PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave v9 (+) Trial Edition

MysteryMonkey
11-07-2007, 09:48 AM
I know a guy that wants to give Lightwave a try. He was looking to give it a 30 day workout but when we went looking on the Newtek website the link just says something like

"LightWave v9 Trial Edition Program Update in Process. Please check back."

Anyone know if that is going to be corrected any time soon, or is that on indefinite hold for now?

MM

Matt
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
I see no reason why:

A) The last released demo shouldn't still be there

B) Demos can't appear at the same time a new version is released

IMI
11-07-2007, 12:05 PM
It's been that way for at least a month, and probably alot longer. Pretty silly, isn't it?

For some reason I guess they don't want people having the demo at this time. Possibly because they consider LW 9.0 to be outdated and not a good representation of the program, and don't have a 9.2 or 9.3 demo available yet.

Maybe they're waiting for 9.4 or 9.5,6,7... 10.0.0.0.1c...who knows, but in any event, it happens fairly often that people ask here about a demo, and we just can do nothing but hang our heads in shame and answer... no. No, sorry about that. But be a good sport, eh, and check back often...

It's beginning to get irritating. Not that people ask, but for the answer we have to give.

Matt
11-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Agreed.

MysteryMonkey
11-07-2007, 05:33 PM
It's been that way for at least a month, and probably alot longer. Pretty silly, isn't it? . . .

Would anyone employed by NewTek care to comment on why the current situation exists, and how much longer it will continue? . . . I've gotta say, my first experience with Lightwave was through one of the trial/demo versions. I wouldn't have moved to LW if I wasn't first able to give it a test drive. It only makes sense (at least to me) that if you want people to spend money you need to give them a taste of what they are buying. . .

Steamthrower
11-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I really see the unavailability of the demo to be quite as bad as the fact that there is no readily viewable demo reel for Lightwave. I bought Lightwave in part because I literally scoured Google Video and YouTube for people's Lightwave showreels and liked what I saw. It should be easier than that.

Phil
11-08-2007, 12:57 AM
*sigh*

I gave CS a nudge about this. It seems that they removed the 9.2 demo version when 9.3 was about to be released. That was over two months ago and somehow they lack the organisational ability to hook something up in that time.

So....the only option is to use register.newtek.com, which used to allow anybody to download the current version of 9.x and run it as a demo version.

I'm not sure what more can be done. Repeated prodding is not enough, it seems. Even over a span of months. CS must spend the whole day surfing YouTube or FaceBook. It's the only explanation for such repeated inaction.

MysteryMonkey
11-08-2007, 05:35 AM
*sigh"....the only option is to use register.newtek.com, which used to allow anybody to download the current version of 9.x and run it as a demo version.

Phil,

Well that seems to be a viable solution. It appears that NewTek Europe has their act together much better than the USA home team. You'd think that the USA office could at least copy and post the info from the European office on their page where they just keep telling everyone to come back later. Jeez, are they trying to discourage potential new customers from ever giving it a try?

Thanks for the link to:
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/index_lw9trial.html

I appreciate the help.

MM

IMI
11-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't have thought about that. That'll come in handy the next time the question gets raised. :)

Phil
11-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Phil,

Well that seems to be a viable solution. It appears that NewTek Europe has their act together much better than the USA home team. You'd think that the USA office could at least copy and post the info from the European office on their page where they just keep telling everyone to come back later. Jeez, are they trying to discourage potential new customers from ever giving it a try?

Thanks for the link to:
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/index_lw9trial.html

I appreciate the help.

MM

Well it took over a decade for NewTek to realise that demo versions were useful. It's natural that there would be some ball-dropping, I guess. 10 years of ingrained indifference is hard to overcome.... (heavy dose of sarcasm)

I actually stuck the NewTek Europe link in my .sig because NewTek removed the demo version from their site. I'm glad someone found it useful.

For all those as unimpressed as I am, pinging [email protected] might prove useful.

MysteryMonkey
11-08-2007, 08:46 AM
I actually stuck the NewTek Europe link in my .sig because NewTek removed the demo version from their site. I'm glad someone found it useful.

Phil,

On that webpage you supplied the link to it says its a fully functioning version, but then it also says it will operated in demo mode with limited functionality until its registered. Do you know if that means once the trial version is registered with NewTek it will be fully functional for 30 days, or is the best that can be expected is for limited functionality of the program for 30 days. It isn't quite clear to me which it is?

Nothing worse than hitting the numerical cap on polys just as your getting into working with it.

MM

BeeVee
11-08-2007, 08:54 AM
When you register the trial version you have an almost complete version of LightWave for 30 days. The only limitations are as follows:

* Commercial plug-ins tied to a dongle don't work (since there's no dongle)
* In theory there is no tech support other than the forum, however if you ask nicely... ;)

B

Steamthrower
11-08-2007, 08:56 AM
I think that it will work in the same way your LW installation works without your dongle plugged in...poly count is limited, plus watermark on all renders I believe.

EDIT: sorry, posted at the same time as Ben. He knows more than I!

MysteryMonkey
11-08-2007, 09:12 AM
When you register the trial version you have an almost complete version of LightWave for 30 days. The only limitations are as follows:

* Commercial plug-ins tied to a dongle don't work (since there's no dongle)
* In theory there is no tech support other than the forum, however if you ask nicely... ;)

B

That sounds pretty reasonable. I think my friend should be happy enough with that arrangement.

BeeVee
11-08-2007, 09:29 AM
To inigo07: that's how it works *after* the thirty days are up. Before then, there's no holds barred.

B

beverins
11-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Any time frame for the Demo to be back online?

I have a number of students who would like to have a 30 day demo

IMI
11-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Any time frame for the Demo to be back online?

I have a number of students who would like to have a 30 day demo

Yes, here: http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/index_lw9trial.html

I guess. I mean, I don't know if it's limited to Europe or what, but I suppose I'd doubt it.

frantbk
11-09-2007, 06:53 AM
I really see the unavailability of the demo to be quite as bad as the fact that there is no readily viewable demo reel for Lightwave. I bought Lightwave in part because I literally scoured Google Video and YouTube for people's Lightwave showreels and liked what I saw. It should be easier than that.

Taking that one step further, a year ago Newtek talked about video's that would showcase lightwave 9.3 new tools. The only video that Newtek gave use was that lame interview about lightwave 9.3 and how it improved their workflow. I think Newtek's new image is lightwave customers are not at the top of any list of concerns.

MysteryMonkey
11-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Yes, here: http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/index_lw9trial.html

I guess. I mean, I don't know if it's limited to Europe or what, but I suppose I'd doubt it.

Use the directions found on the European link, but go to the US site for the download and registration process. It worked fine for the guy I originally asked the question for.

BeeVee
11-09-2007, 07:41 AM
It's not "the US site" per se, it's the global site used by everyone for registrations.

B

beverins
11-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Danke! :-)