PDA

View Full Version : Unique particles for underwater debris!

Jakkar
11-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I have a problem for a series of feature film shots I'm working on.
I need to add lots of debris (dirt specs, dead leaves and twigs) floating in river water, shot from under the surface. My problem is, I definitely need to use particles in order to have everything flow nicely with the current with vortex and turbulent winds affecting them.
But linking leaf and twig geometry to particles creates visible repeat texture/geometry.
Is there any way, any plugin that can help adding unique objects to a particle emitter without having to go into FXLink 300 times with different objects?
Basically, I've been able to clone a several thousand leaf objects but the client wants them to look more tattered, semi rotted and ragged. Adding clip maps and transparency procedurals to punch holes and tatter the edges looks good but creates very noticable repetition leaf to leaf. Trying to avoid creating dozens of unique leaves to hook up to the emitter.
I was able to produce this attached image, just a still, by adding transparency holes and tatter by using world coordinates to the texture, but if they flow and move, they will obviously be "moving through" the world coordinates and the holes will swim across the surfaces.
Anyone dealt with this before?
How can I get unique textures onto this many or more objects?
Same problem for the twigs and branches...uniqueness!

stevecullum
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
If your camera is moving pretty much straight ahead, you could use sprites for the bulk of the debris (stuff that appears to the sides and furthest from camera) and then use real geometry with some morphed variations, for the stuff that flies directly past the camera. You would still need to create a fair amount of varied maps, but that might be easier than lots of geometry. Also you could add the sprites in post with particular or fusion particles.

The other thing is how long does the shot last? If its only a few seconds then there isn't really time to take in 2000 variations of something, so you might be able to create just the amount you need to create the illusion of variety.

Limbus
11-15-2007, 03:26 AM
You can use the Object_ID node somebody made to add variance to the texture of the cloned objects.

stevecullum
11-15-2007, 04:22 AM
You can use the Object_ID node somebody made to add variance to the texture of the cloned objects.

Sounds like a cool node!

Any idea who made this one?

munky
11-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi there,

just in case you don't know. If you shift select say layer 1 to layer 300 in layout then do fx linker it will add layer one to particle 1 layer 2 to particle 2 etc and one over 300 particles layer one will be added to particle 301 and so on, depending how many linked objects you specify.

could be useful to know!

or make loads of leaves on a single layer apply hardlink and use path wind and/or other dynamics to make them flow/ move about.

hope this is of use

regards

Paul

Jakkar
11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
The object ID node worked perfectly...
Just pumped it through the position hookup of the transparency texture node that was creating my tattered holes and voila, unique leaves. The position was offset by the particle ID integer. Did the same thing with applying object ID node on the position connector of my displacement map node for the twigs to get unique looking bent twigs.
Thanks guys!
:rock: