PDA

View Full Version : Unique particles for underwater debris!

Jakkar
11-06-2007, 06:24 PM
I have a problem for a series of feature film shots I'm working on.
I need to add lots of debris (dirt specs, dead leaves and twigs) floating in river water, shot from under the surface. My problem is, I definitely need to use particles in order to have everything flow nicely with the current with vortex and turbulent winds affecting them.
But linking leaf and twig geometry to particles creates visible repeat texture/geometry.
Is there any way, any plugin that can help adding unique objects to a particle emitter without having to go into FXLink 300 times with different objects?
Basically, I've been able to clone a several thousand leaf objects but the client wants them to look more tattered, semi rotted and ragged. Adding clip maps and transparency procedurals to punch holes and tatter the edges looks good but creates very noticable repetition leaf to leaf. Trying to avoid creating dozens of unique leaves to hook up to the emitter.
I was able to produce this attached image, just a still, by adding transparency holes and tatter by using world coordinates to the texture, but if they flow and move, they will obviously be "moving through" the world coordinates and the holes will swim across the surfaces.
Anyone dealt with this before?
How can I get unique textures onto this many or more objects?
Same problem for the twigs and branches...uniqueness!

SplineGod
11-07-2007, 01:08 AM
You can use James Willmotts Object ID node.
It allows you to vary surface parameters of cloned objects using a gradient.

pooby
11-07-2007, 02:11 AM
My problem is, I definitely need to use particles in order to have everything flow nicely with the current with vortex and turbulent winds affecting them.

Not necessarily.. By using a point cloud, then adding bones create turbulence and swirls. THEN save out the mdd.
Reload the mdd and apply before bones. add new bones to create currents. re-apply as required. By doing this you can layer and stack up deformations infinitely.
You can get very controllable swirls and eddys even as they are being swashed about or move along a current.

By doing it this way you can use hard link on unique particles.

Jakkar
11-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Thanks guys...those are both great suggestions and each seems to have some advantages. The forums here have always rocked for help in tight situations.
Seeing as I've already got the particle emitters and winds set up, I'm going with the Object ID node for now. Seems to be doing the trick for the tattered edges and holes. I'm guessing I'll be able to get individual displacement maps on the cloned twigs as well, we'll see.
Thanks again and I'll post back to follow up!

Nangleator
11-09-2007, 12:07 PM
By using a point cloud, then adding bones create turbulence and swirls. THEN save out the mdd.
Whoah. Point cloud as in a dynamic particle object? Or using Spray Points in Modeler?

Either way, the motions from bones will be recordable as an MDD?

God, I've got to try this.

Jakkar
12-30-2007, 10:40 AM
So...it all worked and I have you guys to thank for it.
Now that the trailer is out I can tell you that this series of shots was for the feature film "Jumper" starring Hayden Christensen and Sam Jackson, about a kid who can teleport.
The shots given to me looked like they were shot in a swimming pool and they needed color correction and lots of debris floating in a strong current to justify his fast movement under the ice. The tow cable was removed, the shot was tracked and hundreds of thousands of particles and attached geometry, twigs and leaves were added. In some shots, lots of bubbles were added. Some of these you can see in the trailer here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/jumper/trailer/large.html

The shots are changing for final delivery, the debris will be more interactive and more tree limbs will be added in the foreground to add danger as they want it to look like he could get snagged along the way. Other shots I worked on in this movie show him under the ice from above (animated CG character), 3d CG matte paintings, CG props, set extensions, and lots and lots of bubbles. Should be a fun film, its been great working on it.
Thank you all again!

Stooch
12-31-2007, 03:31 PM
badass. i want to see that movie.

RTSchramm
12-31-2007, 06:49 PM
I can't wait to see the movie too, but where do I found the "James Willmotts Object ID node" that Splinegod referred to.

Rich

HowardM
01-03-2008, 05:52 AM
nice one! good to see LW being used more and more in films ;)

Jakkar
01-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I can't wait to see the movie too, but where do I found the "James Willmotts Object ID node" that Splinegod referred to.

Rich

I found it here:
http://www.symmetrix.com.au/index.php?page=plugins.php