- "Unseen by Radiosity" supported
- polygon size supported
- Light leaks in corners fixed
- another bunch of bugs fixed

Login and download it

Exception
11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Awesome!

It's such a fantastic release, it should be called 2.0, and money should be charged! Yes, sir, it should!

Look at this render, it took only 7 minutes with full AA, motion blur and DOF...

Weepul
11-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Now THAT is what I call a RENDER. 8/

Nice scene, too.

animotion
11-08-2007, 10:09 PM
It's such a fantastic release, it should be called 2.0, and money should be charged! Yes, sir, it should!

I totally agree!!

Wanna pay for my copy? :hey:

Phil
11-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Can someone throw some volumetrics in a sample scene? I have no idea what features of LW are not supported at the moment

silverlw
11-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Hypervoxels!

Captain Obvious
11-09-2007, 05:12 AM
Kray is a lot better at anti-aliasing in 1.7 than it was in 1.6. There are still some issues with it (its motion blur is pants, for example), but for non-motion blurred shots, it works quite well.

silverlw
11-09-2007, 05:16 AM
I dont know what version you tried but AA have been through a constant and still ongoing development for a long time now. One rather big improvement to both speed and quality happened in OB4 if i recall version number correct, there was a bug that caused strong lightsources such as luminous polygons to constantly fail proper edgedetection. That one is now fixed and for the moment im not aware of any other bugs in Krays AA system but theres always room for constant improvements ofcourse.

Sensei
11-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Can someone throw some volumetrics in a sample scene? I have no idea what features of LW are not supported at the moment

KRay renders TrueHair now...

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/TrueHair/Graphics/TrueHair_KRay.png

silverlw
11-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Omg, you have to update to OB5 Sensei! :D (and use some AA or more subdivisions on the hair)

Sensei
11-09-2007, 07:29 AM
If everything will be fine in Monday I will have Kray with VirtualRender support, that will render on my renderfarm... I have made KRay SDK in July and waiting 4 months for filling it and use in VirtualRender..

Limbus
11-09-2007, 09:08 AM
If everything will be fine in Monday I will have Kray with VirtualRender support, that will render on my renderfarm... I have made KRay SDK in July and waiting 4 months for filling it and use in VirtualRender..

That sounds great!

Exception
11-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Wow, its great to see plugin developers work together!
I wish worley would do more of the same.

silverlw
11-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Sensei: That's exactly what we hope for. Virtualrender + Kray will be sweet music together. :heart:

Intuition
11-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Oh, man it has been too long since I fired up Kray.

Nice to see the progress Silver!

I'll go download it now and give it a spin.

Will it use 8 cores? :)

SP00
11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I like to give this Kray a shot, any word on a demo release?

silverlw
11-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Of course kray supports 8 cores! but hink of, let's say 200 computers in a network rendering animations and incredible high resolution stills with Virtual render!

Spoo: Nope there aint no demo of kray until we think it's completly ready.

Intuition
11-09-2007, 12:28 PM
You know Silver, on many of my scenes it always says the Oct tree depth is too low. I use the highest settings.

Any thoughts?

silverlw
11-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Usually i only increase it when i really have to. Kray can complain quite often about "octree to low" especially when you have large outdoorscenes but you notice when the octree really is to low since then it will crawl.

artstorm
11-10-2007, 05:13 AM
Sensei: That TrueHair/Kray shot almost pushes me over the edge to pick up Kray. :bowdown: Is there any advantages using TrueHair with Kray over the native LightWave render engine? Rendering time or other things?

Sensei
11-10-2007, 08:35 AM
KRay has progressive rendering mode - so you almost immediately (couple of seconds, on quad-core maybe even less than 1 sec) see how TrueHair object will be looking like, and then AA is done by KRay, which takes time.. In LW you have to wait for finish let's say 30-50% to have good idea how it'll be looking and then adjust settings, it's much more productive in KRay..

mav3rick
11-10-2007, 08:42 AM
sensei great to see virtuarender will work with kray over renderfarm!!!!!

Sensei
11-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Target solution will be: user play with scene like with FPrime, VirtualRender detects changes and send data to all rendering nodes, they render data and send result to VirtualRender (if you have selected KRay Render Engine, it'll be used by VR). VirtualRender refreshes preview window. This way volumetrics, 3rd party renders, nodes, procedural textures, shaders, pixel-filters (f.e. SasQuatch/FiberFactory4), image-filters, will be visible in real-time preview window and the whole farm can help making your scene, not just final output.. And there will be no multi-threading issues like with FPrime..

Exception
11-10-2007, 10:15 AM
In LW you have to wait for finish let's say 30-50% to have good idea how it'll be looking and then adjust settings, it's much more productive in KRay..

As much as I love Kray, that's really not the case.
Lw also has a progressive render engine for the most important radiosity modes. I find its feedback just as fast if not more responsive than Kray's.

Kray's power lies in complex radiosity and raytracing scenes where it can be from one to a dozen times faster than Lightwave's native renderer. Kray does not support everything Lightwave does, but it is very complete.

In terms of speed/features this is the list:

Lightwave: most features, usually the slowest
Fprime: Lots of features, reasonably fast
Kray: limited features, very fast

This is of course scene dependent and there are cases in which Lw will outperform the other two.
Kray has the added advantage of a proper GI disk cache.

*Pete*
11-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Target solution will be: user play with scene like with FPrime, VirtualRender detects changes and send data to all rendering nodes, they render data and send result to VirtualRender (if you have selected KRay Render Engine, it'll be used by VR). VirtualRender refreshes preview window. This way volumetrics, 3rd party renders, nodes, procedural textures, shaders, pixel-filters (f.e. SasQuatch/FiberFactory4), image-filters, will be visible in real-time preview window and the whole farm can help making your scene, not just final output.. And there will be no multi-threading issues like with FPrime..

:eek:

fantastic, will this be possible in the near future?

silverlw
11-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Sensei has done his part of the work and Grzegorz is now coding as we speak.
Hey Worley! Wanna join the team? :D

Haven1000
11-12-2007, 01:50 AM
This is beginning to look very promising.

especially this part:

image-filters, will be visible in real-time preview window and the whole farm can help making your scene, not just final output.. And there will be no multi-threading issues like with FPrime..

:thumbsup:

Phil
11-12-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm confused. Can Kray render pixel filters, such as Fiber Factory?

AmigaNewTek
11-14-2007, 05:54 AM
@silverlw

Your signature says: Download latest kray.

Its possible to download a trial, beta, time limited, rendering limited and so on... version? :beta: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

It's an open beta or not?
it's possible to partecipate at the beta program? I can assure you that i'm a really good bug hunter!

archijam
11-14-2007, 06:05 AM
AmigaNweTek - Given that it already 'works', I think it is unreasonable to expect an unpaid for beta. The beta system works exactly as the LW beta system. A full release exists, you pay for a copy (of LW) to get access to the beta. :)

A limited feature trial edition is another matter .. and as far as I am aware they are planning on relseasing one when the current round of beta-testing is over. It is a plugin afterall.

j.

silverlw
11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Amiganewtek: Read more here. http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=999

Sensei
12-03-2007, 08:47 AM
sensei great to see virtuarender will work with kray over renderfarm!!!!!

That day came today.. ;)

Please send Kray scenes to me for rendering in super hi-resolutions..

mav3rick
12-04-2007, 02:33 AM
ill do so asap i get time to start work in kray