on broadband. Don't forget that FilmGimp is now renamed CinePaint. Since the instructions were written at the beginning of this thread, some of the components have been updated to newer versions. Some may now be at different web addresses.

There will be an easier to use version of FilmGimp/Cinepaint released in a few months that will work in the OS X Aqua interface, and be easier to install. You may want to wait for this.

Johnny
04-14-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
Hi Skippy. Don't try the installation unless you have a broadband internet connection on your OS X machine. This is because many of the components are downloaded during the installation process.

The installation can take hours, even on broadband.

OK..guess I'll wait..I just have a mere 56K...

S

Johnny
07-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Finally got DSL at home, and followed the MacFilmGimp instructions...got all the way to double-clicking on the MFG icon, and got this in the terminal:

Last login: Wed Jul 9 09:54:47 on ttyp2
sudo fink -y install filmgimp
Welcome to Darwin!
[John-Johnsons-Computer:~] johnjohnson% sudo fink -y install filmgimp
Information about 924 packages read in 1 seconds.

candidates:

(1) giflib: GIF image format handling library, LZW-enabled version
(2) libungif: GIF image format handling library, LZW-free version

The following package will be installed or updated:
filmgimp
The following 14 additional packages will be installed:
db3 dlcompat-dev docbook-dsssl-nwalsh docbook-dtd filmgimp-shlibs giflib
gnome-libs-dev gtk-doc libjpeg libpng libtiff netpbm openjade
sgml-entities-iso8879
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] (assuming default)
rm -rf db3-3.3.11-12
rm: db3-3.3.11-12/db-3.3.11: Directory not empty
rm: db3-3.3.11-12: Directory not empty
### execution of rm failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't remove existing directory db3-3.3.11-12
[John-Johnsons-Computer:~] johnjohnson%

I wonder if an existing installation of Gimp for OSX would be interfering. I used Fink during that install, and so followed the recommendation NOT to install again for the MFG install..

maybe I should search and destroy all traces of Gimp, Fink and all the other stuff and start again fresh, or is there another workaround?

thanks for any info!

J