PDA

View Full Version : can i easy make a copy of a piece of a clip.

Pingfus CPH
11-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Can i be true that it is not possible to mark a piece in a clip, and copy it to an other layer, it who'd be nice to be able to mark an in point and a out point, and then maybe brag and drop it to an other layer.by the way i edit on a studio model

SBowie
11-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Can i be true that it is not possible to mark a piece in a clip, and copy it to an other layer, it who'd be nice to be able to mark an in point and a out point, and then maybe brag and drop it to an other layer.by the way i edit on a studio modelSometimes it's harder to establish common understanding of terminology than it is to get the actual job done. ;)

To copy a clip (trimmed or otherwise) to another layer, you have several options - the simplest is to click on the clip, hold down CTRL, drag it to the new position on the timline, and release. This creates a duplicate clip on the timeline.

Pingfus CPH
11-07-2007, 02:55 AM
Sometimes it's harder to establish common understanding of terminology than it is to get the actual job done. ;)

To copy a clip (trimmed or otherwise) to another layer, you have several options - the simplest is to click on the clip, hold down CTRL, drag it to the new position on the timline, and release. This creates a duplicate clip on the timeline.
hi Steve.

Thank you for you reply, what I mean is, you got a clip, is 1 hour long.
I make a mark 15 min into the clip, and an other one at 20 min.
The 5 min markt clip, who'd I like to drag and drop to an other layer, how do I do that. ????

SBowie
11-07-2007, 05:56 AM
It sounds more like you want to "Cut" a clip than "Copy" it. To cut a clip at the current index mark, hit the "c" key. Move to another point, and repeat. Cut as many times as you like, and simply drag the cut sections wherever.

Better? Or still wrong?

NVentive
11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Sometimes I need to copy a section of a clip and leave the source clip in one piece.
A workaround to this is to load up the source clip, hit 'c' at the in and out point, hilite the section in the middle, hit 'ctrl-c,' then hit 'undo' a couple of times. You can now position your bar wherever you need and hit 'ctrl-v,' and end up with a copy of the cut clip while having your source unaffected.
It's a bit convoluted, but it works.....

SBowie
11-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Want another way?

Click on the clip to select it
Scrub to the frame you want to be the in-point for the copy, and press "m" (add marker.)
Move to the out-point, and press "m" again.
Drag the clip to an empty spot on the timeline with CTRL depressed, and release (making the copy)
Press "q" (move to the clip's first frame), then press "." (move to next marker), and "i" (set in-point)
Press "." again followed by "o" (set out-point).