PDA

View Full Version : Rotation Problem

agv
11-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm recently having a weird rotation problem. I set two key frames to make an object rotate on just one axis. But when I play it back, it's spinning around on multiple axis. The only way I know how to temporarily fix the problem is to delete the config file. But it shortly comes back and I can't figure out why.

I am switching from parent to world coordinates to do my rotation, could that have anything to do with it? I can't see why though.

Another detail: I can tell when it's going to go haywire because when I spin (on let's say the pitch axis only), the stats on the other axis change despite having their rotation buttons off.

Working with 9.3 build 1269

Any help please?:help:

Surrealist.
11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Are you using any motion modifiers with this or is it parented to anything with motion modifiers?

agv
11-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally I had a scene with a motion modifier...but then I started over with just a plain cube rotating and the problem returned. It seemed to happen after I switched from parent to world coordinate system.

agv
11-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I tried it again just to confirm. First I deleted the config file, start up LW, load up a cube, switch to world coordinate system, and rotate on just the pitch axis...but all the rotation numbers move. The pitch number never gets high no matter how far I rotate...it keeps cycling between -89 and 89!

agv
11-06-2007, 05:34 PM
If I type in the rotation degrees, they work fine. It's just rotating the world coordinates by mouse that's wacky. And when I say wacky, boy do I mean w-a-c-k-y.

Surrealist.
11-06-2007, 06:29 PM
That's odd. It should work fine. Have you tried another object?

Edit: and does it do the same thing with lights and so on?

agv
11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I tried an object from the LW library and it had the same problem. I haven't tried it with a light yet. I also tried reloading LW with no avail.

I did come to a solution, though, thanks to another thread. I applied the QuaternionBooster plugin in the object's motion panel and it seems to be working so far (keep my fingers crossed).

I've never run across this before and it's very frustrating. Thanks much for your advise, Richard. If anyone else has comments, please chime in because I don't think I've solved this...just put a temporary band-aid on it.

Surrealist.
11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah, something must be fubar. How about a total reinstall?

agv
11-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah, I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling LW (also deleting configs). Is there more to it than that to start with a completely clean slate?

I even got to wonder if there was something else with my system that created this problem. If I type in the rotation numbers, it works okay...it's using the mouse to enter rotation that acts funny. But it's not funny.

BeeVee
11-07-2007, 02:40 AM
I would suggest replacing the object, however simple, with a null and then sending the scene here for people to look at.

B

agv
11-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Good idea, thanks.

Here is a test scene of the problem I'm having. If anyone can test it and post the results, thanks in advance. Oh, and a reminder: change coordinate system to world.

The problem I have is that the rotation numbers are erratic when rotating an object (in this case a null) with the handles in world coordinate mode. Pitch only goes from -89 to 89, Heading and Bank pop around -180. If I set key frames to rotate the pitch a couple times, the object spins on other axis. But no problems if the angle numbers are entered manually.

toby
11-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Loaded it and have no problems -

Are you sure you're not confusing it, if you rotate something in world coordinates it will still display the relative parent coordinates. So you will see all the rotation channels change, this is normal.

agv
11-11-2007, 03:36 AM
... if you rotate something in world coordinates it will still display the relative parent coordinates. So you will see all the rotation channels change, this is normal.

I didn't know that. Thanks toby for checking the scene. But I still have a rotation problem of some sort. If I set two key frames to rotate the pitch 360 degrees (using handles, not numeric input), it spins around on the other axis instead of just making a tumble. Mind you, it's not showing me this while I'm using the handles, just when it plays back.

I'm posting a scene showing this; I rotated only the pitch with the H and B buttons on the lower right turned off, yet it was the bank channel that received a keyframe, not the pitch.

I have only pitch selected to receive a key frame, it won't do anything if the rotation was in increments of 180 degrees.

Is it just me?:stumped:

agv
11-11-2007, 03:49 AM
EDIT on last sentance of above post:

IF I have only pitch selected to receive a key frame, it won't do anything if the rotation was in increments of 180 degrees.

toby
11-11-2007, 11:52 AM
It's because you're animating in world coordinates - it's not the same as animating in parent coordinates, you're keying the the pitch at it's final position.

Unchecking the hpb buttons doesn't keep you from keying those channels btw, it just keeps you from grabbing the handles.

agv
11-11-2007, 02:26 PM
It's because you're animating in world coordinates - it's not the same as animating in parent coordinates, you're keying the the pitch at it's final position.
I guess I was guilty of using the tool as I wanted it to work rather than how it actually works. Funny that I've been using it for so long and never ran into this before. But at least QuaternionBooster makes it work the way I'd like it to (most of the time). Thanks again toby.;)