PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for Community Renderfarm

drclare
07-01-2003, 11:34 PM
I just had this idea, im sure it's not original, but i thought i would throw it out there. Wouldn't it be cool if we could arrange some sort of Mac only, community renderfarm. Since we all obviously have at least one computer, some people have more, and i assume that not everyone is rendering 24/7 people might be able to help others out by rendering small chunks of their projects. Since lightwave files are small scenes and objects could be sent with instructions over the internet. Now i konw that everyone is busy, and that there would be a large number of factors to address, such as making sure that no one steals other people's work, but this forum might be a good place to start. Im also thinking that this should be a trade type of system, so rather than charging for render time, light real render farms, we could trade time with one another. Im intersted in finding out if anyone thinks this is a good idea or has other ideas and enhancements to this, so let me hear 'em.

Beamtracer
07-01-2003, 11:42 PM
One day you'll be able to buy render time online, rather than doing it on your own CPU. Companies with huge clusters of computers will rent you MHz for the dollar (well, by that time it might be Tetrahertz).

drclare
07-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Well there is a company that does this allready, it was advertised on the lightwave site. I forget what it was called, but it was pretty expensive, at least in my opinion.

toby
07-02-2003, 12:26 AM
yes there are companies that do that, but what he's suggesting is that each one of us share our own processing power.

It's a good idea, but I don't think technology's ready for it - Screamernet is awkward enough as it is, and all machines would have to have all the plug-ins used by whatever scene, I think it would take years to make it work even half decent. (that's including logistics)

if you can find someone with the time to spare, you could try to work it out with just the 2 of you, then try and expand once you get it working - Actually, a website devoted to this would probably be the best way, you'd need a web progammer... and how to transfer 100's of megs of rendered frames back and forth?

I think Mac only is a good idea, but only to avoid compatibility issues with LW and networking.

drclare
07-02-2003, 12:31 AM
That's true, i totally forgot about transferring the final rendered images. If it was just a few frames it would probably be okay. And yeah, a website would be best. I just want to find out if there would be enough interest to pursue this. Personally, i don't use any more plug-ins than what comes with lightwave, so i hadn't thought of that either. And i wasn't really thinking of screamernet either. Basically i was just thinking that if someone had, say, a couple of hours to spare they could render someone's scene on their one or dual cpus, like normal.

js33
07-02-2003, 12:31 AM
Beam,

There are several companies that do this already. It's been done for several years now.
Also I remember reading how Cinema has sort of a peer-to-peer network rendering or has had for several years. IIRC it would let you render on any computers no matter where they were. LAN or internet.

Cheers,
JS

toby
07-02-2003, 12:37 AM
ILM has it set up where if you don't use your computer for several minutes, instead of going to sleep it loads a scene and starts rendering.

Ade
07-02-2003, 03:22 AM
Bit like "dream" function I described once, tjhat osx should have..

Beamtracer
07-02-2003, 03:44 AM
I was hoping that Apple's Panther OS would bring clustering, but it doesn't seem to be. I still think Apple is working on it, though.

OS level clustering, as far as I know, would not involve the transfer of models and scenes across the network. I think only computations go across.

The size of the finished rendered files can be significant. I usually render out to 16bpc PSD files. 50 or 60 frames per second. 8MB per frame. It doesn't take long before you have a lot of data on your hands. If you had to go and collect all those files from somewhere remote it could be terabytes worth.

riki
07-02-2003, 06:18 AM
These guys better start paying me a commission :) http://www.respower.com/

drclare
07-02-2003, 12:39 PM
respower.com, that was the one that i was thinking of. And at .50c per hour that's not too bad, although it would still add up if you were rendering thousands of frames.

claw
07-05-2003, 08:46 AM
I thougt about it my self. And I would really wan't to try if it works!

JackDeL
07-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by drclare
respower.com, that was the one that i was thinking of. And at .50c per hour that's not too bad, although it would still add up if you were rendering thousands of frames.

I checked out their website a while back, and they charge .50 cents per MHZ hour. so I'm sure that's not the same as an actual hour of time. I suspect that could be more expensive than it sounds!:D

somebody correct me if I'm wrong though!

drclare
07-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Actually, i think it said per GHz hour and that they render on 1 GHz cpus. So i would take that to mean that if your project takes 1 hour to render on 1 GHz cpu you would pay 50 cents. But since you would probably need a bunch of cpus running for a large number of hours, yeah, that would add up.

toby
07-05-2003, 04:05 PM
hmmm... 10 1ghz cpu's rendering 10 hrs. - for 50 bucks

Chris's benchmarks puts them at about 5 min. for the raytrace scene - that would be 12 frames an hour - total 1200 frames for $50

It would have to be real important for me to use this service but I guess that's what they're for

toby
07-05-2003, 04:11 PM
of course a community renderfarm (when it becomes possible) would be free (relatively) and much more powerful! Imagine a global render network - render an hdri animation in seconds! our own matrix!