PDA

View Full Version : Steam!

IMI
11-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Steam....

I just came home from work with a brand new, shiny copy of the double DVD Orange Box - HL2, episode 1 and 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2.

I was *really* looking forward to at least getting it all installed tonight and maybe playing a little...
But, I can't even install the damn thing. The Steam server is apparently too busy for that. I already have an account - what the hell do I need the server for? Isn't that what the two DVD's are for - to get all those little 1's and 0's into my PC?

Grrrr...this is irritating.
I am sooooo much looking forward to Team Fortress 2.

IMI
11-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Oh, it finally approved me. That's what I was waiting for. Oh well, I was pi$$ed off, but it actually just gave me a laugh...
When the install finally began, the status indicator initially said "more than 1 year left to install" Now it's down to 3 minutes. I'd say that's a little more like it. :D

warrenwc
11-02-2007, 05:37 PM
From what I've heard, the problem MAY not be steam.
I believe that the DVD version of the Orange Box has another copy protection software incorporated.:compbeati
I don't recall the name, but to get one protected ONLY by Steam, I think you have to buy it from Steam online.
Good luck though, I hope to buy mine soon.

Steamthrower
11-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I am one of the few who actually likes Steam. Now, whatever PC I migrate to, I will always have CS:S and Half-Life 2 ready for download. I don't have to reregister stuff, activate stuff, etc. I absolutely hate the way Microsoft does their stuff, because half the time I lose the little holographic label with the magic numbers.

Hope you get it working well. And I hope that one happy day Valve might start porting to the Mac. Impossible dream...

IMI
11-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Well, it has a serial number, which it accepted first, before connecting to Steam, if that's what you mean. but then again, so does Half-Life 2.
All I've seen so far is Steam, as far as the copy protection goes, that I'm aware of.
Now that it's all installed and updated, it does the same thing as HL2. It logs me in with the same info as my previous HL2 installation, connects, I assume to the license checker, then loads and starts.
Although Steam does get annoying with the popup ads all the time.
Anyway, HL2 Episode One is all I've tried so far. Looks pretty cool. :)
I'm looking forward to seeing what team Fortress 2 is like.

IMI
11-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah, inigo, I agree - Steam is pretty cool in that respect. I love not having to use the DVD just to play. :)

Lito
11-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Actually I think the only difference between the Orange Box Steam version vs on disc is that if you delete the installation you can't just redownload from steam with the disc version, you have to reinstall with the disc version then download an update from steam.

The only game on steam that has an extra protection is Bioshock :(. That one has an activation limitation where after a certain number you have to uninstall some of your other ones before it'll let you install on another machine. If your HD dies or something similar you lose one of those activations.

DiscreetFX
11-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Was the graphics in Orange Box made with LW3D?

DogBoy
11-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Was the graphics in Orange Box made with LW3D?

XSI

Sande
11-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Speaking of Steam and LW3D graphics, this now seems like a good opportunity for a shameless ad... ;)

Shadowgrounds Survivor (a spin off/sequel to original Shadowgrounds published couple of years ago) is coming to Steam on 14th of November. Coming Soon-page (http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=game&AppId=11200&cc=FI) is already set up at Steam website.

For those who don't know it yet, the preview from Worthplaying (http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=46537) sums it up quite nicely: "If you love action, suspense, Space Opera sci-fi and killing aliens, then you'll love Survivor!" - I'd like to add that if you loved Alien Breed (one of my personal retro favourites from Amiga!), Alien Syndrome or even Doom 3, you probably will love this too. :)

IMI
11-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Sounds cool, Sande. :)

I have to say, HL2 - Episodes 1 and 2 are pretty nice in the graphics department. Episode 2, at least the beginning, is a very nice change of scenery. Beautiful, really. I had vowed to myself I wasn't going to open Episode 2 before completing Episode 1, but I couldn't help it. :D

Stooch
11-04-2007, 03:51 PM
I play on steam all the time. TF2 mostly. my player name is guess what?

STOOCH. thats right. so if you see a stooch shooting you in the face with a sniper gun its probably me.

IMI
11-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I play on steam all the time. TF2 mostly. my player name is guess what?

STOOCH. thats right. so if you see a stooch shooting you in the face with a sniper gun its probably me.

I'll be sure to be watching out for you. :D

Steamthrower
11-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Man. I miss out on everything. Macs miss out on the fun, guys, you're rubbing it in. Mayhaps I need to start to dual-boot...

Stooch
11-04-2007, 08:29 PM
lol join the dark siide! but seriously if you are doing 3d art you should be dual booting anyway. ;)

Steamthrower
11-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Now come on, Stooch :D

There are thousands of 3D art folk doing their stuff on nothing but a Mac, admit it!

IMI
11-05-2007, 05:23 AM
Personally I would think dual-booting between Windows and Mac would be a pain in the butt. For that matter I don't even know how it would be done.

I love my PC and I've been using Windows since 3.1, but I'd love to have one of those dual quad core Mac's, too.

Steamthrower
11-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Dual booting is a pain, I used Boot Camp a while back between OS X and Windows XP. It means restarting your computer and holding down the option key. That in itself is as simple as it can be, but it's just the entire logistics of turning off your computer. When using XP, you can't look at your email, can't listen to iTunes, etc., not without doing major sync things that are, yes, a "pain in the butt".

I think it'd be easier for gaming, though, since I'm not checking email then anyway.

warrenwc
11-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Dude,
Check out VMware & Parallels.
You can run Windows programs without booting to Windows(IF you have an Intel Mac with Windows installed in a partition.

Stooch
11-05-2007, 09:05 PM
i dont know what you guys are talking about i use dual boot intel macs at www.roger.tv when i work there all the time, its really no big deal the entire process takes about a minute of my time and i can easily check my email and launch my IM client (i use miranda).

anyway what the hell are youi doing browsing email and chatting anyway? YOU GOT WORK TO DO! lol.

and yes im aware that there are poor souls out there doing all 3d entirely on macs. they are the ones usually complaining about lack of osx compiled plugins or 64bit compatibility. but hey its a life style, i get it.

now fire up those dual boots and come join me on STEAM ill gladly put a round between those mac loving eyes any day of the week :)

Steamthrower
11-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Dude,
Check out VMware & Parallels.

Dude, I have Parallels Desktop but you can't run video games on it (anything over DirectX 8.5). However I do use it for minor things like random .exe apps I need to run.

Dan_NT
11-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Parallels works well for minor tasks, but it's only emulation, and it's done within the Mac kernel so it can only be so good. For playing games you'll need to get Boot Camp, which I think is a smart thing to do anyway, that way you can run any piece of Windows software, and in a case like ours you could have all iterations of a single version of LightWave on a single computer without extra licensing costs (Power PC, Universal Binary, Win-32 and Win-64) if you dual booted with a 64-bit Windows OS on an Intel.

If I didn't like building computers as much as I do I'd prefer to save up and get a nice iMac or better yet a Mac Book Pro (I could use a laptop).

Steam is a nice product, I've never had any problems with it, I just wish there was an easy way to get LightWave objects into Hammer, although granted I haven't done much research. Oh and TF2 is very very awesome, Portal is better and who doesn't like Half-Life? Best FPS ever next to Quake.

Steamthrower
11-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Half-Life 2 is an amazing little game. Far Cry was fairly decent though a bit too fantastical for me. Personally my favorite is Counter-Strike: Source, though, as long as you stay away from the n00bs who chat around in l33tsp33k all day.

IMI
11-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Portal is better and who doesn't like Half-Life? Best FPS ever next to Quake.

Portal is interesting. I haven't gotten too deep into it yet, but it seems cool.
Quake is better than Half-Life? I suppose I ought to be embarrassed about this, but I've never played any of the Quake series...

I just finished HL-2, Episode 1. It was pretty good, I have to say, but it seems like it ended way too soon. Not that I'm disappointed with it - not at all - but I was expecting it to be as involved as HL2 Episode, uhh, Episode Zero, I guess. :D

One thing I think is really cool about the HL2 games is the interactive commentary you can go through as an option. it's pretty interesting to hear those comments and explanations from their team, themselves. :)

yazan
11-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Man. I miss out on everything. Macs miss out on the fun, guys, you're rubbing it in. Mayhaps I need to start to dual-boot...

I have MBP 2.4, with 2GRAM and I was able to run TF2 on Crossover directly, it works as advertised. The graphics aren't as great as a full on windows version, but playability is great. The only downside is starting the steam server and the game. Once you're in, its normal killing.

Yazan

Steamthrower
11-07-2007, 08:46 AM
That sounds good. Too bad I just spent $80 on Parallels Desktop. Which works decently I'll have to admit, but nothing with 3D graphics.

A question about it: does Crossover require you to assign RAM to it? With Parallels you have to do that, and the "recommended" amount for my system is 384 MB, which is laughable, though it's possible for me to assign up to almost a GB to it.

IMI
11-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Yes...well... back to Steam and HL for a moment if I may? ;)

Almost through HL2 Episode 2 - but it takes a serious twist towards the highly difficult. Personally I think that Episode 2 is alot more fun than Episode 1.
They say it's supposed to be a trilogy... Episode 3 should be well-worth the wait. :)

BeeVee
11-08-2007, 07:22 AM
That would make it a quadrilogy, no? ;)

B

IMI
11-08-2007, 07:26 AM
That would make it a quadrilogy, no? ;)

B

I guess. ;)
But in the commentary part at the beginning of Episode 2, Gabe Newell says that it's the second part of a trilogy.
I don't know what to call HL 2 any longer, unless, as I mentioned above, it's Episode 0. I think they just wanted to confuse us. ;)

And I'm really hoping there will be a Half-Life 3. Gotta keep Freeman alive....

Steamthrower
11-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Apparently, if you go through the Wikipedia page, Half Life 3 = Episode One + Episode 2 + Episode 3. I really think that they're just doing it in installments.

IMI
11-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Pretty interesting stuff there on that Wikipedia page.

yazan
11-09-2007, 02:11 AM
That sounds good. Too bad I just spent $80 on Parallels Desktop. Which works decently I'll have to admit, but nothing with 3D graphics.

A question about it: does Crossover require you to assign RAM to it? With Parallels you have to do that, and the "recommended" amount for my system is 384 MB, which is laughable, though it's possible for me to assign up to almost a GB to it.

Honestly, all I did was download crossover. install. download steam .msi to desktop, launch crossover, launch steam. Steam gets downloaded, launches, updates itself. I log in of course. Bought Orange box on steam on my mac. The games showed up, chose TF2, doanloaded and launched. Didn' have to do anything, and I didn't have to install windows, another plus. I'm still on the trial version, but I also installed TF2 on a PC I have at work, so I'm hesitating buying crossover cause I don't wanna be pulled into playing this game all day an night, tleast now, its just during my lunch break!

Yazan