PDA

View Full Version : how to put detail on the head

lreyes
11-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I have a model of a charactor made from a box and then beveled. How does one put detail in the head to put eyes and mouth when there are not enough polygons. I put an attachment to show you, how you can see it?

Surrealist.
11-09-2007, 12:12 PM
First get a nice plugin that will help you.

Go to this page and look for Mirror Tools (http://www.aooe58.dsl.pipex.com/htm/frameplugins.shtml).

If you need to check the manual on how to add and use plugins.

This plugin will help. But in either case split your model down the middle so that there is an edge at 0 on the x. this will help if you get out of symmetry and can just delete one side then mirror it.

Then for detail on the head there are lots of tutorials for that starting with box shapes. Look at the training section on the NT site.

The most common tools used for this are the Kife tool, Multishift (the new Suppershift) tool, Bandsaw Pro, Spin Quads and Merge Polygons, for working with the box modeling method.

It helps to turn subpatches off and work with the model in polygon mode to set your geometry.

Beyond that it can get complicated real fast. Best thing to do is do a tutorial, then you ll get a clear idea. Better that then learning bad habits.

Thing about your example is that to add detail further it takes a little more understanding of polyflow. You can check out my tutorial as well for a broader understanding of subpatches and the various methods available to you.

Surrealist.
11-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Here are a couple of simple tutorials.

Basic Modeling - shows creating a thumbnail and a few other things (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Imodel_web.mov).

Creating a simple Mouth (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Mouth.mov).

More of them here (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.php)

lreyes
11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
THANK U SO MUCH, i WILL SAVE YOUR TUTS AND TRY IT. DO i HAVE TO START OVER OR CAN i JUST WORK ON THE HEAD OF MY MODEL?

Sensei
11-09-2007, 02:16 PM
The easiest way of adding details to your head is using EasySplit http://easysplit.trueart.pl.. :) Then after cutting in perspective viewport just extrude and/or translate points..

Surrealist.
11-09-2007, 03:41 PM
THANK U SO MUCH, i WILL SAVE YOUR TUTS AND TRY IT. DO i HAVE TO START OVER OR CAN i JUST WORK ON THE HEAD OF MY MODEL?

No. You can use what you have for now, it is just that it is too complicated to explain in a post for many reasons. If you look at the tutorials you can get ideas on how to take what you have and make something with it.

They key thing is - no matter what tool you use -is to know what to do with it. That is, what the aim as far as polyflow is concerned. This can only come with practice and tutorials.

There are two areas in Modeling.

1) Understanding tools and what they do.

Taught in the manual.

2) Understanding what to do with them and why.

Taught in turotials, practice, experience and of course personal preference.

It is better to finish the model you are working on, learn from it and then move on.

There was a great written tutorial on creating a simple toon character but the page is under construction.

Here is a video on Spinquads. (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/spinquads.mov) this short quick tutorial shows some basic ideas on how to add some detail to a head using the box modeling technique.