PDA

View Full Version : CC morph bug?

ChrisBasken
11-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Can anyone else reproduce this?

Make a simple shape. Give it a simple morph.

Now, using Subpatch subdivisions, hit tab, then freeze the shape. Your morph should be preserved (it was for me in 9.3).

Okay, undo that freeze and bring it back to polygons. Change your subdivision type to CC. Hit tab, then freeze.

Did your morph disappear?

Is this a bug or an unavoidable characteristic of how CCs are generated?

Sensei
11-07-2007, 07:38 PM
I tried Freeze in LW v9.2 with object with morph - it's gone permanently.. Perhaps it leaved morph map because you had more than 1 layer?

But I confirm that the way I described in 2nd thread is working!

1) copy entire layer to 2nd layer
2) Freeze 1st layer on [base] morph selected
3) leave [base] morph, use Apply Morph on 2nd layer
4) select 1st layer, background 2nd layer, use Bkg to Morph

And you have frozen Sub-Patch with morphing...

If you have more than 1 morph, you will need to split them to as many layers..

ChrisBasken
11-07-2007, 08:09 PM
I tried Freeze in LW v9.2 with object with morph - it's gone permanently.. Perhaps it leaved morph map because you had more than 1 layer?

But I confirm that the way I described in 2nd thread is working!

1) copy entire layer to 2nd layer
2) Freeze 1st layer on [base] morph selected
3) leave [base] morph, use Apply Morph on 2nd layer
4) select 1st layer, background 2nd layer, use Bkg to Morph

And you have frozen Sub-Patch with morphing...

If you have more than 1 morph, you will need to split them to as many layers..

It might work with simple objects, but it completely scrambles my character. Good idea, though, probably just not universally appropriate.

Sensei
11-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Any chance you share object? I tried my technique on object that had 2500 sub-patches, frozen to 150,000 polys and complex morph and everything worked perfectly (except insane long waiting for Bkg to Morph finishing work)..

SplineGod
11-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Chris is does the same thing here.

ChrisBasken
11-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Any chance you share object? I tried my technique on object that had 2500 sub-patches, frozen to 150,000 polys and complex morph and everything worked perfectly (except insane long waiting for Bkg to Morph finishing work)..

I had already addressed my detail needs by adding geometry manually, but you can certainly try on this object. I'm still in the process of cleaning up his poly flow, so forgive any messiness there.

Chris is does the same thing here.

So this looks like buggy stuff, rather than the intended behavior of CCs?

Sensei
11-07-2007, 10:39 PM
So this looks like buggy stuff, rather than the intended behavior of CCs?

I just reported it to NewTek https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?9512_MUVWFVEW

ChrisBasken
11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Aha, I just watched your movie demo on cgsociety and I see what I was doing wrong. I was trying to apply the morph on the background while it was still in subpatch mode. No wonder it went crazy. :p

Thanks, I took the long way around for this particular model, but it's good to know how to do it for future reference.