PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a texture like this?

Etch
11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm working on a new project and about ready to start texturing things however, I'm a little confused about how to go about it.

In the scene I have pieces of metal melting, but only at the tips. How would I go about applying a good looking texture that has a glow affect in only a certain area.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.theironworkshop.com/images/p2s.jpg

WilliamVaughan
11-06-2007, 07:06 PM
You could mask the area with an image map, gradient, weight map etc.

Etch
11-06-2007, 07:08 PM
If I did an image map across the whole thing transitioning from a rusted-iron type look to molten metal is it possible for me to just add some glow to a specific spot on an object?

Or are you suggesting that I should just simulate the glow when I make the texture?

WilliamVaughan
11-06-2007, 07:16 PM
You can control exactly where you want glow to happen. Use a black and white image in the Luminosity channel. White is high value and black is low value. Here is an object that is using a gradient and a weight map....hope it help.

Etch
11-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks!
I'm sure it will be a big help :)

Etch
11-06-2007, 07:54 PM
So I'm not quite sure why this works but I think I understand enough of the concept to reproduce it. If you see anything that I could improve let me know.

By the way, for those who don't know I textured the rod not the coil.

WilliamVaughan
11-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Looks like your heading in the right direction...good luck!

wavk
11-07-2007, 01:33 AM
now throw some chanlum (shameless self promotion :) )or other sss on it and you are ready to go.

mlon

Ztreem
11-07-2007, 04:53 AM
A sss shader would be nice, but maybe adds a bit too much rendertime. One thing that will make it look nicer is to take the gradient or image map for luminosity and invert it and but it in diffuse.

trentonia
12-24-2007, 02:11 AM
I think you could use the same gradient in the bump channel that effects a procedural texture (that two textures in the bump channel). That way the "cooler" parts of the metal would have a texture while the "molten" part would be smooth. Perhaps Mr. Vaughn could tell me if this is correct or if I have it backwards. It's looking great!