PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade price went up$100???

panini
07-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Hmmm......

Safe Harbor was offering 6.5 - 7.5 upgrade for only $369, NewTek for $395 ( free v.8 when it arrives included )

Now those went up to $449 and $495 and are listed as special deals, limited time offers.

Does this mean after a limited time they'll come down back to under $400 :-)

Aren't special limited time offers supposed to work in the other direction?

mattclary
07-02-2003, 11:00 AM
Basically you can upgrade from 6.5 or prior to 8 for $495. This is pretty much the usual price for older version upgrades. When 7 came out, it was $395 to go to 7 from 6.x but $495 to go to 7 from anything prior to that. Once 8 is released, it will probably cost 7.x users $395 to go to 8.

It's called "striking while the iron is hot" in case you missed the $395 upgrade. ;)

MikeFrHoweTx
07-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Hi Mattcalry, you are talking theory, subjective opinion and standard price practices of other LW vendors; However you seem to have NOT observed the price changes at sharbor.com for LW pricing during the month of June, which Panini and I have observed and is the subject of this thread.
Early June, I was pondering the plain upgrade, (NON DFX+) LW 6.5 to 7.0 deal, (and getting LW8) AT Sharbor.com for $369.00 (retail $399.00) AS my Aura2.5 has enough special post effects for me. They also HAD the competitive upgrades for PhotoShop/3dMax/ and second LW7.5 seats for $499. So I emailed sharbor.com June 9, to clarify the LW specials and without responding to me, the basic $369 6.5 to 7.5 was $499 about a week latter and the super crossover competitive deals and second seat ($499) vanished. I suspected they would rather price gouge, noting people where nibbling by the HTML hits and emails of LW upgrading products? I seem to have confirmed this as Sharbor has the 3dLabs Wildcat 760 for $314.99 and Newegg.com has it for $229.00 (a Direct 8.1 product).
So they can raise it to the roof as far as I’m concerned. My bread and butter is not 3d work. However I now will gamble for a Aura3 with LW7 (or 8) upgrade deal, or Macromedia MX crossover? or watch LW8 or Luxology.net product announcements at SIGGRAPH to make my next buying decision.
Regards. Mike

mattclary
07-03-2003, 09:39 AM
Yes, it's theory, but based on objective, not subjective information. Past occurences are good indicators of future events (at least in this case). Reseller prices will follow Newtek's prices up and down, though resellers often sell the products for less than you can get them directly from Newtek.

Could you not follow what I said in my previous post? For all practical purposes, you are paying $449 to upgrade from 6.x to 8, which is the normal price for a multi version jump.

Also, SafeHarbor does not do the volume that Newegg does, so their prices are higher. Once again, though, their prices are lower than if you buy directly from the manufacturer. Hardly call that gouging.

denny
07-03-2003, 12:03 PM
mattclary,

You are correct on how the upgrade path has been in the past, but upgrading from 6.5 -> 7.5 is only one level and was $395. They had the upgrade to 7.5 and you get 8 free when it comes out at the end of the year promo.

Next they added the promo and $100 and gave you DFX+ making the upgrade price $495. This promo only lasted until June 30th. So, that deals over, you would think the price would drop back to the $395, seeing you are not getting the DFX+ deal.

The upgrade to 7.5 and get 8 free is still going on, but you would think they would mention in the promo that ended June 30th that the price was going to stay. If so, then I would have got the software and sold it and at least got something for the extra $100.

If it is going to stay at $495, then remove the promo that you are getting 8 free when it comes out in 6 months. If it's $495 from 6.5 -> 8.0, then say that.

Just give me clear understanding of what is going on in the marketing campaign. I have no problem paying $495 to upgrade from 6.5 -> 8.0, but 8.0 is not out and won't be for a while.

MikeFrHoweTx
07-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Yes Mattcary, gouging is way too strong a term for a nice Ma and Pa shop like Sharbor.com (I bought LW from them). I just noticed Newtek’s 6.5 to 7.5 is up $100.00 at this site (with no product enhancement this is even less appealing); so I have drawn a conclusion that mine and others emails about the $369.00 upgrade (at sharbor.com) could not be honored at their site, and their HTML web site editors and/or marketing departing are just slow to react; however they should have emailed be back with the reason. I’m all for Ma and Pa shops and try to buy from them when I can, however I do most of same product shopping at Walmart if I can save a large $%. That is why Walmart is successful.
Sharbors 37% premium price increase over Newegg.com 3dlabs products cannot be justified as the location and services are the same (WWW and box product); They probably need to qualify difference with installment or shop Retail to WWW differences. Where did you buy your Wildcat?
Regards. Mike.

mattclary
07-03-2003, 12:57 PM
I bought it an Newegg, of course! :) My point wasn't "Buy from SafeHarbor", it was, "You were getting a really good deal by paying $395 to move from 6.x to 8" Now you have to pay a little more, but it's still a pretty good deal. Think about it, if you buy every upgrade that is available (usually $395 when you move up ONE version) you pay $395 every 18 months or so for an awesome piece of software. My hobby is a lot cheaper than my buddy who races motorcyles! If 6.5 meets your needs, stick with it.

MikeFrHoweTx
07-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Hey Matt,
Try road biking as a hobby, err NO motors! It is cardiovascular beneficial, proven to raise you HDL and lower LDL. Sitting in front of a computer (as I frequently do), will stagnate fats in you arteries, making you prone to hypertension etc. I ride daily 40 to 70 miles on my Specialize Elite per day 6 days a week. Hate to sound like the TV commercial guy that tells everyone “Hey! I lowered my cholesterol”; But I lowered it from 201 to 161 and HDL up to 85 from 66, triglycerides at 30 as of 2 days ago.
By the way how is the Wildcat with games, FlashMX, NLE’s and compilers (i.e. C#/JAVA) and/or Linux (if you have any)? It is either the 760 or the FX5600 for me soon.
As far as LW, they need to go to a sliding scale upgrade path (cheaper closer to 7.5) or I will sit or change.
Regards Mike.

mattclary
07-09-2003, 08:56 AM
I'll probably die at 50, I'm to lazy to exercise! :) I don't do NLEs and such, waaaaay outta my league! So far, all I've used the new system (and the Wildcat) for is to play Neverwinter Nights! Even LightWave has gotten short shrift since I got my hands on the new NWN expansion. ;)

Doug Nicola
07-09-2003, 10:15 AM
"All the exercise I ever got was walking to the funerals of my friends who jogged." ~Mark Twain