PDA

View Full Version : import from .MAX

mun
07-02-2003, 03:58 AM
how can i import models from .max format to LW ?

cresshead
07-02-2003, 04:16 AM
well you have a few choices

1.export from max as a 3ds file

2.export from max as a obj file [you may need to get the plugin from maxplugins.de]

3.export from max as a fbx file [you'll need a plugin which should be in your install discs of max]

3ds files will tri your model

steve g

mun
07-02-2003, 04:30 AM
i thought about load .max object to LW (without use of 3d studio)
is something can convert .max to .lwo ?

krugerm
07-02-2003, 05:08 AM
I use Polytrans (Okino) to do the translation. It also allows me to convert CAD + other numerous formats. (Very useful.) That being said, I _don't_ use it to convert textures, so I don't know how it works on that side. (My single attempt to convert model + textures didn't work, but I don't need that yet, so I haven't taken time to figure it out.)

Mike

cresshead
07-02-2003, 06:02 AM
max is a non importable format due to the many things that are stored in the max file such as geometry, modifier stacks, particle systems lighting and materials and all the animatable/scriptable conponents of the .max format also note that the .max file could be using plugins which need to also exist in the version of max your loading into so it really is impossible to load a.max file into anthing other than 3dsmax or autodesk viz...also note that .max file that was made in max 5 cannot be opened in max 4 for example due to changes in the format in successive versions.

it's all down to the object oriented nature of a .max file.

steve g

3dsmax artist
lightwave artist
lightscape artist
combustion artist

cresshead
07-02-2003, 06:06 AM
just to clarify

a .max file can only be opened on the following applications

3dsmax
viz
plasma [opened yes, but can only be saved as a plasma file]
flame
flint
inferno

jevinstudios
07-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Another option for import/export of models and scene files is "Deep Exploration" by Right Hemisphere (the same folx who brought you "Deep Paint 3D"). "Deep Exploration" is MUCH cheaper than Polytrans, but works great (will run ya about $250, versus $800+ for Polytrans)!

The only catch with 3D Studio Max files (both .3ds & .max) is that you have to have a licensed version of Max installed on your system for the software to access for conversion. I mainly use "Deep Exploration" for my LW to Maya & back conversions, which have not dissappointed me at all.

Check it out at Right Hemisphere (http://www.righthemisphere.com) .