PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit question

d1wojo
11-04-2007, 01:06 AM
I would like to upgrade to a 64 bit os, but will the 32 bit software I have work. Lightwave, adobe - premiere - after effects - dreamweaver - ect.. I have a lot of abobe software. I have to make sure that lightwave and the rest of the software to work. Any ideas... thanks

meshpig
11-04-2007, 02:47 AM
OSX or XP/Vista?

M

d1wojo
11-04-2007, 02:05 PM
xp/vista. i would perfer xp but could live with vista.

BeeVee
11-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Yes it will all work fine - what you might have problems with are the following:

* Drivers for printers, scanners and the like - all driver-level components on a 64-bit system *have* to be 64-bit;
* Plug-ins for LightWave - if you are reliant on particular plug-ins, make sure they have a 64-bit version to use with 64-bit LightWave.

On the other hand you can use 32-bit LightWave on a 64-bit system with no problem, as you can use all your Adobe software, etc.

B

Dan_NT
11-05-2007, 10:44 AM
64-bit is advantageous because it can use 64-bit programs: these programs can address more memory, a big plus on LightWave rendering, they also process more information.

Drivers don't have to be 64-bit if I remember, but they all have to be WHQL certified by Microsoft.

Mind you, when you have 32-bit programs like your Adobe library and such they're still just 32-bit programs. Installing 16GB of RAM doesn't mean Photoshop is going to address more than 2GB at the most-- it's just how computers are. You need to check with the developers of your other programs and see if they have any 64-bit versions, if there's cost to upgrade, and the differences between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

LightWave however does have it's own 64-bit version that you can run alongside the 32-bit version. However things to note are plug-ins need to be compiled for 64-bit, so some popular plugins, notably Worley Labs stuff, do not have 64-bit versions. Also, if you like running ScreamerNet you would need a 64-bit OS on another computer to run ScreamerNet from LightWave 64-bit. Running ScreamerNet from LightWave 32-bit on a 64-bit OS to a 32-bit OS is not a problem.

That pretty much covers it, but if you have any other questions give tech support here a call.

Oh yeah, and don't make the mistake by thinking Windows Vista is automatically 64-bit... a lot of people assume as much just because they get Business Ultimate. All versions of Vista have 64-bit iterations, but you have to make sure you pick up the version that says it's 64-bit. Aside from Vista the only other Microsoft 64-bit OS is Windows XP Pro x64, and I do believe it's a paid upgrade.

Andyjaggy
11-05-2007, 11:24 AM
the biggest problem with running 64bit LW for me is the plugin support. I find myself still spending most of my time in 32bit modeler because all my most used plugins are not available in 64bit. However it is nice to have the option to switch to 64bit modeler when I start getting really large models.

Even with that though I still find I can work with larger models on a 64bit OS with 32bit modeler. The OS seems better at memory management and you see the effects in your apps.

There aren't many plugins I use in Layout that aren't available in 64bit so I seldom open up 32bit Layout. This is where you see the huge advantage to 64 bit is when working in Layout. I can render a scene with 15+ million polys on my machine. In 32bit LW I am lucky to get 3-4 million.

clagman
11-05-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm running 64 but XP now and I can definitely state that you MUST have 64 driver set or things won't work (like for instance PDF creation, or printing to certain printers etc). I've made the mistake before downloading the 32 bit WHQL driver for the toshiba we have here and guess what...

32 bit software that doesn't require it's own specific driver will work fine (as in the case of Adobe products) but they rely on drivers already in the OS to handle everything (like OpenGL etc). If you don't have one you are out of luck. This is why 64 bit windows doesn't have any Quicktime capabilities and no way to "print" a document to PDF outside the native environment. Lucky there are alternatives to Adobe's lack of PDF driver. I've been using Bullzip which is a free 64 bit driver for PDF and Quicktime Alternative for playing .mov files and such. To be honest I wouldn't give up my 64 bitness for anything. It's amazing how well working with Adobe Premier/After Effects CS3 is when you can run them both at the same time without killing yourself for not getting a 4 disc RAID 0 (provided you have the RAM installed ;o)

CoryC
11-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Ditto for me. AE and Premiere run great for the most part on 64 bit. The only thing I get on AE is my previews will grow shorter and shorter until I do a purge or restart the application. Encore seems to have some problems running on 64 bit. For the most part though, all I have had are a few minor annoyances on 64-bit that couldn't be solved. I get around it by having both a 32-bit and 64-bit system.

evolross
11-05-2007, 08:52 PM
1. What about a dual boot 32-bit Vista / 64-bit Vista? Is this a possibility?

2. What about a 32-bit Vista virtualization inside of 64-bit Vista?

My question is, if you were willing to buy both OS's, could you get the best of both worlds by using the 32-bit OS for things like PDFing, Quicktime, printing, etc.?

BeeVee
11-06-2007, 02:10 AM
1. You can do this with no problem.

2. No can do for drivers - they run in the core mode, not WoW. Codecs are included in this (most importantly and I forgot yesterday), so no QuickTime, no DiVX/xvid (although there is a 64-bit beta of xvid and there was an older version of DiVX that was 64-bit).

B

clagman
11-06-2007, 07:17 AM
1. What about a dual boot 32-bit Vista / 64-bit Vista? Is this a possibility?

2. What about a 32-bit Vista virtualization inside of 64-bit Vista?

My question is, if you were willing to buy both OS's, could you get the best of both worlds by using the 32-bit OS for things like PDFing, Quicktime, printing, etc.?

You could but imagine having to reboot the machine just to print something and running virtual machines really sucks up the resources. I know a couple of guys running Linux that way. Linux is great it just doesn't run the software I need it to but for general use it's amazing.

At any rate quicktime isn't a problem since there is quicktime alternative to play mov files and you can save your sequences out to mov files no problem, just not directly from LW (the 64 bit version left that functionality out). So far I haven't found a problem that I haven't been able to overcome pretty easily aside from the lack of Toshiba driver. I don't really use xvid/divx much, most of the content I make is for DVD but the 64 bit xvid shouldn't be long.

The thing that I'm dreading the most is the jump to HD resolution 3d. Things were just getting fast enough for me with SD rez renders. Anyway with that kind of leap in computing and memory requirements I'm sure all professionals will be forced into 64 bit OS like it or not.

danielkaiser
11-06-2007, 09:37 AM
You shouldn't have many driver problems with XP x64 as most vender's have caught up, if they haven't I wouldn't bother with their product as far as Vista I have a dual boot system and am finding Vista a bit to flakey at this time, then again it may be operator error.