PDA

View Full Version : Mouse problems with LW

-wT-
02-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Hm, haven't been on CGTalk for ages, and now this place has been updated...

Well to the problem: (Somehow I feel there won't be much replies to this one)
I bought a new mouse just now, to replace my old Mouseman+. The new mouse is the Mouseman Dual Optical (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=3&CONTENTID=4984&countryid=5&languageid=1) with the same buttons as with the older mouse, the normal left and right + wheel + thumb.

Well, with the Mouse, I also changed the Mouseware version I was using (Was using 9.00 but it doesn't support the newer mouse) and it's now the newest 9.75.
Now I've noticed that LW just plain ignores every button assigment made in the Mouseware panel. Like I've always set the thumb button to be the middle button, but LW keeps treating the wheel as the middle button. Actually, if I changed the left button to maximize, right to minimize, wheel to open IE and thumb to shutdown my 'puter, LW wouldn't care less but use the strictly set button assigments it wants to use.
And this wasn't happening with the older Mouseman + Mouseware 9.00, with the exact same buttons.

And another funny thing I just today noticed. Apart from LW ignoring all the button assigments, it ignores every single setting if I put the mouse to the PS/2 port (The mouse comes with a PS/2 -> USB converter)
This is especially funny with the speed settings getting ignored: If I have for an example IE open on my second monitor and LW on the first, with IE on focus the mouse acts normally, but halves it's speed when LW is on focus... I dunno if I should laugh or cry...

I've tried to reinstall the Mouseware several times now, and tried a bit older version which came with the Mouse (9.71 or something), tried to reset the mouse, reinstalled LW and deleted the preferences and everything.... but no. LW is currently unusable. When plugged to USB it was somewhat usable with only the annoyance that I needed to press the wheel instead of the thumb button (And my hands all too big for a mouse that small with wheel all back like that ;)), but for a god's sake.... my cursor's plain crawling at the moment :(

Maybe I should email the technical support about this, afterall I had almost no replies at all when I posted at CGTalk awhile back... But in the last email I asked about my dual monitor problem (Summary: I have two separate vid.cards instead of a dual and LW option-boxes wanted to stay on the first monitor. Now fixed by a small progie a friend coded) and I advised to buy a true dualhead card... Uhm, ok. With this student-budget :)...

(My god.... I could've explained my problem with 1/10th of the text I've now written... Well, I hope you people like reading :))

BOLL
02-24-2003, 06:00 AM
Yay, I got the precise same problem.

I got the Logitech MX 500.

I didn't see this problem earlier because I had lower mousesens, but I found a way to use all the DPI in the mouse (800 instead of 400) and that lowered the sens by half. Though it is more precise.

Then I raised the sens in windows to max, all fine! (Though I'd still like it little higher).

Now when I change to LightWave the mousesens is ignored.
Though LightWave is not the only software doing that. I have had problems with several OpenGL applications.

I guess it's all a driver problem, Logitech surely needs to make better drivers. And more tweakable.

The tweaking I made is in the register, there I can manually change the speed on the hardware, but higher than 100 is not possible without using other drivers or without the MouseWare, jsut the drivers.

My buttons are also ignored.

The problem with using other drivers is that I can't define my buttons as I use to....

I use the two thumbbuttons as [shift] and [enter] atm.

As you say lightwave is very much unusable when the cursor is crawling, it's VERY frustrating :(

Good thing I have a tablet.... though I have only used it in Photoshop before :P *testing*

[edit]

I have tested some different applications.... I loose my settings in certain OpenGL applications, not all.
I also loose them in TeamSpeak o_O a little odd...

Anyway, I have contacted Logitech about it, I'll have to wait for their answer.

-wT-
02-24-2003, 06:34 AM
Yeah, I've emailed Newtek about the problem too, so we'll just have to wait for answers.

And if I find any solution, I'll reply here immediately.

BOLL
02-24-2003, 06:49 AM
Very good :)

I'll try and change drivers and such.... there are som tutorials spread around the net.

I think Logitech will respond in... well.... maybe a couple of weeks, I have contacted them before. Though things change :)

-wT-
02-25-2003, 07:36 AM
In case you didn't see my other thread at the General Discussion, here's the link: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=863

The solution is to install a bit older 9.73 drivers, I can't believe how happy I am as I can use LW again! :)

I hope it works for you too

Calamari
05-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Just in case people are still having mouse speed problems, here's a solution from Slope in another thread (search for "mouseware" in the forums for the original post):

"I just solved the problem - I downloaded the latest MouseWare from Logitech.com, version 9.76 and installed it. There is a new option in the MouseWare configuration window: "activate mouse acceleration in games". If I deactivate it, I experience the same mouse acceleration in Lightwave as in Windows itself.

I just wanted to post it, possilby another one has the same problem."

Calamari

slomo
03-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I know this is a seriously old topic but I ran into a problem today and this post solved it for me.

Anyways, I updated my logitech mouse to control center 6.00.84 and driver to 4.90.80. Immediately after updating I couldnt use the left/right middle mouse button/toggle at all in Lightwave. I have these set to copy and paste respectfully, just a matter of taste for my workflow.

Scouring around for a bit on google and here I found this post. For some reason the new Setpoint automatically enables the "game detection" setting. Disabling this feature restored my mouse to proper working for for LW.

Rove
03-09-2010, 01:28 PM
hahaha, glad to see it worked out for ya even if it's an old topic.

BeeVee
03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
By the way, for anyone using Logitech mice and SetPoint, an essential addition for it is Richard Owens' superb UberOptions. It allows you to define the mouse buttons on a per-app basis, rather than the "one size fits none" that Logitech give you. Try it out...

http://uberoptions.net/

B