PDA

View Full Version : Engine model

kmaas
11-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Anyone know where I might find a good model of a 4-cylinder engine with internal parts (cylinders, crankshaft, etc.)? I'm having trouble find anything on TurboSquid that isn't in .MAX format.

...or is there somewhere that has good reference images I could model off of?

benedict_ilagan
11-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Engine internal parts are easy and no pain to do. I suggess you look in the net re:engine references, gather them all and try to build the model to your own liking and settings. Especially, if this are all .max format... you can easily setup things like links and contraints features in 3dmax...me too have seen the possible combinations of max and LW. hope it helps...!!! :D

lesterfoster
11-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Here is a good reference animation that I found on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfTX88Sv4I8

There are also other good animations and videos of how a engine works there.

Also I found this link by doing a search on Google for “3D car animation” there are a lot of good links on Google too.

Hope this helps.

I also agree with dickie_ilagan. The internal parts should not be hard to model with LightWave.

Hopper
11-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Your post sparked some intrigue in that I'm a car buff of sorts (classics), and am into modeling older cars and such. I've only attempted to model the "shell" of the cars and nothing internal - or to scale for that matter. So I tooled out to the garage and picked up an old shop manual. Sure enough, an excellent resource for modelling engine parts from scratch. Excellent line drawings from standard orthographic views as well as measurements and perspective views of assembly and motion. Of course, I wouldn't recommend modeling from scratch unless you absolutely have to. There are some pre-made .MAX models and tons of image resources on automotive sites, howstuffworks.com, etc... But just something to think about if you're looking to do something with a little more detail. It would be a good build/animation challenge.

Hopper
11-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Here is a good reference animation that I found on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfTX88Sv4I8

Wow, that was pretty cool. Not blockbuster movie special effects or anything, but simple, to the point, and interesting to watch. Now if I can just get the wife to watch it, so she'll stop pestering me in the garage "What does that do?" .. "How does that work?"... "What happens when I do THIS?" .. (BAM)... 8~