PDA

View Full Version : Reliability - Macbook 128m Nvidia vs. 256M Nvidia

wtdedula
11-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Hello All;
I have to purchase a Mac-based computer to test some graphics software that i'm having developed for me and I figured I'd get a machine that would also run Lightwave Ver. 9.

I would like to know how much of a difference 128 Meg vs 256 Meg of Graphics memory makes on the reliability of running Lightwave V. 9 ? Is it much better to go with 256 MB or OK to go for 128 MB ? Will rendering go faster with 256 MB than with 128 MB ?

Since I am really a PC guy and also don't want to devote a special place in my home for a full size Mac system, I am considering a Macbook Pro 2.2 GHZ Core 2 Duo rather than the 2.4 GHZ version which is a bit more economical.

Thanks for any thoughts on this subject you can provide.

Tim

LW_Will
11-09-2007, 09:13 PM
wtdedula,

I wen't for the 15" MBPro with all the lower options. Really, the differences are neglagble... what's the diff in the processors... .2? .4? Can you really see that? The graphics work fine. I'm running 2 monitors and LW 9.3...

The one thing I can really see speeding the whole thing up is more ram. OWC give you a dual 2gig system for 4g total ram. I'd recommend it.

Also, when you get Leopard (10.5) you get a system called Boot Camp that allows you to run Windows in a separate partition. So, the MBP will be your new Windows system... just don't run Vista on it... nothing wrong with it, I just hate Vista... ;-)

MacDoggie
11-10-2007, 11:33 AM
wtdedula,

I wen't for the 15" MBPro with all the lower options. Really, the differences are neglagble... what's the diff in the processors... .2? .4? Can you really see that? The graphics work fine. I'm running 2 monitors and LW 9.3...

The one thing I can really see speeding the whole thing up is more ram. OWC give you a dual 2gig system for 4g total ram. I'd recommend it.

Also, when you get Leopard (10.5) you get a system called Boot Camp that allows you to run Windows in a separate partition. So, the MBP will be your new Windows system... just don't run Vista on it... nothing wrong with it, I just hate Vista... ;-)

I can add to this, I have a MacBook Pro which I take to work with me. I have really grown to LOVE this machine. I was given a dual 2.9 G5 with 2 gigs of Ram and I have to admit I prefer the Dou Core Intel MacBook Pro over their tower. The only thing though I can only put 4 gigs Max which is what I am going to do to be able to handle really large scenes easier than it already does. I run a 24' Apple Cinema Display with it as well so I have a nice dual Monitor set up. Not bad for a little power book!

Frankly, I never thought I would ever have the affinity that I have for this little box that I normally have for the towers but this is really a nice box to have. I still prefer a tower but if you need a Powerful Portable Mac solution. Then the Mac book Pro 15' :bowdown: :heart: :bowdown: is your ticket mate!

wtdedula
11-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Hello;
Thank you for all of your comments. I have actually gone in a little different direction then I was originally planning ... after thinking it over a bit but I still took your advice.

Since I am a PC user with thousands of dollars in productivity software for Video and 3-D, I decided not to sink too much money in a Mac System since I really only have one task for it - evaluating some software I'm having developed plus creating an installer for that software.

The minimum system that would run my software and allow me to create an installer is an Intel-based IMAC with 128MB dedicated (Not shared) ATI Graphics Memory. I will take your advice and probably upgrade the memory to 4 GB through a third party (Not Apple). So that's what I bought today. If I find I love the Mac better than the PC, I may opt for a Macbook Pro eventually when I'm better able to afford it. Hopefully this was a good choice. Of course, I will install Lightwave as I originally planned.

When I walked into my local Apple Store today, I was very suprised to find it absolutely packed with people.

Tim

Steamthrower
11-10-2007, 06:29 PM
I use a MacBook Pro, with only a 128 MB Radeon. It works quite fine for me. I do agree, however, that an iMac would be the most economical choice for you. A note: buy refurbished! I was able to save $500 when I bought mine from Apple, which meant that for my budget I was able to get a much better configuration than I had planned (a $2100 computer for about $1600).

wtdedula
11-11-2007, 05:10 AM
Hi Inigo07;
Thanks for your additional thoughts/suggestions. I actually did consider buying a refurbished unit quite a bit but them read some forum posts that suggested that it perhaps wasn't a goiod idea. But I still think it would have been OK to go that route except that I wouldn't have gotten the latest Operating system.

Tim

Steamthrower
11-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I was at first wary of buying refurbished. But when it came in their was literally not a single blemish, scratch, anything. But it boils down to your preference + budget ratio!