PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used TriCaster Crazy??

Camera1
11-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I noticed someone selling a few TriCaster 100s on an auction site and I'm thinking of buying one.

Assuming that it does work, is there support available such as duplicate or downloadable documentation? If something breaks I'm hoping I can pack it up and send it to NewTek for repair, right?

Thanks
Camera 1

Verlon
11-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Are you talking about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NewTek-TriCaster-Portable-Live-Production-System_W0QQitemZ140175195278QQihZ004QQcategoryZ377 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

30 used tricasters on ebay from the same seller. 15 are listed as 'only used twice' (he's only running 2 ads).
He says contact him via email (and not through ebay) prior to bidding.

He is selling them for $1640
All previous sales seem to be motorcycle hardware in the <= $130 range, and he just HAPPENS to have 30 tricasters lying around?

Maybe I am paranoid, but I bet there aren't 30 tricasters sitting in someone's motorcycle performance shop.

I'd be VERY careful about that.....

I sent (through ebay) a message to that seller asking him if he even knew he was selling them.

brians0105
11-02-2007, 10:36 PM
First off, I believe the seller is violating eBay's terms if he/she is offering a Buy It Now for $1640 OUTSIDE of eBay. I don't think external deals like that are allowed.

Also, I've only heard of the "contact me first" situation with large purchases, such as houses or automobiles. It does seem strange that you have to be approved by the seller before bidding.

Brian

brians0105
11-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Also, I looked at all of this seller's other items for sale. He has about 50 items listed for sale as "test" for $3.00.

He also seems to have several other broadcast supplies for sale, but many are listed twice or three times.

So who knows what exactly is going on.

DiscreetFX
11-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Listings have now been removed for TriCasters, they must have been fake.

Sledgehammer
11-08-2007, 07:10 PM
As far as purchasing used TriCasters, however, I believe that NewTek will support them, as long as you fax in a copy of the receipt of purchase and register the unit.