PDA

View Full Version : running on UB

v1u1ant
11-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Just need to know what all you Mac users are doing now 9.3 is out and dosent have FPrime available for UB yet. Kray? Vray?

Or are you working in UB then rendering out in CFM with FPrime???? Confused.
Is it worth installing a CFM version of LW onto an Intel mac?

Id just like to speed up my workflow as much as is possible, its getting a boit annoying using the native renderer or Viper for previewing stuff.

Whilst im at it, excuse me for my lack of knowledge on this. Is FPrime usable for final renders/CA's? Or you you all go back to using the native renderer for your final outputs?

Cheers

archijam
11-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Kray works fine here (on UB .. got to update my siggg) ...

j.

Scazzino
11-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I primarily use FPrime as a fast interactive previewer. I use LW93 CFM with FPrime when working on textures or lighting where the fast previewer really accelerates workflow, even though Rosetta slows down the software. FPrime makes "me" faster where the UB makes Layout faster... I use the UB when I don't need that fast FPrime previewer. So I basically bounce back and forth depending upon exactly what I'm doing at the time.

Once there's an FPrime UB, I won't need LWCFM any longer... ;)

:thumbsup:

MacDoggie
11-05-2007, 09:33 AM
I primarily use FPrime as a fast interactive previewer. I use LW93 CFM with FPrime when working on textures or lighting where the fast previewer really accelerates workflow, even though Rosetta slows down the software. FPrime makes "me" faster where the UB makes Layout faster... I use the UB when I don't need that fast FPrime previewer. So I basically bounce back and forth depending upon exactly what I'm doing at the time.

Hey Mike good to see ya mate!

Make sense to me, I have just recently switched to using the UB version and while I am very impressed with the rendering capablities, the lack of third party support has been disappointing to say the least. However, I do realise that eventually, there will be much improved support for third party plugs.

At this point in time I like you have resigned myself to the fact that I will most likely be running two builds of LW not the first time, this being the case, I am used to it. While I am really impressed with the UB builds I do have to say that it still has a "not quite ready for prime" time feel to it especially with the hub compared to the CFM builds.

Good chatting with you as always, Keep the faith.

Cheers

MacDoggie
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM

Hey Mike good to see ya mate!

Make sense to me, I have just recently switched to using the UB version and while I am very impressed with the rendering capablities, the lack of third party support has been disappointing to say the least. However, I do realise that eventually, there will be much improved support for third party plugs.

At this point in time I like you have resigned myself to the fact that I will most likely be running two builds of LW not the first time, this being the case, I am used to it. While I am really impressed with the UB builds I do have to say that it still has a "not quite ready for prime" time feel to it especially with the hub compared to the CFM builds.

Good chatting with you as always, Keep the faith.

Cheers

G M D THREE
11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
We are a all mac studio here and even we installed UB LW on all the Intel macs we have, we consider it far from stable for production. Even render speed is impressive there is not much advantage to it. We had tones of random trouble with it. Giant lag when hub is running, it makes the work flow pretty much dysfunctional. Even when we trash UB hub there is still the phenomenon that pull down menu's disappear. Some artist at the studio would say that its less crashy when PSD CS3 is not running in the back blaming it on the new 3d features in PSD. Most errors are so random with it that it almost starts urban myths. ... lol

In terms of FPrime and Mac, the sad true is that FPrime is not nearly as stable as it is on the PC site. It is known to crash when ever you touch a image texture or play to much with any surface settings as it is ruining. Worley Lab told me on the phone not so long ago that this is all due to SDK and that till it changes there wont be a UB version of it. Knowing how often Newtek changes SDK we probably wont see a UB version of FPrime in years.

Bottom line. The beauty of LW to me is the fact that there is a infinite amount of plug ins and lw scripts out there created by the programing geniuses among the LW user community. As there always has been a way smaller amount for the mac platform, with switching to UB it pretty much went back to zero. Knowing that most plugs where created on a project solving base we can be certain that they wont ever be ported for Mac UB.

///

Scazzino
11-14-2007, 11:16 AM
I've been running both the CFM and UB builds pretty well. CFM when I need FPrime preview, UB when I don't need FPrime preview.

They've been pretty stable for me so far.

The CFM build's been quite stable as long as I pause/resume the FPrime window during image/surface/object changes.

The UB build's been quite stable as long as I wait to start a preview until after all the OpenGL viewports finish updating. I run with the Hub disabled, so I don't see any of that slowdown and switching out and back into LW fixes the missing popups if that happens once in a while. Since this is the first LW UB, I really expected it to have more issues than it does. I'm sure it'll just keep getting better with each update.

There are quite a few UB plugins already (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74213) with more coming online all the time.

:D

MacDoggie
11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
We are a all mac studio here and even we installed UB LW on all the Intel macs we have, we consider it far from stable for production. Even render speed is impressive there is not much advantage to it. We had tones of random trouble with it. Giant lag when hub is running, it makes the work flow pretty much dysfunctional. Even when we trash UB hub there is still the phenomenon that pull down menu's disappear. Some artist at the studio would say that its less crashy when PSD CS3 is not running in the back blaming it on the new 3d features in PSD. Most errors are so random with it that it almost starts urban myths. ... lol

Sorry to hear that We have been using the UB builds for awhile and while it is far from perfect the rendering speeds make up for it a lot. In addition we use the CFM version for modeling and texturing. As to CS3, that hasen't happened here yet so we don't have issues with the CS suite running in the background.

In terms of FPrime and Mac, the sad true is that FPrime is not nearly as stable as it is on the PC site. It is known to crash when ever you touch a image texture or play to much with any surface settings as it is ruining. Worley Lab told me on the phone not so long ago that this is all due to SDK and that till it changes there wont be a UB version of it. Knowing how often Newtek changes SDK we probably wont see a UB version of FPrime in years.

True F-Prime will never see the light of UB day for sometime I reckon that is pretty much a safe statement for now. But as mentioned I use F-Prime quite a bit with the CFM builds for now. True, you have to pause F-Prime so it does not have the flexibility in this respect but it does work in this environment. We are pretty used to running two builds of LW these days. Happens just as much in the wintel world as well. Every platform has it's issues...

Bottom line. The beauty of LW to me is the fact that there is a infinite amount of plug ins and lw scripts out there created by the programing geniuses among the LW user community. As there always has been a way smaller amount for the mac platform, with switching to UB it pretty much went back to zero. Knowing that most plugs where created on a project solving base we can be certain that they wont ever be ported for Mac UB.

///

Most of the Plugs or scripts that I just can't live without have Mac ports so I am fine and I am still downloading more scripts that I come across daily so I am not certain I agree with you here. As a matter of fact this smacks of another one of those urban legends you mentioned earlier:hey:

LW is still undergoing many changes as I feel we are just beginning to scratch the surface here. Hopefully the 64 bit versions of LW for the Mac will start manifesting soon as well. But till then what we have here works and get's the job done and we get paid, and that's what matters ... right?

IMO the Mac is a great environment for LW and is getting better all the time. We're just getting started.

Cheers