PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave "COLLADA"

ben martin
11-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Can we (Lightwave users) expect a “COLLADA” plug-in to Lightwave (working as expected preferentially)? :devil:

Anyone, (a Newtek reply on this would be great) Yes or No? :hey:

Exception
11-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Accutrans might have collada support in the near future. that is by far the best LWO converter around, often reading and saving objects better than LW does.

That's all I can offer...

manproof
11-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Blender is what I use right now. [.lwo -> Blender -> .dae] It's free and it works for what we do.

Still, I wouldn't object to LightWave having an exporter built-in.

adamredwoods
11-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Newtek should answer this question.

As a higher-priced software, people invest their futures in it, and I feel that Newtek should reassure their customers by letting them know that they are aware of the customer base's concerns.

Why invest (money AND time) in software that may/may not be going in the direction that you may need?

Additionally, if Newtek decides that it is not something they cannot allocate in the near future, there are (us) third party developers that can easily fill the need. But we're not about to waste our time if efforts are going to be duplicated.

One could easily release a free and paid version of collada import/export. Pay for the more advanced features like animation, particles, etc. Free for basic model import/export.

//Adam

Exception
11-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Well that is all very true but I think they have their hands full with more essential stuff at the moment over at NT. You are aware that NT is not Autodesk and thus do not have hundreds of people?

There's already a limited collada plugin for Lightwave. One could build on that.
If you're interested in making one, send an email off to chuck at newtek, and I'm sur he'll tell you if they are developing one.

RedBull
11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Chuck will hate me..... But here it the quote: (Sorry Chuck.. :)
This thread comes up to often not to make an official announcement.

Quote from "Chuck Baker"

"Collada I/O is also among our plans for the 9.x cycles."

"We've been in discussions with Autodesk, and it is the case that
they will not be updating the LightWave FBX plugin. NewTek 3D Development
will be developing a new plugin for FBX support in a future 9.x series
update."

adamredwoods
11-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Thank you very much Redbull!

This type of thread was popping up WAY too often. Now we can close it.

jasonwestmas
11-02-2007, 02:27 PM
And I'll keep opening it again until it becomes a reality, Muhahahaha!