PDA

View Full Version : Panoramic Photos

Matthew Roddy
11-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I'd like to build a small virtual set, and would like to have a global backdrop. It's just fine if it looks hokey or really like a "set." That's actually kind of the goal.
Is there a place where I can find high-quality, high-resolution 360degree photos?
I'm mainly looking for something resembling the American Old West.

Thanks for your advice, links and suggestions (I know I can drive out to Joshua Tree, put my camera on a tripod and shoot it myself and then stitch it together, but I figure someone already did a great job somewhere).

Exception
11-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, I do have quite a few.
A couple are here in my story about a road trip... I have some more though.
Dunno if you're interested....
These are 12000 pixels wide on average.
http://www.except.nl/overig/roadtripusa/

they're not free though :)

starbase1
11-08-2007, 05:32 AM
You are not going to get that kind of stuff at the resolution you need for free. You are going to need prettty high resolution even for DVD levels of resolution in the final image, unless you stick to a fairly strong wide angle.

There are a few possibilities though...

I bought a couple of images from Renderosity (from a guy calling himself "bountiful knight"), that were very good value and may well match your needs. If you search there, they may be easy enough to find.

A suitably western landscape should be a doddle for Vue to knock out as an environment. (With match HDR for good lighting).

Dosch have some impressive looking stuff:
https://www.doschdesign.com/products/hdri/

Their SDesert and Dawn set might be ideal for cowboys!
https://www.doschdesign.com/products/hdri/Desert_Dawn.html

Given the history of Spagehetti Westerns, the italy set may also be useful:
https://www.doschdesign.com/products/hdri/Italy.html

Nick

tudor
11-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Why not shoot the pics yourself :)
http://www.0-360.com/
I want this.. not 360 degres in Y but still cool.

Silkrooster
11-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Price of it is probably well worth it. But its close to photoshop in price. Then again its less manual work pressing the shutter bottun and moving your feet. lol.
Silk

Exception
11-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Price of it is probably well worth it. But its close to photoshop in price. Then again its less manual work pressing the shutter bottun and moving your feet. lol.
Silk

Yeah but it'll never give you the resolution that multiple photos will...
10 photos with 1/3rd overlap at 10 megapixels is a 66 mega pixel image...
1 shot is well... after distortion correction, perhaps 6 megapixels?

Silkrooster
11-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Good point.
Silk

Andyjaggy
11-11-2007, 04:31 PM
If you want to shoot panos check out nodalninja. www.nodalninja.com

An awesome pano head at a good price.

ted
11-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Mathew, and others, when I was at the NewTek 20th Anniversary in San Antonio, I met the actor who played Lurch in the Adams Family Movie, (forget his name).
As side income, he does some awesome 360 panoramas for some high end clients, (mostly Web) but I bet he's got a library of options.
He gave me his card. I'll try and find it at the office tomorrow. He did some great work and I'd love for a NewTek Fan to get some exposure here.
e-mail me if I forget. :D

starbase1
11-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Personally I find the combination of a camera with a good wide angle. and PT Gui for stitching to be absolutely excellent. It does have some difficulties in stitching sky sometimes, (hardly surprising!), but 99 times out of 100 it gets everything right automatically.

Phil
11-12-2007, 12:57 AM
For what it is worth, I have been really, really impressed with AutoPano Pro. It made excellent work of around 5 GB of holiday photos, most of which were panoramic sequences from New York, Washington and Virginia.

I'd highly recommend it.

Andyjaggy
11-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Personally I find the combination of a camera with a good wide angle. and PT Gui for stitching to be absolutely excellent. It does have some difficulties in stitching sky sometimes, (hardly surprising!), but 99 times out of 100 it gets everything right automatically.

Yeah PTGUI is pretty awesome.

starbase1
11-12-2007, 11:57 AM
This thread needs a picture!
How about the great courtyard at the British Museum?

gerry_g
11-12-2007, 12:32 PM
This thread needs a picture!

As long as it's a picture of my brothers pub 'The George; in Ashton Northamptonhsire, I'll drink to that ;-)

Hopper
11-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, I do have quite a few.
A couple are here in my story about a road trip... I have some more though.
Dunno if you're interested....
These are 12000 pixels wide on average.
http://www.except.nl/overig/roadtripusa/
Some really great pics Exception. I enjoyed reading about the trip.

Exception
11-15-2007, 08:57 AM
PTGUI is great, HUGIN is greater... and free!

Andyjaggy
11-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Never heard of hugin.

Anyone here shooting with a canon 17-40?

I have yet to have much success being able to stitch anything taken with that lens. I think the extreme wide angle makes it near impossible.

starbase1
11-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Never heard of hugin.

Anyone here shooting with a canon 17-40?

I have yet to have much success being able to stitch anything taken with that lens. I think the extreme wide angle makes it near impossible.

Have you tried PT Gui? It knows the characteristics of most lenses, and I'm pretty sure the author will add any new ones he can. I'm happy to give it a go if you want to PM me and email me a couple to try...

Andyjaggy
11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Yes I have tried with PTGUI and still not much luck. It seems if I don't have anything too close in the foreground then it will stitch okay. however when I have a really dramatic composition with stuff close in the foreground then it has a hard time. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

starbase1
11-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Yes I have tried with PTGUI and still not much luck. It seems if I don't have anything too close in the foreground then it will stitch okay. however when I have a really dramatic composition with stuff close in the foreground then it has a hard time. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

How close do you get? The closer you are, the more precisely you must position the camera, and if you are a few feet away you will probably need to work out the optical centre of the camera, and rotate carefully around it.

The other way around it is to edit the control points manually, which is not difficult. But I suspect you might be underestimating the need to keep the camera exactly in the correct position...

Nick

art
11-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I used AutoStitch (http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html) for some of my photos. I am not sure right now if it can do 360deg panoramas but it is easy to use and also free. The site says demo version, but the only thing that demo does not seem to have is access to source code, patent, support and updates.

Andyjaggy
11-15-2007, 01:00 PM
How close do you get? The closer you are, the more precisely you must position the camera, and if you are a few feet away you will probably need to work out the optical centre of the camera, and rotate carefully around it.

The other way around it is to edit the control points manually, which is not difficult. But I suspect you might be underestimating the need to keep the camera exactly in the correct position...

Nick

Yes I do believe it is a nodal point issue. I just purchased a panoramic head for my tripod and will be able to pan the camera on the nodal point of the lens now. We will see how that helps.