PDA

View Full Version : Can I read the current motion blur type in a UDF LScript?

Scazzino
11-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm working on a UDF LScript and I'm trying to read some settings that I can't find documented...

I can read if motion blur is on with:
Scene().renderopts[6];

I can read the blurlength with:
Camera().blurLength(Time);

But how do I read which type of motion blur is currently active?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :bowdown:

Scazzino
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Calling:
MotionBlur("");

allows me to set it, but how do I just read what it already is set to without changing it?

Scazzino
11-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Is there a way to query an LScript object (like Scene() or Camera()) to have it give a list of its available data members and methods?

Lightwolf
11-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Is there a way to query an LScript object (like Scene() or Camera()) to have it give a list of its available data members and methods?
No :(

I'd love to help more... but I've stayed away from LScript...

Cheers,
Mike

adamredwoods
11-02-2007, 01:41 PM
I dont' believe so.

Double check here:
http://dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/Lscript/Lscript%20Index.html

A great LScript reference!

If you really, really need it, you can access it through the SDK (C programming). You can create a small C plugin that dumps the info to say, SetTag, then your Lscript can use GetTag.

Scazzino
11-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys...

All I really wanted to do was write an expression that could access the blur type... I couldn't do it directly in an expression so then I moved into a UDF LScript... having to go even further into C just sounds like more trouble than it's worth... for now at least...

Thanks for the Dodgy link, yeah, that was the reference I was using and couldn't find anything listed there to read the blur type...

Bummer... :(

Lightwolf
11-02-2007, 02:00 PM
All I really wanted to do was write an expression that could access the blur type...
Famous last words :D

Cheers,
Mike

Scazzino
11-02-2007, 02:06 PM
...more trouble than it's worth...

Seems like these are more likely the famous last words... ;)

adamredwoods
11-02-2007, 02:11 PM
That's how my RigMaster plugin started two years ago. All I wanted to do was a simple little thing... :D

Lightwolf
11-02-2007, 02:18 PM
That's how my RigMaster plugin started two years ago. All I wanted to do was a simple little thing... :D
Hey, that's how I started with 3D... all I wanted to do is display the Enterprise in 3D on my C=64 ;)

Looking back... what a stupid idea really :D

Cheers,
Mike

archijam
11-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Huh (http://www.greatnorthroad.org/bboard/images/0408/enterprise-mag-front-cvr.jpg) ? :)

Scazzino
11-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey, that's how I started with 3D... all I wanted to do is display the Enterprise in 3D on my C=64 ;)

Looking back... what a stupid idea really :D

Cheers,
Mike

Ah, now I get what you meant... yup, that's usually what happens to me too...

Hey why don't I try this simple little thing... next thing ya know I've done something vastly more complex than originally intended... ;)

Talk about going down the rabbit hole... :D

jeremyhardin
11-05-2007, 11:55 PM
I try to refrain from answering questions this way, but...

If all else fails in Lscript, SaveSceneCopy and parse the scene file for whatever information you want. I don't believe there is another way for what you're trying to do.

On the other hand... Having an expression constantly doing this could get messy fast. So if you were to parse the scene, you'd want to put the expression in a motion modifier lscript and only parse on create, then use the initial state information in your expression. Maybe on save reparse since the information could have been updated.

Scazzino
11-06-2007, 09:00 AM
I try to refrain from answering questions this way, but...

If all else fails in Lscript, SaveSceneCopy and parse the scene file for whatever information you want. I don't believe there is another way for what you're trying to do.

On the other hand... Having an expression constantly doing this could get messy fast. So if you were to parse the scene, you'd want to put the expression in a motion modifier lscript and only parse on create, then use the initial state information in your expression. Maybe on save reparse since the information could have been updated.

Thanks Jeremy, I didn't think of that... It probably wouldn't be worth it for the simple spinning lights expression I was working on, but this technique could prove useful for more ambitious uses. For my lights I'll just use different expressions for each motion blur type manually.