PDA

View Full Version : Snap Drag's "One Point" option

Bodger Bowham
11-02-2007, 05:25 AM
I am a modeler using LW 9.2.

I use the Snap Drag tool a lot, and it seems to me that the option to drag 'one point' as opposed to 'all points' (in the numeric panel) is completely redundant, because if I wanted to drag one point, I would select that point only in the first place.

Although I keep choosing to drag 'all points', this keeps resetting itself to 'one point'. It's just a little pointless annoyance to me.

Anyway, I would like to know if there is a way of disabling the 'drag one point' option, so I don't have to keep wasting my time this way.

Thanks.

Pavlov
11-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Agreed. This tool should keep last state, at least. I mostly use "connected" mode, and having to chose it from menu each time is quite annoying.

Paolo

R Haseltine
11-02-2007, 01:32 PM
It isn't redundant, though it does depend on workflow. When adjusting uv maps I often select a whole bunch of vertices, which is often easier done in a different view, then jump between the different modes for Snap Drag to achieve the required results. But I do agree it should remember its last state.

Surrealist.
11-02-2007, 09:46 PM
The Snap Drag tool keeps its state here for me very similar to how most of the modify tools do - Rotate, Move, Dragnet etc. They will keep a state for the current session and revert back to default the next time I start Modeler.

I use Snap Drag in both Connected mode and in One Point Mode so I go back and forth a lot.

Connected Mode:

Good for dragging separate objects in one layer. I also use it to drag one large piece of something over and snap it into place.

One Point Mode

I use this as a sort of alternate to welding. If I have some geometry I need to connect on a point by point basis I can just snap it into place by dragging it saving the multiple steps of selection included with weld. When I am done I just merge points. (unless I need to keep the parts unconnected)

All Points

I have never used this mode but logic would suggest that if I wanted to drag all the points that would mean I would have also have selected some points that I want to move parts of from two or more things that are not connected.

Selection:

It just depends on what you are building and what your work flow is. But to me having to select something just to do something is an extra step. So if a tool has a setting such as the rotate tool (set to point radial fall off for a large area so I can grab one piece and rotate it all) I use that setting rather than have to make a selection. That's my workflow preference anyway. :)

But again it really depends and for me too there are many times in a certain situation I will select one point and move it, but just not all the time.

For tools like the Add Edges tool I am finding I prefer to make a selection on polys first as it speeds things up if I am on a larger mesh.

Just some thoughts for what it is worth.